T2 3D, not to be confused with T2-3D

Personally, I have -- for years -- maintained that the only things that should be "fixed" in the original Star Wars trilogy are basically compositing errors. Matte lines around TIE fighters, the snowspeeder canopy bars being transparent, the occasional weirdness in color timing or a prop failure like Obi-Wan's sabre showing the dowel tip on the Death Star, that sort of thing.

Anything else? LEAVE IT ALONE. Part of what made these films the FX triumphs that they were is how good they were at the time. They should continue to be viewed in that context. And, honestly, there comes a point where the CGI looks horribly out of place with the rest of the FX in the film. When every other makeup shot or squib effect is 1992-era, but suddenly you cut to a highly visible sequence that OBVIOUSLY been "modernized," it doesn't work. The OT suffers quite noticeably from that. Hell, even the very film stock on which films were shot can "give away" the ear when they were made, so shoehorning in a modern effect just because it looks, you know, up to modern standards is basically putting lipstick on a pig. Actually, that's not fair. It's like taking a picture of your 8-year-old daughter and photoshopping in a modern hairstyle and makeup in adult would wear.

Mmm . . . I agree and I don't.

I think the public has collectively decided they don't want CGI'd classic movies just because we never get it done well. Even the best filmmakers have done clumsy reworkings so far. They make creative changes (almost ALWAYS unpopular) rather than confining it to technical stuff only, they add CGI imagery that ages badly in just a few years, they add stuff that stands out from the original footage, etc.

IMO we have yet to see what happens if somebody noticeably improves a classic movie without giving people any specific reason to object to it. That might be another story.

There will always be purists. And IMO an original-version copy of the movie should always be packaged along with any SE version. But still, the number of people who would object to any changes purely on principle is pretty small. Some old movies really could benefit from subtle changes.

Last edited:
Some people have brought up modern CG enhancements (a la George Lucas' Star Wars special editions I suppose)
View attachment 660165
Thoughts???

Well, 'that' particular example doesn't cut it for me. The spherical portion is not only missing detail, the lens still uses what the makeup light had instead of the deeper lit eye that's seen in several shots of the movie. Now, do I think they should do anything with the shot?...... yes. Yes I do.

Whenever I look back at Terminator 3, I'm always reminded of that one shot of The Terminator coming out of the wrecked helicopter with a large portion of his face burned off. When the alarm goes sounds and the Terminator turns his head slightly, his exposed eye turns as well. My jaw dropped at how good that shot looked. For being the year that brought us huge visual effects juggernauts like The Matrix Reloaded and The Two Towers, I always cited that one shot from T3 as my favorite visual effect moment of the whole year. For the first time in this series, visual effects were able to perfectly make Arnold and the T-800 one and the same. If they can do that kind of work on Terminator 2 a whole 13 years later, good gosh. I'd love to see them try it. Even if it was just the eye that was CGI'd, it'd be worth it. For this viewer, it's a change I can see the film benefitting from.

Well, 'that' particular example doesn't cut it for me. The spherical portion is not only missing detail, the lens still uses what the makeup light had instead of the deeper lit eye that's seen in several shots of the movie. Now, do I think they should do anything with the shot?...... yes. Yes I do.

Whenever I look back at Terminator 3, I'm always reminded of that one shot of The Terminator coming out of the wrecked helicopter with a large portion of his face burned off. When the alarm goes sounds and the Terminator turns his head slightly, his exposed eye turns as well. My jaw dropped at how good that shot looked. For being the year that brought us huge visual effects juggernauts like The Matrix Reloaded and The Two Towers, I always cited that one shot from T3 as my favorite visual effect moment of the whole year. For the first time in this series, visual effects were able to perfectly make Arnold and the T-800 one and the same. If they can do that kind of work on Terminator 2 a whole 13 years later, good gosh. I'd love to see them try it. Even if it was just the eye that was CGI'd, it'd be worth it. For this viewer, it's a change I can see the film benefitting from.

T3:
t3eye.jpg
As someone who's very much into CGI, I would love to see them do that too. BUT, a huge but: only if as Batguy mentioned, if they packaged it along with "the original". Unlike what they have done thus far with Star Wars.

T3:
View attachment 661577
As someone who's very much into CGI, I would love to see them do that too. BUT, a huge but: only if as Batguy mentioned, if they packaged it along with "the original". Unlike what they have done thus far with Star Wars.

Thankfully Terminator 2 has been released on BluRay three different times now that we have both versions of the film from a good HD source. That's a heck of a lot more than what can be said for Star Wars which had a limited DVD run with a standard definition 4x3 Widescreen versions that they had the gal to label as a "Bonus Feature". Bleh!

Here's the odd thing about James Cameron's recent tinkering with his two BluRay titles. Despite having work done to them, they are not labeled as such. For example, the most recent Titanic Blu-Ray doesn't call itself a 'Special Edition' version of the film. It's sold simply as the film. ALIENS is a weirder case because the changes that Cameron made to the film (Removing the scratches on the glass window, removing the visible hole below Biship when he grabs Newt) are present in all versions. That's one of the things I'm most anxious to see on the new ALIENS Anniversary Blu-Ray that's coming out to see if those changes were reverted for the Theatrical Cut and maintained in the Special Edition.

Thankfully Terminator 2 has been released on BluRay three different times now that we have both versions of the film from a good HD source. That's a heck of a lot more than what can be said for Star Wars which had a limited DVD run with a standard definition 4x3 Widescreen versions that they had the gal to label as a "Bonus Feature". Bleh!

Here's the odd thing about James Cameron's recent tinkering with his two BluRay titles. Despite having work done to them, they are not labeled as such. For example, the most recent Titanic Blu-Ray doesn't call itself a 'Special Edition' version of the film. It's sold simply as the film. ALIENS is a weirder case because the changes that Cameron made to the film (Removing the scratches on the glass window, removing the visible hole below Biship when he grabs Newt) are present in all versions. That's one of the things I'm most anxious to see on the new ALIENS Anniversary Blu-Ray that's coming out to see if those changes were reverted for the Theatrical Cut and maintained in the Special Edition.

Yet, the HD-DVD version is still the best looking version, thanks to all the DNR they used on the blu-rays :p Star Wars is a sad state of affairs.

That might be due to the fact that the tinkering has been pretty minor.

Here's me slamming my head into the wall in sheer embarrassment.

Nothing wrong with being honest ;)

Should be fun to watch. I remember they re-released Jurassic Park 1 in 3D for the ... 20th anniversary? I saw it, it rocked, end of story :)

Yep, saw it in theaters as well as I had never done so before. I think it was 2014, so 21 years.

No, 2013, for the 20th anniversary. I did not see the 3D version in theater since it wasn't released where I live. I did however see the original back in 1993. The movie that really made me fall in love with special effects, visual effects and film making in general. Not to mention props ;) Which is a reason why my cryo can and night vision goggles are basically my favorite prop replicas I own :love

i really don't get the point of seeing T2 in 3d. It doesn't need 3d. 2d was good enough.

What i would rather prefer is a movie titled "Terminators".

Basically, just film the actual future war as shown in T1, exactly the same, do the same sets, same visuals, same everything.
A two hour film of that small section shown in T1 would be great. And show the Arnie and Kyle Reese going back in time at the end.
And do a proper 80s cheap soundtrack score that sounds exactly like Brad Fiedels. Keep it low budget, grimy and violent.

Anything else story wise with the Terminator is a waste of time.

What i would rather prefer is a movie titled "Terminators".

Basically, just film the actual future war as shown in T1, exactly the same, do the same sets, same visuals, same everything.
A two hour film of that small section shown in T1 would be great. And show the Arnie and Kyle Reese going back in time at the end.
And do a proper 80s cheap soundtrack score that sounds exactly like Brad Fiedels. Keep it low budget, grimy and violent.

Anything else story wise with the Terminator is a waste of time.

Cameron's glimpses of the future war were basically theatrical trailers. He was only showing the place in very short bursts and he tailored the scenes to the strengths of that.

What works for a trailer doesn't necessarily always work for a 2-hour movie (as we find out a few times almost every summer).

If Cameron made the future war movie the way fans always say they want, we would be getting burned out on it within half an hour. It would need to be a lot more than 2 hours of nighttime & trenches & battle & death.

Having never seen T2 on the big screen, I too will take any chance to get to do so ;)
Is there a need to do a 3D conversion? Hell no. But if it is as good or better than the Titanic conversion then I am all for it.
It also means we will finally get the remastered version :D

No way one would get "burned out" within 30 mins of future war awesomeness ;)

Cameron's glimpses of the future war were basically theatrical trailers. He was only showing the place in very short bursts and he tailored the scenes to the strengths of that.

What works for a trailer doesn't necessarily always work for a 2-hour movie (as we find out a few times almost every summer).

If Cameron made the future war movie the way fans always say they want, we would be getting burned out on it within half an hour. It would need to be a lot more than 2 hours of nighttime & trenches & battle & death.
Not necessarily. Not to get too off topic, but the enemy in the future isn't just the machines. (and the terminators wouldn't show up until the very end of the war anyway, so it will for the most part just be hunter killers and no infiltrators). There is illness, there is hunger, there is insanity, and other people just wanting to survive and not wanting to fight. The glimpses Cameron showed where just brief glimpses into that world. Many war movies have been made, so it is possible to do the future war justice - if only the right attitude and writers and director behind it (which is everything that hasn't happened with any of the people working on Terminator movies since T1, and yes I'm counting T2 in that bunch since that is basically just an out of place entry along with the rest - awesome, but out of place).

There is so much that can be done with the future war... the potential is there. The basic framework is there - it's just up to building a story around those few facts strewn out, and anyone who says that a story where you know the events is boring apparently don't enjoy any historical books or films, where known events have been dramatized to great effect.

Though saying T2 is out of place, I would still love to see it in the cinema in 3D.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back