Fallout 4

Jason Bright was a non-feral one too, it seems to be a hundred to one fluke. Although in the first fallout when you find the replacement water chip there's like 5 or 6 glowing ones that aren't feral in the sewer so maybe Interplay meant for them to be more common?

I only played F1 and 2 once (after F3 came out) so I forgot a lot of that. I think someone at Bethesda needs to sit down and create a Fallout bible (if they haven't) so that they are clear on what's what. Otherwise you have BoS acting like the Enclave in F4 and other inconsistencies. "We come in peace, so now go force settlements to provide supplies at any cost!"

I have a mod that lets you build your settlement beyond what the game allows. I noticed that building a handful of buildings in certain ones drop the framerate a lot. My PC is coming up on 3 years old, but was high end when I built it, and it starts chugging at certain points. So as a lot of people suspected, I'm guessing they did this to help it run on consoles, but even on PC (maybe not a brand new one) it will start slowing down a little. A couple settlements slow down a lot when I've had far less built than my main settlement.

Not to be confused with the existing Fallout bible for the first 2 games that is free online to read lol. Problem is a lot of the kids making sequels to games like this weren't old enough to play the originals and don't care if it makes sense or matches. Fallout 3 might as well have been a reboot.

Oh, and as for Ghouls... I've picked up from the games that continued exposure to radiation is what drives them Feral. Typically. Oz, in Nuka World, is the only non-Feral Glowing One I've ever seen. I've wanted to dig further into that, but haven't had the time. But I can easily see a water purifier helping keep that process at bay. With no more access to clean water, they'd eventually all either leave or go Feral. If they were trapped there, they'd go torpid, the way we see other Ferals do. So long as there's no new outside stimulation -- like a Chosen One coming into their underground town -- they'll remain in that state indefinitely. Mind gone and not moving ever again sounds a lot like death to me.

I can make it all work pretty easily. ;)

--Jonah

Again, you're missing my point here. The ghouls will DIE if they have no more clean water in FO1, not go feral. Yet, in Fallout 3, the rules of their existence changes. As described above, it was more like a reboot at Fallout 3. This has NOTHING to do with the story itself (in my opinion, mind you) but how different studios have had there hands in this pot. Different writers, different visions. Rebooting Fallout for the third installment made sense, because it was a game that was being "brought back". There were lots of games back then that took a while to make their way to the latest consoles (of the time), games that had come out years previously that were much simpler back then. Games that were essentially rebooted.

With this said reboot, things changed a little here and there. Again, the Mutants and ghouls are characteristic to the Fallout series, so no surprise that they'd put them in future games. And, naturally, as this game does like to surround the lore, they have to explain why there are Super Mutants and ghouls in D.C.

Remember? This was apparently the bane of every Fallout 2 fan boy's existence. Things about Fallout 3 didn't line up with the previous canon, or at least not perfectly fitting like many people seemed to have wanted. Some complained to no end (until New Vegas came out), and others tried to logically stitch the three together and pretend that the previous canon was not contradicted at all, and that "xyz" was the reason why.

My point is that the same has occurred no differently in the new game. New artists, new writers, new game. Some of the lore in this game contradicts stuff from previous games. I mean, c'mon brother..........post war armor means exactly that........post war. Why would the Enclave need to secretly make Power Armor before the war? They were part of the U.S. Government. The government seemed to be making Power Armor without it being secret just fine, no different than tanks and planes. Secret vaults for the government make sense, secret Power Armor just doesn't (at least for me it doesn't).

The fact that in the new game they undermine this fact is an example of what I'm saying. Previous games, hell even the load screen messages in FO4, state something different than what is being shown in the new game. They state the armor was made by the remnants of the govt after the great war, but the very future armor is laying around from the past? And at an amusement park, no less. Not very secretive if they have it on display at Nuka World.

As stated above (again), it seems to some of us that the team working on the story might not have been experts themselves in the older games. It's also possible that they intentionally wanted to take things in a slightly different direction. Who knows.

What is known, is that a great many of us were disappointed. So, naturally, we gave up on trying to explain why 200 year old steaks can't exist. There comes a point when you have to just enjoy the game for what it is, flaws and all. I enjoy playing it still to this day, but I could never get into the lore on this one after some of the stuff, like the ********* version of the Brotherhood trying to take over the damn planet.

But, to each his own. I envy the fellows who can draw some enjoyment out of the lore on this one. Cheers to that at least. :cheers

I do, indeed. :D I get a little grouchy when they get things "wrong", but then I start treating it like an archaeological thing -- the lore gets updated as we learn more accurate info about what happened. The day the bombs fell disrupted a lot. Some was lost. More was misplaced or forgotten. People thought the Enclave created the Advanced Power Armor post-war because no one had ever seen it before. Turns out there had been prototypes made late in the War. People thought Ghouls would die without food or water. Turns out they just go "deathlike" to save whatever remaining energy they have. We've had to completely one-eighty our stances on a lot of things out here in the real world, so I have no problem applying the same approach here. A bit over a hundred years ago "everyone knew" Troy was a myth, and the Iliad likely entirely fiction. Now we are just as sure it was real and Homer's epic was a heavily-embellished account of people who participated in something that really happened, even if the specifics are up for debate.

Yeah, there are still glitches, like the loading screen info for the X-01, but those become the outlier. And even then they're minor -- like, if it showed the X-01 but said something like... "The Enclave took decades to create their own power armor after the war, reverse-engineered from some of the surviving early prototypes that they had made before the bombs fell." Or like that. They get a lot more right than they get wrong. Even with the inconsistencies between their own games -- are the Vault suits leather or spandex or cotton or what? Are they form-fitting or loose? Is the trim yellow or metallic gold? Is it just the jumpsuit, or does it have metal attachments? So it's not just about the disconnect between the Black Isle and Bethesda eras.

And a couple specific responses...

Some of the lore in this game contradicts stuff from previous games. I mean, c'mon brother..........post war armor means exactly that........post war. Why would the Enclave need to secretly make Power Armor before the war? They were part of the U.S. Government. The government seemed to be making Power Armor without it being secret just fine, no different than tanks and planes. Secret vaults for the government make sense, secret Power Armor just doesn't (at least for me it doesn't).

The fact that in the new game they undermine this fact is an example of what I'm saying. Previous games, hell even the load screen messages in FO4, state something different than what is being shown in the new game. They state the armor was made by the remnants of the govt after the great war, but the very future armor is laying around from the past? And at an amusement park, no less. Not very secretive if they have it on display at Nuka World.

The Enclave was the sort of "secret cabal" a lot of conspiracy theorists believe is operating within our own society, and the legitimate government didn't know what they were up to. The T-series power armors were developed by one defense contractor, publicly. The Enclave had taken notes and had their own engineers use their trial-and-error and technical refinement to leapfrog to the next level. While Nuka World opened in 2050, the Galactic Zone didn't open until 2072. And, further, the suit in question here is a Quantum-enhanced X-01, and Quantum was only developed in 2076 and '77. The park had only just rolled out their Quantum-themed attractions and the soda was released to the public the same day the bombs fell. Things didn't fall apart instantly, either. The military research that had seen the soda developed as a side benefit was completed several days after the bombs fell. There were still people, and they were still doing things, even as everything was breaking down around them.

I will take the fact that one was put on display at Nuka World in the fall of 2076 as an indicator that the Enclave were ready to go public with it, had circumstances not intervened. That suit is set at MkV. While you can find pieces up to MkVI, all the other complete suits are capped at MkIII. I treat the "MkVI" as as much of a gameplay thing as the a-f upgrades you can apply to the T-series armors. The T-45 only made it up to version 'd' before being replaced by the T-51. The T-51a (probably the early prototypes) never saw service, with the T-51b being the first to see service in Anchorage. I can see a few more upgrade cycles maybe up to 'c' or 'd' by the time the bombs fell. I can see Vault-Tec going with the latest version for their custom sets. I don't know that the T-60 ever would have gotten past 'b', as it was just being issued widely when the bombs fell. So I treat all the higher degrees of any of those armors as "hot-rodding" done by post-War tinkerers. So the MkV Bradberton had cooked up would have been something pretty special, and the MkIII's (ignoring the level-based spawn factor) at or en route to the various facilities where you find the complete suits were the earlier prototypes... Then yes, any subsequent work to try to get more MkV's out there (and the difficulties they faced in doing so with so much infrastructure, data, and the people involved lost) would be "post-War". Given "the war was over in a couple hours", anything that happened even the next day would have been post-War. No one was fighting any more. Surviving enemy soldiers (and the odd enemy submarine) were stranded. There was the war, which culminated in the nukes being exchanged -- and then right after was just picking up the pieces.

So, naturally, we gave up on trying to explain why 200 year old steaks can't exist.

Is this referring to the "salisbury steak" one finds around the wastes in fridges and whatnot (which is, essentially, glorified meatloaf -- i.e., processed food)? And, by extension, Cram, Sugar Bombs, Pork'n'Beans, Dandy Boy Apples, Yum Yum Deviled Eggs, and so forth? I accept that for what it is -- poking fun at the shelf-life of irradiated foods (not sure if you're familiar with that in the real-world application). It's one of the tropes ntegral to the game, like giant mutated insects, personal robot butlers, and atomic-powered everything. It was part of that same chrome-and-aquamarine THE FUTURE! we were promised in the '50s. Yes, even irradiated, cooked, and vacuum-sealed foods would go off after a couple centuries. But radscorpions couldn't exist, either -- they'd collapse under their own weight. If we have to accept one with a nod and a wink, ditto the other. I wouldn't lump that in with the other "bad writing". If, though, you're referring to actual steaks, the only ones I run across are from more recent mutated animals, like Brahmin, so I doubt they're a couple centuries old.

I enjoy playing it still to this day, but I could never get into the lore on this one after some of the stuff, like the ********* version of the Brotherhood trying to take over the damn planet.

Now, tihs is where we come into agreement. My biggest issues are gameplay-related. All the way back to Fallout 3. They've tweaked and refined the controls, the number of things you can interact with, and the amount of stuff you can do with them. They've gotten rid of gear condition (thank god), removed the level cap, and incorporated a lot more customization and crafting, all of which I applaud. But I have issues with the core stories of 3 and 4. New Vegas is such an oddbal for having so much content and being so neutral about what you "should" do. I know the canon ending favors the NCR, and I'm fine with that, but the game doesn't railroad you into it. And there was so much there, especially with all the DLC. But 3 and 4... *sigh*

The original ending of F3 was so infamous, we're still discussing it. No flexibility. You walked your own self in and gave up your life to get the purifier running. Noble, but there were plenty of alternatives -- including endings counter to the canon one, where you, I don't know, blow it up or something, for whatever reason. And the forced main quest... First time I played, I was doing what I do -- I was out exploring the Wasteland, scouting locations so I could fast-travel to them later for more through clearing, doing side quests... Hadn't even been to Galaxy News Radio yet, let alone Rivet City... and I found my dad in the simulator. But because I hadn't followed the right steps to get there, I didn't have whatever it was we needed to get out, and I was stuck. Had to load an earlier save and skip that location. Why wasn't the possibility of players ignoring the main quest line and accidentally stumbling on the character's father considered?

With 4, the whole thing with the player character's family is such a red herring. You can romance people days after you've seen your spouse shot in front of you. When you find your son, it's... ah... so drastically not what you expect as to be meaningless. Remove the familial relation and things can play out pretty much the same way. When the main driving motivation of the player character is meaningless and irrelevant to absolutely everything, might need to be rethought... The way the Brotherhood acted in 4 is right out of character for how they were in 3 -- and even New Vegas. They act like the Outcasts or the Enclave. I jotted down on a napkin while watching someone else playing though the Institute and Brotherhood endgames a couple thoughts that would have made everything more consistent with the two previous games (let alone the ones that came before) and its own damn story. The Institute is Enclave. The folks who roll into town are either Enclave or Outcasts. There are real BoS scouts on the ground. Elder Maxson has been alerted. And the last DLC can be him arriving with the true Capitol BoS to smack down the evil tech people (whichever faction they are) and take over the Institute with the player character's help, moving the Railroad in to rehabilitate the synths, and leaving Danse in charge, with you as a strong ally, being General of the Minutemen.

I want the people you run into in-game to react more authentically to how you're equipped. I don't care how many drugs you're on, I have a hard time believing a Raider will think he can take out someone in power armor armed with a gauss rifle... with a pool cue. I want Danse to recognize that I'm even wearing power armor. I want stuff from the character's backstory to be relevant in-game (all those missed opportunities to use you having been a soldier in the War, anyone?)

Overall I want what 1 and 2 had -- you're helping re-establish civilization out of the chaos of the wastes. Getting the purifier going in 3 was important, yes, and I like seeing the Wasteland Survival Guide in New Vegas, but there's no mention of things in 4. No one mentions the harbor is less radioactive and wonders why. And I'd really, really like to feel I'm accomplishing something with all the peaceful settlements I visit/establish in all three of the more recent games. You've wiped out or convinced all the Raiders, super mutants, and feral ghouls. You've given the civilizing influences a chance to get some traction... I loved the evolution of th eNCR from 1 to 2. It would be great to see some of that continue.

So yeah, those are my biggies. Flexibility of gameplay (corollary, absence of railroading), authenticity of interaction, and -- the reason we play these games in the first place -- actually feeling like you're accomplishing something.

--Jonah

Last edited:
The original ending of F3 was so infamous, we're still discussing it. No flexibility. You walked your own self in and gave up your life to get the purifier running. Noble, but there were plenty of alternatives -- including endings counter to the canon one, where you, I don't know, blow it up or something, for whatever reason. And the forced main quest... First time I played, I was doing what I do -- I was out exploring the Wasteland, scouting locations so I could fast-travel to them later for more through clearing, doing side quests... Hadn't even been to Galaxy News Radio yet, let alone Rivet City... and I found my dad in the simulator. But because I hadn't followed the right steps to get there, I didn't have whatever it was we needed to get out, and I was stuck. Had to load an earlier save and skip that location. Why wasn't the possibility of players ignoring the main quest line and accidentally stumbling on the character's father considered?

When it comes to comparing Fallout games made by Bethesda and the original team (Black Isle and Obsidian), there is a stark contrast when it comes to how each group handles the story of the games. For the original team, you play a character who is mostly a blank slate for you to emulate your own personality onto, while Bethesda gives you a character with a backstory and a pre-determined path and your character's personality is already set in stone.

Example. Fallout 3 is not about your player character, it's about your Dad. He gets all the backstories and development while you, the player character, are used as his final means of getting what he wants to happen done. In Fallout 4, you play a mother/father who have only one real concern. Finding your son. That's it. You are given no choice or say in the matter since everything that involves your son becomes your number one priority. And when the game is over, the only thing that your character cares about is how the events of the game took away your son again and not about anything else.

Bethesda's problem with Fallout is that they use the player character to tell their story, rather than having the player character discover the story in the world around them. Bethesda treats the world as a backdrop while the original folk put it front and center. And as I've stated many times before. Just because Todd Howard finds that having a son of his own is the most wonderful feeling ever, that doesn't mean you can convey that feeling over a freaking game. I have zero attachment towards my player character's son Shaun and every time my character has to act emotionally over it just takes me right out of the game.

When it comes to comparing Fallout games made by Bethesda and the original team (Black Isle and Obsidian), there is a stark contrast when it comes to how each group handles the story of the games. For the original team, you play a character who is mostly a blank slate for you to emulate your own personality onto, while Bethesda gives you a character with a backstory and a pre-determined path and your character's personality is already set in stone.

Example. Fallout 3 is not about your player character, it's about your Dad. He gets all the backstories and development while you, the player character, are used as his final means of getting what he wants to happen done. In Fallout 4, you play a mother/father who have only one real concern. Finding your son. That's it. You are given no choice or say in the matter since everything that involves your son becomes your number one priority. And when the game is over, the only thing that your character cares about is how the events of the game took away your son again and not about anything else.

I hadn't looked at it that way, but I think you're on to something. This seems especially odd given Bethesda's other biggie -- Elder Scrolls. A big point of those games is the flexibility to make the character your own. Do you join the Imperial Legion? The Dark Brotherhood? There's a lot more freedom to do your own thing and have the game react accordingly. If you take this path, some of the things you would have had access to if you'd chosen that path are closed off to you, and vice versa. But at the same time, there's still some linearity to the main stories. You still have to end the Oblivion Crisis. You are still the Dragonborn. Et cetera. The similar sorts of limitations in the early FO games (you are the Vault Dweller from Vault 13, you are the descendant of the Vault Dweller -- both pretty solidly locked in) were things I'd hoped advances in computing power and branching script trees that we'd see more freedom of choice -- not less. New Vegas remains a bit of a high point as far as that goes, even if there's still only one "canon" ending that future games will devolve from.

Bethesda's problem with Fallout is that they use the player character to tell their story, rather than having the player character discover the story in the world around them. Bethesda treats the world as a backdrop while the original folk put it front and center. And as I've stated many times before. Just because Todd Howard finds that having a son of his own is the most wonderful feeling ever, that doesn't mean you can convey that feeling over a freaking game. I have zero attachment towards my player character's son Shaun and every time my character has to act emotionally over it just takes me right out of the game.

That is the big division between 1, 2, Tactics, BoS, and NV... and 3 and 4. In all those other games, you have no (relevant) familial attachments. In the original game, you leave your family behind to venture into the Wasteland to try to save your Vault, but no specific family members are involved. It's a general maguffin. In 2, your ancestry is why you're chosen to go out adventuring, but after that it has no real bearing. In NV you've got no history at all. You had the freedom to get attached to whatever characters you wanted (or not) without the game telling you what you cared about. 3 would probably have been better if your dad had disappeared or died and you had to finish his work for its own sake -- you weren't looking for him and then having him finish his work through you. With 4, have the main character (of either gender) be active Army and called to Vault 111 to hold back the mob trying to get in, and you make it in when the bombs drop. No spouse, no son. All you're mourning when you get out of the freezer is the loss of the old world.

--Jonah

Sadly Bethesda's method is what's popular with companies these days, they spoon feed gamers everything. I saw an article talking about how games these days are made so you really can't fail where in the older games you could fail easily at any time. They're dumbing games down basically. Bethesda also isn't very good at easter eggs or dark humor like Interplay and such were. Heck Inxile, run by the founder of interplay, made Wasteland 2 and you literally can accidentally nuke your entire base out of existence in an easter egg/hidden ending that gets you a trophy lol

Sadly Bethesda's method is what's popular with companies these days, they spoon feed gamers everything. I saw an article talking about how games these days are made so you really can't fail where in the older games you could fail easily at any time. They're dumbing games down basically. Bethesda also isn't very good at easter eggs or dark humor like Interplay and such were. Heck Inxile, run by the founder of interplay, made Wasteland 2 and you literally can accidentally nuke your entire base out of existence in an easter egg/hidden ending that gets you a trophy lol
I remember playing Wasteland, but I don't remember finishing it. I might have to get it for $7 and then play 2. They are trying to get backing for 3, but that won't be out until late 2019.

Last edited:
I'm still hoping for a location in a future game where the ingenious (or devious...?) company who makes food preservatives makes an appearance. On the other side of that, I think Bethesda (unlike Obsidian with NV) is not really showing a lot of progress in the East after 200 years. In NV you saw people building a govt. (yes I know the Commonwealth tried), building new weapons, trade, and economy, etc. You don't see hardly anything beyond the BoS in F3 & F4 as far as anyone really trying to fix things. As I've said before, I don't even know if they have the wheel in the East. They just stack crap 10 ft. high on top of a Brahmin. In NV they had carts. Heck we should have vehicles in there. If they can make a blimp, and fusion cores are laying around everywhere, then you should be able to build a car.

Especially when Fallout 2 showed that there are at least a few working cars left. Also who took all the seats out of all the vehicles? Seriously every car and bus is missing the interior. I think Bethesda is dragging it out so they can milk the series before selling it or retiring it. For Interplay it ones one their only properties at the time I think or at least one of the biggest so they took care of it but Bethesda has so many irons in the fire they don't take care.

There aren't any factories so that would most likely be the best way to get seats! :lol I'm such a dork that I looked to see where the plane crash was in relation to my settlements because I reasoned they would have taken the seats out. So my settlements near that plane crash, on the vanilla map, have plane seats.

Oh and speaking of that I want to also see something in a future game talking about advanced building materials and more durable fabrics. That would help explain why so many buildings and materials survived. I think in Old World Blues there was a place that was making advanced concrete or something. I can't remember for sure. Yeah I know you have to just ignore stuff like that (even if you've watched Life After People), but it would be a cool nod to people who are bugged by the realism.

I'm sure if our people put their minds to it they could come up with something as strong as granite to use for building that would last for centuries, the problem is it would put people out of work. Can you imagine roads that didn't need patched? That's why they use crappy blacktop instead of the normal concrete they used back when the highway system started. It's actually all designed to wear out so that things don't grind to a halt. This is different than companies making cars and such that are cheaper to replace than fix, that's just greed, as a fridge that lasts 30 years isn't going to put anyone out of work. I'm a huge Life After People fan and even the less popular version they did on National Geographic channel.

I started a new game and I read something else going back to complaints about the BOS's behavior in the game. When the Prydwen comes in it's blasting out (paraphrasing) "Don't be alarmed. We come in peace." Then Proctor Teagan (quartermaster) promptly recruits you to go get cooperation with local settlements by any means (forgot what he says exactly). So I found a terminal on the Prydwen I either forgot about or never saw that has an email from Teagan saying that they should have Vertibirds go out looking for convoys and wait to find one under attack, then swoop in to help them out. That would secure their goodwill and let them know the BOS is the good guys.

It's just like they had no coherent plan for the BOS's mission or multiple people were writing this stuff and not coordinating. I doubt taking settlements garners much goodwill!

Oh I'd also like to see other U.S. allies develop giant robots alongside the U.S. I want to see a giant robot that kicks soccer ball nukes from the UK! I'm not sure what France's robot would do though. It would have to have a beret.

I started a new game and I read something else going back to complaints about the BOS's behavior in the game. When the Prydwen comes in it's blasting out (paraphrasing) "Don't be alarmed. We come in peace." Then Proctor Teagan (quartermaster) promptly recruits you to go get cooperation with local settlements by any means (forgot what he says exactly). So I found a terminal on the Prydwen I either forgot about or never saw that has an email from Teagan saying that they should have Vertibirds go out looking for convoys and wait to find one under attack, then swoop in to help them out. That would secure their goodwill and let them know the BOS is the good guys.

It's just like they had no coherent plan for the BOS's mission or multiple people were writing this stuff and not coordinating. I doubt taking settlements garners much goodwill

I knew the Brotherhood of Steel in Fallout 4 were bad news the moment I learned that Maxson had brought in the Outcasts and systematically wiped out all the good will that the Lyons had gained. To top it all off, Maxson is on a genocidal quest with the explicit intention of causing as much damage to the Common Wealth as needed in order to ensure the Synth's destruction.

I'm getting pumped up for Fallout VR now... Didn't think much about it before, but now I actually have a PC powerful enough to run VR games. I've done some many play through, but I have a feeling that the VR experience might just make it feel like a whole new game. Bonus point is I can install mods, starting with alternate start and modern weapons... Waiting for the E3 for more info on it, and decide if I want to invest into a Vive headset for it.

I really hope we get to see some gameplay of Fallout VR during E3 in two weeks, If bethesda does this right it will be so freaking amazing playing through that game again.
However knowing bethesda, i'm thinking they will probably screw up and not take the risks they need in order to make this a great VR title.

I really hope i'm wrong though and they nail the interaction with the weapons/world!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back