Enterprise D.How can I make the window lighting different shades?

Drudge

Hi,

Anyone know a way to get different sections of the windows on the Enterprise D to have different subtle shades of warm and cool white illumination with the windows like in this image.Is there away to get this similiar effect with the AMT 1/1400 scale clear version kit using translucent paints or some kind of colored/tinted films?

Has anyone tried this and would the effect be noticeable on a scale this size?

USS_Hathaway_attacks_the_Enterprise-D.jpg

Not being an expert with lighting, I'd try warm white LEDs and paint the areas of the cooler windows from behind with a clear blue color. The warm white LEDs actually radiate both blueish and yellowish light, the warm impression comes from the yellow component being brighter than the blue one (I hope that I got that right). If you send it through a clear blue color it should filter out the yellow component a bit to get a cool white... But like I said, I'm far from being an expert.

how about window tint, get a light shade and if you want it darker double up on the layers. but it will be time consuming

I was thinking about that,but most automotive tint is a grey color and that would just reduce the light output to the windows and filter out whatever color temp of the LED's instead of resulting in a bluer or yellower tint to the section of windows.

- - - Updated - - -

Not being an expert with lighting, I'd try warm white LEDs and paint the areas of the cooler windows from behind with a clear blue color. The warm white LEDs actually radiate both blueish and yellowish light, the warm impression comes from the yellow component being brighter than the blue one (I hope that I got that right). If you send it through a clear blue color it should filter out the yellow component a bit to get a cool white... But like I said, I'm far from being an expert.

This was the direction I was leaning towards.The internal lighting will be warm white,just don't know if the clear blue will be too dark or not.

I think if you use a warm yellow-white led and paint a translucent blue on some of the windows you may get a greenish hue. I would instead go with a cool white lighting and tint with translucent yellow on the inside of the hull on your desired windows.

There are various clear coloured paints out there and you could do a few test runs with those. I have used this on some models where i use white LED but want a red glow for impulse engines. Tamiya do a whole range of clear coloured paints, they are really quite good. Perhaps you could even tint the LEDS and that would show across a few of the windows in specific sections.

Instead of paints...have you thought of theatrical gel sheets? Check out this website for examples:

Gel Sheets

Theres several levels of cool white to warm white sheets that might meet your needs that you can experiment with to get just the subtle lighting you want and perhaps cut out a small enough piece to tape or glue over the inside of a window to fit your needs. Theres also colored cellophane but the colored choices are more limited.

Last edited:
I guess it is down to you, no one would be able to say who is in what room when and whether they have the lights on or not.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back