Mal Reynolds Firefly costume

Unfortunately, no. Mine are green under the tan and the green came back out with my test dyeing. I've yet to see what multiple dunks do for them, but that's where I plan to go with them next.

Luckily, I kept the bits I cut off when I changed out the back so it didn't have to mess with the s'penders I actually wear.

Did the load bearing suspenders take dye ok?

Unfortunately, no. Mine are green under the tan and the green came back out with my test dyeing. I've yet to see what multiple dunks do for them, but that's where I plan to go with them next.

They're made out of nylon or some other synthetic, right? You should be able to get them to accept dye a bit better if you soak them in acetone first. Learned that over at thedentedhelmet.com.

Does anyone have a good high-res photo of how Mal's suspenders look at the back? Specifically how they attach to the leather strip before attaching to the pants.

Perfect thanks!

Did they take the leather tip joining the back two straps from a different set of suspenders do you think?

Hey E-wan, if I remember correctly the final consensus of opinion was that the back two straps at the bottom with the leather tip were from an elastic set of suspenders that were attached to the original canvas harness (you can see the color difference in the screen cap posted by Bronson BB. Thats how I did mine and it came out pretty good.

Interesting. Thanks for the share guys.

It looks like the back part is made of the front of a second pair of suspenders, with the botton being the part that should split off to become the back suspender and an oval shaped ring attaching the suspenders and the leather strip. Sound correct?

The joining part looks like a big paperclip! :)

I think you've got it, except the "oval shaped ring" was actually already attached to the pair of elastic western suspenders I received. I did have to buy a separate pack of the brown leather attachment straps to get the right color. Sorry I don't still have the link, but it was for western reinacting type clothing. Generally shold have it the same place you get Mal's pants.

My suspenders arrived from Vector Arms yesterday and I gleefully set about tearing them up! So far, I've modified the front buckles to attach the leather straps, removed the back flap and detached the back straps.

Waiting on the second pair of suspenders to arrive for the back, then it's into some tan dye for the whole lot.

My suspenders arrived from Vector Arms yesterday and I gleefully set about tearing them up! So far, I've modified the front buckles to attach the leather straps, removed the back flap and detached the back straps.

Waiting on the second pair of suspenders to arrive for the back, then it's into some tan dye for the whole lot.

Be careful about the dying!
You might wanna use the bits you snipped off as test parts.

Tried dying one of the unused straps from my suspenders with the following result:

The color could do with being darker, but is on the right track. However, there is a fair amount of shrinkage. Not sure if I want to press on and dye the rest of the suspenders...

Last edited:
I didnt have any trouble with the suspenders not taking the dye. The best thing for making cold dye take to tough fabrics is make the water as hot as possible. It opens the fibres in the fabric and in my experience gives it a better colour.

Lawrence

This was my costume from a few years ago... minus the browncoat, just couldn't spare the money for that at the time. Once I get my external hard drive to work again I'll show you the back of my suspenders. I found some real clear references that I've since lost, but still have a nice shot of mine for comparison.

Tried dying one of the unused straps from my suspenders with the following result:

The color could do with being darker, but is on the right track. However, there is a fair amount of shrinkage. Not sure if I want to press on and dye the rest of the suspenders...

I didnt have any trouble with the suspenders not taking the dye. The best thing for making cold dye take to tough fabrics is make the water as hot as possible. It opens the fibres in the fabric and in my experience gives it a better colour.

Lawrence

Hot water shrinks the fibers in the fabric. It does not open them up. There are some fabrics that require basically cooking the dye in, but in general, The only thing hot water does for dye is dissolve it properly. If you're having trouble with shrinkage, you can dissolve your dye in hot (coffee hot) water, then add it to a cool water bath (term for your larger pot to dye in). Remember to do the same with plain salt, but separately, and after the dye has mixed thoroughly with the bath. Then ad your fabric (suspenders) and gently agitate for 5-10 minutes. After you've achieved a tone roughly one shade darker than what you want (remember things are darker when wet), remove them, rinse them thoroughly, and HANG dry them.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back