Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Don't you think he looks tired?

I, at least, see what you did there... ;)

6bc5b92d8e2d5088de68b3a7584b5282.jpg

--Jonah

It certainly looks like a renewed vader siut without changing much... look at where it use to be a gas hose thing it looks like a more customized piece. Anyone making a vader would use a gas hose instead to be more accurate.

368.JPG

Why is Darth Vaders lightsaber hanging upside down from the correct orientation from a clip that isn't actually on his saber at all.

Although despite that the saber actually looks accurate'ish to the ANH version.

Last edited:
I agree with you within the context they would be given any relevant autonomy or their thoughts and opinions any credibility. I'm just with the camp that did not see any flexibility from George on that, at least up until the time he was wrapping up Episode III. If he had regained whatever spirit he had during the OT after that, I'd've given any attempt on his part to do the sequels a very fair chance, but only if...

Where are people getting that from though? I haven't read anything, at all, that substantiates everyone's claims of Lucas being a close minded director who doesn't listen to anyone. It seems like a lot of people putting their own beliefs on what happened onto Lucas.

Where are people getting that from though? I haven't read anything, at all, that substantiates everyone's claims of Lucas being a close minded director who doesn't listen to anyone. It seems like a lot of people putting their own beliefs on what happened onto Lucas.

I've never seen anything anywhere that would indicate George adhered to any suggestions or advice anyone gave him. But there are miles of behind-the-scenes footage where, as the primary example here, he meets weekly or daily with whatever department he's meeting with and the people around him are like misty-eyed acolytes waiting for him to anoint them. He goes down the line with the "I like this and this and this, don't like this, this would be okay if you turn it upside down", and everyone continues to smile and swoon at just his mere presence. By some very strange twist of reality, it could be that once the cameras were off, everyone's dukes came out and told him that "THIS is how this scene should look and I really think you should take a moment to reflect on things differently...", and he actually did just that. But for some reason, that doesn't seem to be the impression that ANYONE I've heard give their viewpoints have had. We could indeed all be wrong, but from what I've seen, he was surrounded by a LOT of hero-worshipping yes men and women.

...of course the Behind the Scenes footage we've seen is all edited and approved by Lucasfilm. It's not like we have people dissenting with Uncle George on officially released footage from the OT.

I... he meets weekly or daily with whatever department he's meeting with and the people around him are like misty-eyed acolytes waiting for him to anoint them. He goes down the line with the "I like this and this and this, don't like this, this would be okay if you turn it upside down", and everyone continues to smile and swoon at just his mere presence. ... We could indeed all be wrong, but from what I've seen, he was surrounded by a LOT of hero-worshipping yes men and women.
But here's the thing. George Lucas owned it. He was the boss. It was his film and story to tell. He had every right to approve, reject and change any item as he saw fit. Everyone was an employee paid by his company that he owned. They had to be yes men and women. they were in no position to argue or make any suggestions unless he specifically asked for your opinion. I am certain if anyone criticized his point of view or his decision they were let go (or taken out back and shot) :D

Should GL have taken on other suggestions and ideas from ":someone" Yes. Its been told that there were indeed a few peer (not hired hands) that gave critique and suggestions Steven Spielberg being among them and GL noted their advice and chose not to follow through with said option.

If I worked for GL and he came in and said I like this but not that and change this I would feel more than obliged to say "Yes, Sir... right on it." because I am a working wrist for the artist and nothing more. (and I would then kiss the ground he **** on and deposit my check!) :p

...of course the Behind the Scenes footage we've seen is all edited and approved by Lucasfilm. It's not like we have people dissenting with Uncle George on officially released footage from the OT.

Of course, it would be wouldn't it?! :D

But here's the thing. George Lucas owned it. He was the boss. It was his film and story to tell. He had every right to approve, reject and change any item as he saw fit. Everyone was an employee paid by his company that he owned. They had to be yes men and women. they were in no position to argue or make any suggestions unless he specifically asked for your opinion. I am certain if anyone criticized his point of view or his decision they were let go (or taken out back and shot) :D

Should GL have taken on other suggestions and ideas from ":someone" Yes. Its been told that there were indeed a few peer (not hired hands) that gave critique and suggestions Steven Spielberg being among them and GL noted their advice and chose not to follow through with said option.

If I worked for GL and he came in and said I like this but not that and change this I would feel more than obliged to say "Yes, Sir... right on it." because I am a working wrist for the artist and nothing more. (and I would then kiss the ground he **** on and deposit my check!) :p

I agree that Star Wars was his baby. What I'm saying in a circuitous way is that he was more collaborative in the OT era than he was with the prequels; I don't think there's much dispute about that. :) And don't get me wrong; despite my criticisms about him and the resulting prequels, I love George Lucas. He created a galaxy I've gotten lost in countless times since I was eight years old. At this point I honestly don't know what the hell I'm trying to say that hasn't been said a zillion times before about the shortcomings "I" found in the prequel trilogy that I think could have/would have been different if the circumstances of their production had been more like the OT.

I'm saying no more about it. :)

you WILL say more about it! :p

oh, I agree... in fact, I have to look it up but if I recall correctly he did indeed ask someone to co-write it.. can't recall who and they declined so he pretty much said F-It, I'll just do it all myself... so ya, he should have had a co-writer... he should have realized he sucked at directing and hired a director... why he felt the need to be all controlling on the entire PT is beyond me... I don't get it either. I had thought that if GL would just step back and be the executive producer and let others write and direct we would have great movies because GL has great ideas but.... and my wish came true when he sold the whole thing to Disney® :D

Of course, it would be wouldn't it?! :D

I agree that Star Wars was his baby. What I'm saying in a circuitous way is that he was more collaborative in the OT era than he was with the prequels; I don't think there's much dispute about that. :) And don't get me wrong; despite my criticisms about him and the resulting prequels, I love George Lucas. He created a galaxy I've gotten lost in countless times since I was eight years old. At this point I honestly don't know what the hell I'm trying to say that hasn't been said a zillion times before about the shortcomings "I" found in the prequel trilogy that I think could have/would have been different if the circumstances of their production had been more like the OT.

I'm saying no more about it. :)

you WILL say more about it! :p

oh, I agree... in fact, I have to look it up but if I recall correctly he did indeed ask someone to co-write it.. can't recall who and they declined so he pretty much said F-It, I'll just do it all myself... so ya, he should have had a co-writer... he should have realized he sucked at directing and hired a director... why he felt the need to be all controlling on the entire PT is beyond me... I don't get it either. I had thought that if GL would just step back and be the executive producer and let others write and direct we would have great movies because GL has great ideas but.... and my wish came true when he sold the whole thing to Disney® :D

:lol:lol

You're right; I will say more about it! And that's that I agree with everything you just said. He has GREAT ideas and concepts; he just sucks at their execution. :(

:lol:lol

You're right; I will say more about it! And that's that I agree with everything you just said. He has GREAT ideas and concepts; he just sucks at their execution. :(

here is the IMDB info on this subject... (of course the IMDB can be edited by unauthorized persons but its still there and not redacted so take with a grain of salt.. but may very well be true)

George Lucas asked Lawrence Kasdan to write the script (and possibly for Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002) and Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith(2005) as well), but he turned it down because he thought with Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983), Lucas's relationship to the movies had taken one step back and that he alone should take responsibility and make exactly the movie he wanted to make.
George Lucas approached David Hare to write the screenplay and even co-direct the film. Lucas confessed he had reservations about working with the actors, and hoped that he could focus on the action while Hare focused on the acting. Hare declined.

Frank Darabont was originally slated to be writing the script at one point, as was Carrie Fisher, who was said to be helping out as a script doctor.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back