Identifying ST:VOY Engineering Tool Case

Sulla

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I would very much like to ID this case. I could not find any old threads with this one in it, though I suspect it is ground already covered. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

VOY-case-2_zpsc3e1a24b.jpg

Some time ago I found one of these cases sitting on a shelf in a big grocery store. It was bright red and I didn't buy them for the color. I did take pictures of them with a good shot of the label which I finally found in one of my photobucket albums! It was only $9 bucks at the time. (Also discovered this box, in black, was used as the crime scene investigation case in Dexter.)

IMAG0253.jpg

IMAG0254.jpg

So I did some looking and found this! If this isn't it it's the next best thing. I am nearly convinced that this is just the latest version of this box available for sale. I bought it and will report with picture comparisons with all the ones I found on itsawrap.

casevoy21_zpsc65ec1ba.jpg

casevoy22_zps634ba355.jpg

Got my case. Here are a few shots. It's pretty clear by the locations of the manufacturer's name, the recycle emblem and the spot where the plastic was injected all inform where the decals go.

voycase1_zpsccea9a9b.jpg

voycase8_zps750fb123.jpg

voycase7_zps7fb21b55.jpg

voycase6_zps79bc027a.jpg

voycase2_zps8be96b04.jpg

voycase3_zps4410b892.jpg

voycase4_zps94c9d62c.jpg

voycase5_zps58a1ece2.jpg

Awesome find, I quickly found one on-line and just had to bye it. I had a feeling that it was a tool box of some sort since it has a place to add a padlock from some of the photos I've seen on-line. I'm just happy to finally have one, now I have my two favorite Voyager engineering cases this one and the smaller "repair kit". Now I need some tools.. Awesome

This is the one I was referring to.
gravity_137.jpg

It was seen nearly as much as the stack-on, I found it one day at pepboys.
It is the case used for snow chains for tires (Radial Chain) by SCC
496.JPG

I just saw the VOY tool box case on the shelf of the engineer dad in his quarters on the new show The 100. That's a triple prop now (probably on many other shows I haven't come across too). That's Voyager, Dexter and The 100.

Andy, the stack-on case has only the grey closing latches? because the VOY are black or did they painted black, do you know that?

The stack on case has been sold in many color combinations over the years. The only ones I could recently find have the gray latches. A member on various forums reported finding some all black cases at a local Gander Mountain and says they may be sold through Sears. Alas, I do not have a gander mountain all that close to me and nothing showed up on their web site so it may have only been at select stores. I may hit Sears tomorrow after work just to see if they have any. Back in 2011 I found red ones at Meijer's (pictured in posts above) and I have seen gray ones with gray latches and gray ones with black latches over the years.

On VOY I have seen black ones with black latches and gray ones with gray latches. Some of them looked like they removed the padlock loop, but on many they did not.

Just purchased the Stack-On case from Amazon. Despite having gray latches, it's close. Nice find.

Thoughts on how to fill on the Stack-On wording and decal? It's big and not your run of the mill GNDN.

I was going to grind the letters off, fill it in with thin strips of styrene, fill the gaps with modelers putty, sand and paint. It doesn't have to be too perfect as it will be covered by the TNG style pill label. I may even omit the putty if the fill is good and put the decal on some very thin black styrene and glue that over it if the decal coverage is good enough.

I also plan on sanding down that huge circular mold spur which will then be covered by the large silver label. As for the recycle triangle, on many screen used examples I have seen what appears to be a bump under the silver strip right at that location lending the idea that it was unaltered and just covered up, but I plan on sanding mine down first.

Reference the image in my first post above. See how it the silver strip bulges out on the bottom right there? That is exactly where the recycle logo is located.

There's still half a shelf of the Black with grey latches at my local Fleet Farm. I picked two up for myself. I'm going to Gander Mtn today (assuming they didn't decide to close) and will check to see if they have any with different color patterns.

Good luck mikemancs. I've been keeping some of my un-built props in mine for the nonce, and man what a convenient carry case. I think I may get another two or three for totally practical use!

Thanks Norbauer. Got these made for mine Still haven't taken the time to put it all together though.

2Q==

Attachments

• DSCN5270.JPG
    DSCN5270.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 123
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back