The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

This is a Rubies shield I repainted. I want to get the Hasbro one but I would be afraid to mess it up weathering it so I got this one for that purpose.

Total repaint. I sprayed metallic aluminum as the base and used the Duplicolor Metalcast Red and Blue over that. I wet sanded it down and did all the damage and weathering.
I'm wondering if I should clear coat it.

img_5214.jpg

img_5215.jpg

img_5217.jpg

img_5221.jpg

img_5224.jpg

Hi,
Newb here.... wanted to post before I made a mess of things.
Any UK shield builders know which spray paints to buy? I read they have to be anodized.

Also can anyone give tips on how to atttach the matal brackets for the straps? Do I need to befriend a welder :p Can't just glue them on hehe.

Hi,
Newb here.... wanted to post before I made a mess of things.
Any UK shield builders know which spray paints to buy? I read they have to be anodized.

Also can anyone give tips on how to atttach the matal brackets for the straps? Do I need to befriend a welder :p Can't just glue them on hehe.

You've just posted in a 62-page thread on how to paint these shields. What paints have been used, what results people have gotten, how they've attached brackets, where they've gotten brackets etc.

Read. Learn. Do. Do over if you mess it up.

I've just started on my steel saucer shield and couldn't find anything in this thread about engraving rings on to the shield. If there was someone who did it, I must have missed it. I just would like to have some sort of light indentation for the rings.

I've just started on my steel saucer shield and couldn't find anything in this thread about engraving rings on to the shield. If there was someone who did it, I must have missed it. I just would like to have some sort of light indentation for the rings.

If you want to try, I would draw it on with a pencil, then score it lightly with a boxcutter or exacto, then use a bigger, wider thing to carve it deeper and wider. That, or use a Dremel, but the thing with the dremel is you'd have to be extremely precise, slow and patient to get the star in just right. (Which is why I personally just ended up goin' with a raised star)

I didn't engrave the rings but did the star. For the rings just used a file and a string but the detail was lost with the paint and shows as a black grove.

RoundShieldWIP.jpg

Last edited:
So I finally got around to painting my shield and it turned out to be a disaster. I got horrible overspray and there are tons of rough spots. Do I have to strip and start over or is there a way to buff all of it out? Thanks in advance!

My question is, and pardon if this has been answered I remember actually reading it but I can't find it now;
Why do I have to clear coat the shield? Has anyone made one and not clear coated it?
Also Krylon Crystal Clear should work fine if I do need to clear coat it right?

Saw this thread pop up and came across my old post randomly clicking through... How weird! All I can say is wow.. I was DUMB three years ago. This clearly had to have been before I used automotive clears.. Probably didn't even know what they were back then!

Anyways, my point for quoting myself.. Three years later, with no clear coat, and my shield looks as pretty as the day I painted it! No discoloration or staining at all on the paint nor the raw aluminum. So to answer my own question.. Why do you have to clear coat the shield? In my opinion, you don't, and the shield that's been on my wall for three years is the proof. ;)

Second attempt was MUCH better but I still have small overspray spots. Has anyone tried running a clay bar over their shield to smooth out the imperfections?

Idk if a clay bar would do too much since its freshly painted. Usually when you clay bar a car, you remove contaminants in the paint from daily driving. I think just wet sanding and or buffing with some rubbing compound might help. Maybe try rubbing compound alone and if its still there, wet sand then rubbing compound.

Some have used adhesion promoter but I just painted both my steel shield and then added the red and blue over the chrome I used on my airsoft shield.
May give it a try just to see the results since it is advertised as clear.

Hasbro's Stealth Shield! I canceled an order for the stormtrooper helmet when I saw this was on sale.

https://postimage.org/

This was a straight for box, mask and paint the front using 3m blue painters tape, Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter CP199, Duplicolor Light Blue Metallic BGM0539 and finally Duplicolor Wheel Matte Clearcoat HWP106.
Just follow the directions CP199, within 10 minutes then the light blue. Only deviation I waited over night, as opposed to the 1 hour wait and then the Matte Clearcoat.

The only surface prep is to clean the residue from the masking tape and covering the back.

Eventually, I'll remove the made in China and replace the original straps with leather on the back...

But for less than $100 you can have a great shield for less work than the now extensive ABS Airsoft.

I used a wall mounted guitar stand! Shield currently isn't on there because I want to get something to stop it scraping against the wall, a little bit of foam or something should do the trick; it'll protect the shield!

15817751_1146263525492301_391679867_o.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back