Need a really DURABLE clear coat

superjedi

Sr Member
Hi all,
Looking for recommendations for the most durable clear coat I can get (without going for the 2-part auto stuff.)
It has to be something I can spray on evenly. What would give me the toughest coat?
It's for something that will be handled pretty frequently.

Hi all,
Looking for recommendations for the most durable clear coat I can get (without going for the 2-part auto stuff.)
It has to be something I can spray on evenly. What would give me the toughest coat?

FUTURE !

Hi all,

Are you willing to share at this time what it is for...?

Are you willing to share at this time what it is for...?

No! Neither now nor never!! :lol

OK, you weaseled it out of me. I painted some custom camoflauge on a .22 rifle. I put 2 coats of Testors matte lacquer on it, but with extended handling, I just wanted to know if there's something tougher I could use.

I´ve used Microscale clear coats a few times, which become really hard and tough once dried. The matte finish isn´t matte though. Someone suggested misting the model with it to get a matte finish...I haven´t tried this yet though. The stuff is great, but you have to be quick to clean the airbrush because the clear coat dries very fast (and will get very hard as mentioned above). Some decals beneath the clear coat got cracks though while I cleaned a wash off the model with Turpentine.
Another option would be Vallejo clear coats, I just received them to apply to my FM Ys but haven´t used them yet. They´re made for table top game models which will get a lot of handling, I suppose they considered that. On the Vallejo site it says they´ll prevent the model from yellowing, and when dried it should protect the model even from Alcohol or Turpentine. It also says these attributes will last for 20 (!) years....!
In about 20 years I´ll be able to tell you if all that´s true!:lol

Last edited:
I think the Testor's will do it. And you could do one of a coule of things: You could either spray a coat or two more on it now, or you could always re-spray it later if you feel it is rubbing off...

May be hard to ge in the US, im not sure, but if you want something rock solid Eric, Ronseal acylic matt varnish, comes in a 250ml tin!
Dries perfect clear, no yellowing and thins with distilled water, its actually a household varnish, but ive used it on a few builds and its superb and tough as hell!

lee

That sounds interesting Lee. I just did a quick google search and on the Ronseal site there are several products for wood, floor, etc. The "diamond hard" stuff sounds the best. Which one exactly are you using? What´s written on the tin? :)

Diamond hard Dan :) i have the Matt finish, and its acrylic, pretty cool stuff as it goes. Good work lol, buddy i got your PM on the parts, sorry not had time to get back, there not ready yet, but when they are, ill be in touch buddy, dont worry!

lee

Thanks! I know I can count on you!:)

Don´t wanna get annoying but....

"Diamond Hard Clear Varnish" - it says for wood?
"Diamond Hard Clear Floor Varnish" - it says for wooden floor?
"Perfect Finish Diamond Hard Floor Clear Varnish"?
:D

May be hard to ge in the US, im not sure, but if you want something rock solid Eric, Ronseal acylic matt varnish, comes in a 250ml tin!
Dries perfect clear, no yellowing and thins with distilled water, its actually a household varnish, but ive used it on a few builds and its superb and tough as hell!

lee

Hmm. . . interesting! I'll have to check it out.
Thanks. :)

Let me know if you struggle Eric, i could always get some here and ship it to you if you do want to try it, think it was around the £5.00 mark here!

lee

Thanks Lee, but I found a similar product late yesterday (that doesn't have to be shipped 6,000 miles :lol) and I'm going to try it out this week. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back