Quasi or Anovos Armor. Which is more accurate.

ThomasBond

I am looking at the amazing Quasi armor offered here and I noticed the shoulder bells are much wider than the Anovos ones.

Anyone have an idea on which armor set is more screen accurate??

I have noticed the Quasi guys helmets and armor are amazingly accurate and they really understand how the helmet dome should fit, and how the helmet should fit on the armor, and why as a result a lot of fan Vader's look bad even though the individual pieces themselves are awesome so it's hard to believe they are not accurate which means Anovos is???

Anovos shoulder bells seem to droop making Vader less broad in the shoulders.

Thought?????

IMG_2892_zps0dad9c9b.jpg

Darth_Vader_Mantle_01_grande.jpg

Very good observations. When creating Vader, some go too wide and some go too narrow, and thus, going by how "accurate" an armor source is, or that the armor has "lineage" to the original falls short, because just about everything that has entered the fandom from Lucasfilm has some degree of warpage and inconsistency with the original. Copies of copies result in even further warpage, so that when you combine a helmet from one branch of the lineage tree with armor from another branch, they almost always never quite go together 100%. So as much as I have been a fan and student of "prop accuracy", I had throw all that out of the window.

The focus of my work with Quasimodo is to create a bust that evokes the presence and emotion of the character as believably as possible. I chose this route because after having owned very prop accurate castings, eventually the romance of the idea of such ownership wears off. Yet what remains is a personal fondness for the character. My work seeks to rebuild that bridge to childhood fascination. For me, rather than slap silicone and make a recast, shoot automotive paint and call it a day, I chose a more difficult way.

There is a huge level of calibration to get the proportions and posture of Vader recreated realistically, and hopefully I've done it. A meticulous amount of original sculpting is reflected here. As much as I try to make things accurate, this is essentially my emotional homage to the character. But realism is highly important to me. So instead of looking at it as "are the bells accurate" think of the larger picture: if you're a costumer looking to portray the Dark Lord, or if you're a collector who wants to set up a life-sized mannequin, the silhouette of the shoulder is essential to recreating the menace and intimidation of the character. So when the costumer or mannequin setup has the robe and cape on, the silhouette and side-view of the posture has to be believable.

As a standalone prop, the Anovos armor is pleasant to look at. I understand what you pointed out, that the Anovos' shoulder guards ("bells") create a narrow shouldered look.

The armor I've made, which I call Structurally Matching Armor (which has the best symbiosis with my Quasimodo helmet, hence namesake) is adapted more to achieve an idealized wearing based on the different "modes" that appeared in the different movies.

csmaclaren-and-bookface-vader-armor-02_zpsnzffewh6.jpg

So the sculpt being as it is, in ROTJ mode, with the shoulder guards on the end flush with the armor, the look is powerful and yet not super wide. The same sculpt allows ANH and ESB where the edge of the armor overlaps the shoulder guards, which is a slightly narrower look, but unmistakably ANH and ESB.

And even though tweaked for such purposes, it doesn't look bad compared to an original. There's always room for improvement, admittedly, but still....

Profiles-in-History-NJ-Farmers-vs-Quasimodo-V2-ESB.jpg

Hope this helps. Enjoy!

quasimodo-v2-rotj-anh-esb-busts-facing-front.jpg

I'm in need of a cheapo set of chest armor and shoulder bells. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, could be a bad pull with imperfections and all. Could be a Rubies even.

Budget is obviously tight, does anyone have any leads on something like this?

Well, you could go eBay, but that is the worst thing you can do. The reason is that just because an eBay seller says it's "rare" or "came from the original molds" doesn't mean their apple didn't fall far, far away from the original tree. With their nature being either recasts or copies of copies, there is warpage that an undiscerning eye cannot tell by casual photo analysis. Moreover, that warpage will drive you nuts. What's more is that even with great, sexy photos, some people have found the work to be shoddy. It's not as cut-and-dry to buy a kit and paint it up, as a lot of work (or rework) needs to first be affected. Some cheap kits have a great loss of detail, look incredibly thin, and won't hold up to the rigors of costuming and transportation of costuming gear.

Eventually, what people do with ill-advised purchases is that they put it up on eBay and hope someone earlier in their learning curve will take it off their hands. There are some props that are hand-me-downs of hand-me-downs until they find an owner who simply doesn't care.

Alternatively, if you look for Bookface's armor thread in Project Runs entitled " UNLTD RUN: Vader chest armor - ANH / ESB / ROTJ" as he does offer this as an unfinished kit which you could work on and paint yourself as a more affordable route.

(My Quasimodo helmet is not available as a kit).

Very good observations. When creating Vader, some go too wide and some go too narrow, and thus, going by how "accurate" an armor source is, or that the armor has "lineage" to the original falls short, because just about everything that has entered the fandom from Lucasfilm has some degree of warpage and inconsistency with the original. Copies of copies result in even further warpage, so that when you combine a helmet from one branch of the lineage tree with armor from another branch, they almost always never quite go together 100%. So as much as I have been a fan and student of "prop accuracy", I had throw all that out of the window.

The focus of my work with Quasimodo is to create a bust that evokes the presence and emotion of the character as believably as possible. I chose this route because after having owned very prop accurate castings, eventually the romance of the idea of such ownership wears off. Yet what remains is a personal fondness for the character. My work seeks to rebuild that bridge to childhood fascination. For me, rather than slap silicone and make a recast, shoot automotive paint and call it a day, I chose a more difficult way.

There is a huge level of calibration to get the proportions and posture of Vader recreated realistically, and hopefully I've done it. A meticulous amount of original sculpting is reflected here. As much as I try to make things accurate, this is essentially my emotional homage to the character. But realism is highly important to me. So instead of looking at it as "are the bells accurate" think of the larger picture: if you're a costumer looking to portray the Dark Lord, or if you're a collector who wants to set up a life-sized mannequin, the silhouette of the shoulder is essential to recreating the menace and intimidation of the character. So when the costumer or mannequin setup has the robe and cape on, the silhouette and side-view of the posture has to be believable.

As a standalone prop, the Anovos armor is pleasant to look at. I understand what you pointed out, that the Anovos' shoulder guards ("bells") create a narrow shouldered look.

The armor I've made, which I call Structurally Matching Armor (which has the best symbiosis with my Quasimodo helmet, hence namesake) is adapted more to achieve an idealized wearing based on the different "modes" that appeared in the different movies.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b...n-and-bookface-vader-armor-02_zpsnzffewh6.jpg

So the sculpt being as it is, in ROTJ mode, with the shoulder guards on the end flush with the armor, the look is powerful and yet not super wide. The same sculpt allows ANH and ESB where the edge of the armor overlaps the shoulder guards, which is a slightly narrower look, but unmistakably ANH and ESB.

And even though tweaked for such purposes, it doesn't look bad compared to an original. There's always room for improvement, admittedly, but still....

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b...in-History-NJ-Farmers-vs-Quasimodo-V2-ESB.jpg

Hope this helps. Enjoy!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b...simodo-v2-rotj-anh-esb-busts-facing-front.jpg

Wow and thank you. I don't think I had seen the pic of your amazing helmets with all the armors.

Yeah looking at your pics it's no choice. Yours is clearly best.

Thanks

Well, you could go eBay, but that is the worst thing you can do. The reason is that just because an eBay seller says it's "rare" or "came from the original molds" doesn't mean their apple didn't fall far, far away from the original tree. With their nature being either recasts or copies of copies, there is warpage that an undiscerning eye cannot tell by casual photo analysis. Moreover, that warpage will drive you nuts. What's more is that even with great, sexy photos, some people have found the work to be shoddy. It's not as cut-and-dry to buy a kit and paint it up, as a lot of work (or rework) needs to first be affected. Some cheap kits have a great loss of detail, look incredibly thin, and won't hold up to the rigors of costuming and transportation of costuming gear.

Eventually, what people do with ill-advised purchases is that they put it up on eBay and hope someone earlier in their learning curve will take it off their hands. There are some props that are hand-me-downs of hand-me-downs until they find an owner who simply doesn't care.

Alternatively, if you look for Bookface's armor thread in Project Runs entitled " UNLTD RUN: Vader chest armor - ANH / ESB / ROTJ" as he does offer this as an unfinished kit which you could work on and paint yourself as a more affordable route.

(My Quasimodo helmet is not available as a kit).
Thanks for the info!

I'm not looking for anything that would be trooped with, or worn. Just something to display with my helmet, really.

Thanks for the info!

I'm not looking for anything that would be trooped with, or worn. Just something to display with my helmet, really.

I would point out, the other issue you may have there is the greys used on the helmet and armour will probably not match if they're coming from different sources. Depending how OCD you are about that sort of thing, may bug you once the display is up. Good luck though, +1 for Mac's work, I'm picking up his Quasi ESB with the armour shortly. :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back