New BMF coming

Sorry, but have to take issue with a couple comments (apologize if I ruffle feathers)...

I've painted both Fett helmets and Falcons.

I solidly disagree that the Falcon (finished properly) is simpler than Fett's helmet. There are far more details, techniques, paint colors, and weathering methods involved in finishing th Falcon (again, doing do properly).

That said, my second issue...

If I were to paint one for someone, I'd be looking at least $500. At least... Factor the cost of the toy, additional parts, and paying some to paint it right, and its not too far off price wise from the MR.

Pay for a proper paint job and this thing can reach near $1,000...

Even if you spend $500 for the paint job, $60 on the ship, $200 on upgrades your ony at $ 760. Even if you are right and it's a thousand that's a lot less than the 4k they are going for now.

I see what both you and Spacebob are saying and I think you are both right.

Have a go at it and see. I tried on my B wing and it came out awesome. I can't get my AtSt to look at all good.

Personally I think the Falcon is a lot easier than a Fett. Doing fett in all those layers, cover with the liquid stuff between, trying to copy the battle damage. I think the Falcon wold be a lot easier. For me anyway

I think both are great options.

Go for it if you want. Hire an awesome member if the idea of it gives you nightmares like me.

Here are a few more looks at a master paint job - not mine; my friend's...

There are samples of the FM 1:72 Falcon. My friend's (QuartZ) is the better one.

QuartZ's against my MR
ZZZ To Post 002.jpg

Mine
ZZZ To Post 003.jpg

Quartz's right; mine left
ZZZ To Post 004.jpg

Even if you spend $500 for the paint job, $60 on the ship, $200 on upgrades your ony at $ 760. Even if you are right and it's a thousand that's a lot less than the 4k they are going for now.

I see what both you and Spacebob are saying and I think you are both right.

Have a go at it and see. I tried on my B wing and it came out awesome. I can't get my AtSt to look at all good.

Personally I think the Falcon is a lot easier than a Fett. Doing fett in all those layers, cover with the liquid stuff between, trying to copy the battle damage. I think the Falcon wold be a lot easier. For me anyway

I think both are great options.

Go for it if you want. Hire an awesome member if the idea of it gives you nightmares like me.

Are they really up to $4k these days...!? Wow...! I had more like $2k in mind...

Are you in NorCal or SoCal?

Are they really up to $4k these days...!? Wow...! I had more like $2k in mind...

Are you in NorCal or SoCal?

Northern. Redding

They seem to be in the $3,800 to 4 k range. Despite the crazy prices they are listed at on Ebay sometimes around 4k seems to be the norm. The last one on Ebay was $3700 and crossed out for offer accepted so it's not clear what that went for. I have seen them go for more, even on Rebelscum.

That's why I am so depressed that I had to sell mine. Getting one back may not be realistic.

Kind of hoping someone will do a 5 footer kit or EFX will take on a S.S. Falcon, maybe Episode 7 version.

Wow... I was drunk when I wrote that that last post just before going to bed, I've woken up to a bunch of notifications :)
Hemingway famously said write drunk and edit sober so I will answer these posts after I've woken up a bit (I may be socially retarded but I do love a good discussion if its intelligent).

That camera mount looks perfect by the way Jameth, is it expensive?

Not sure about this one. I just grabbed it off google but these ones go for about $7 on Ebay, but as mentioned they are cheap and strip easily. Good for about one permanent position and that's it. Sometimes they fail after a while so I am looking for something similar but better quality.

Here are a few more looks at a master paint job - not mine; my friend's...

There are samples of the FM 1:72 Falcon. My friend's (QuartZ) is the better one.

QuartZ's against my MR
View attachment 410607

Mine
View attachment 410608

Quartz's right; mine left
View attachment 410609

Yeah, I can't paint like this. General Frosty will need to paint mine.

BTW on the MR Falcon lighting makes an incredible difference. I mean more than most think. We all know lighting makes a difference but wow! My Falcon had a great paint job, not that I could ever capture it in pics. Always looked much better in real life than pics, but anyway it had a good paint job and I was very happy with it. Then I had to get a new light installed in my office and chose a ceiling fan with a type of light that changed everything. My MR Falcon went from awesome looking to OMG, INCREDIBLE, Angelic like MASTERPIECE.

It really changed the entire look of the Falcon and made it looks a hundred times better than it had before. Never could get a decent pic of it but wow!! What a difference.

If anyone has a MR Falcon and thinks it could look better try playing with the lighting.

It's one of the new corkscrew looking lights. Can't think of the name. It was a smaller one, set of four in the fan.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW that Falcon that sold for $3,700 hundred or maybe a little less did not have working lights. Depressed even more.

Hi there every one,
PHArchivist your points are of course valid but I think we are comparing two different things. It took me ages to paint my fett helmet, I mean more than a month of my spare time,

webmy-fett-fin-77.jpg I followed Rafs amazing stencils because it has to be a certain way and even with this leg up it took ages.

Now I only said that guys having a go could get it better than the MR, not the real thing or the amazing work that you showed.

Lear60mans paint looks great after 10 hours work, he laid out the process and I'm just saying don't be afraid to have a go that's all. How can we get better if we don't have a go, Its free to have a go :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but have to take issue with a couple comments (apologize if I ruffle feathers)...

I've painted both Fett helmets and Falcons.

I solidly disagree that the Falcon (finished properly) is simpler than Fett's helmet. There are far more details, techniques, paint colors, and weathering methods involved in finishing th Falcon (again, doing do properly).

That said, my second issue...

If I were to paint one for someone, I'd be looking at least $500. At least... Factor the cost of the toy, additional parts, and paying some to paint it right, and its not too far off price wise from the MR.

Pay for a proper paint job and this thing can reach near $1,000...

View attachment 410605
I already started quoting interested members around the $500 mark, and that is low balling it for sure.
I could spend many hours in labor and materials.
It's not just the detailing, after the screw holes are filled, the entire model needs a cleaning, adhesion promoter coat, primer coat and/or base color coat before you even think of detailing.
You got to have a properly prepared foundation that employs a number of steps.
For the casual modeler, you can go right to detailing on the bare plastic since it's already molded in color, but I agree, to have it done right is a very involved series of steps that inexperienced painters may be unaware of.

That being said, the Fett helmet is a whole different can of worms! Lol.

I take alot of pride in the work I do. Your kit would be in good hands with me!

And the key word in my message is to do it properly. Screen accurate. Matching all the paint chips (ala Fett's hat), streaks, and stains...

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to how many dots and "equal signs" alone are scattered around this model (referring to ESB)...?

A finish that can emulate or suggest the original - one that to the casual observer may look "Falcon-ish" - may be whipped up in just a couple or few sessions in the shop, (same could be said for a Fett helmet, for that matter).

Christian (Lear60man) is a good friend; I'd party with him any day of the week (and have!). But he'd also step right up and tell you he knocked his out quickly without concern about creating a dead-on match to the original (which I personally know he could do if he so desired)

But to match all the damage, chips, streaks, etcetera perfectly - like what Fett hat painters strive to do - it would take considerably longer.

Just ask Dean...

I think in comparing the two (hat or ship), it is necessary to clarify your approach.

I could knock out a "Fett-ish" :behave helmet in one or two days, and a screen-accurate Falcon in one or two months.

Or I could knock out a screen-accurate Fett hat in one or two months, and a "falcon-ish" ship in one or two days...

See the distinction?

Last edited:
But I really like SpaceBob's concept of "having a go" at this...

As discussed, the price and accuracy of this toy create a fantastic opportunity for painters of all levels to have a go themselves. Its a great chance to just have fun painting, screen-accurate or not. If it turns out great - then great! if not, you're only in for $60!

Last edited:
Exactly PHArchivist, that's the thing here, its a toy and that will interest people who aren't usually painters and may not have any dough :)

While we are talking of painting, does any one know of a good thread that specifically deals with the processes that was employed with the real 32" of even the 5' models?
the photos I've looked at don't seem to look like they used things like the modern techniques like under-painting black or the pre-painting of the panel lines?
Any help would be cool.

spacebob - I'm going to put it out there and say, for all the reasons listed above (the cost of this thing letting those with less experience and skill have a bash at a reasonable looking Falcon) I know I'd find such a thread invaluable, so I'm sure you'd have an audience for it (patronizing or not :) )

The 32" started off Black:

32quotConstruction.jpg

I think ILM painted all of their models black before the real painting,....I remember seeing the X-Wings,.....also look at the chipping & missing greeblies on the 5 foot falcon, theres black under there

IMG_0063.jpg

J

No prob Timmythekid
the only fly in the ointment might be when, I still have a lot of mods to do so I might not start painting until after christmas now, do you have an airbrush
or will you be "kicking it rattlecan"? that's a term now.

Yay it was black first,
again for those who don't know, that's going to make things a whole lot easier whilst staying accurate. thanks J

At the moment, no, but I've asked Santa, so it'll will be a test of just HOW good Mrs Thekid thinks I've been this year whether by the time I start painting I have one or not :) I'm for sure waiting until Mr Salzo starts making resin kits, and my Falcon hasn't arrived yet (should be tomorrow - woot.) so I aint in much of a rush in any event.
'nother note, been looking at some of the galleries on that Adrive site from a few pages back and have put together a bunch of panoramas from them. Between those and the pics just posted above, I never realized how many DECALS are on the various Falcons! Going to have to find a solution for those too...I've seen printable decal paper from someone live Avery or 3M, but never tried it in an inkjet before.

Last edited:
I'm going to be hand painting a lot of the decal parts but I think getting to grips with learning how to print on decal paper will be a very, very good idea.

Why don't you check it out and post it here because I know there seems to be a problem getting the pre-printed ones from Jbot at the mo :)

Making your own decals really isnt too difficult, print your decals with an inkjet printer,....seal in the decal with a laquer,....cut around the decals as close as you can, then treat them like traditional decals from there-on,.....

J

PHArchivist would you consider the Master Replicas Falcon a Falconish paint job you mentioned or the crazy detailed with every dot and equal signs finish???

Honestly I know a lot of people complained about it but I was thrilled with the paint job on my MR even before the better lighting.

General Frosty would the $500 include the mods because I was going to wash, modify, and base primer it first, then send it to you??? If anyone can agree on a good base coat in rattle can I can do that as well. Support, stand everything else done as well as the interior painting and details on the cockpit so it would be sent to you just for the outside paint job?????

PHArchivist would you consider the Master Replicas Falcon a Falconish paint job you mentioned or the crazy detailed with every dot and equal signs finish???

Honestly I know a lot of people complained about it but I was thrilled with the paint job on my MR even before the better lighting.

General Frosty would the $500 include the mods because I was going to wash, modify, and base primer it first, then send it to you??? If anyone can agree on a good base coat in rattle can I can do that as well. Support, stand everything else done as well as the interior painting and details on the cockpit so it would be sent to you just for the outside paint job?????
We'll go over things via pm. Not fair to turn this thread into a sales discussion[emoji12]

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back