Pacific Rim

I just got back from watching Man of Steel, where I saw the preview for Pacific Rim in IMAX 3D ..... INCREDIBLE! It is a must-see opening weekend in IMAX 3D!

This fIlm oozes of awesomeness even with a cheesy line like "Today we are cancelling the apocalypse!". It's great to see Pearlman and Del Toro back together. Hopefully another Hell Boy film is on the horizon. This may just be the biggest film of the summer.

First Look at Odd City Entertainment's PACIFIC RIM Print Series Featuring Gabz | Collider
Odd City Entertainment’s Pacific Rim print by artist Gabz.

"While Gabz is up first, he will be followed by Todd Slater, New Flesh, Gordon Jones and Graham Erwin. The screen prints will be randomly released beginning on Tuesday, July 2nd and lasting through Thursday, July 11th via the Odd City web store at Odd City Entertainment and you can follow them on twitter @OddCityNews for continued updates regarding announcement information and drop dates of the other artist’s prints."

Part of the press release:

When looking for artists to approach this soon to be classic sci-fi flick, Odd City Founder, Roman Morales, quickly zeroed in on the perfect lot that could bring the director’s vision to screen printed glory. Gabz, a world-renowned Polish artist, will be the first in this series to release his print upon unsuspecting Fanboys and Fangirls across the globe.

Gabz expressed his enthusiasm about working on this project, “This is actually the first time I had an opportunity to work on something this big, so I was both excited and slightly overwhelmed at the beginning. Until now, I had worked on movies with plenty of references to be found on the Internet. In this case, I was mainly limited to the first teaser trailer that came out (pretty mind blowing by the way). I focused on Gipsy Danger, but instead of putting him in some type of massive sea battle, which was quite tempting, I proposed something inspired by World War 2 propaganda posters; something where the giant robot symbolizes the last stand of humanity. To better show the scale of the threat, I added a glimpse of the giant Kaiju hidden in the skyline. I’m pleased with the outcome and particularly with my version of the poster title, clearly inspired by Japanese apocalyptic cinema posters.”

Roman, who worked closely with Gabz and the studios in this creative process, also commented on his beautiful work of art, “From the moment we discussed this project, Gabz was a part of it. He had already done a piece for us that we had yet to release and working with him was so easy. He had the ability to see the big picture, no pun intended. From just a single teaser, he was able to capture the spirit of a film that was already stirring all of our film geek sensibilities. I couldn’t see this series without him.”

Size: 24x36”

Colors: Regular – 6 Colors w/2 metallic inks / Variant – 6 colors w/3 metallic inks

Printed by: D&L Screenprinting

Regular – 225 / $55

Variant – 80 / $75

Variant – Metal 55 /$275

Last edited:
I'm really digging the mecha designs. This movie looks like it'll be cool to watch. Too bad we can't talk the makers of this into getting the rights to Transformers from Bay or maybe the rights to Gundam.

Caught the extended trailer during last nights "Under the Dome" premiere. Looking sweet! Also, on that pic above, if you look at his visor, it looks like a smiling mouth. Still, I like it.

I received the making of the movie book today as a birthday present. It's awesome. The artwork is amazing and there are lots of extras- art cards, posters, stickers, etc. Definitely recommend getting it.

I'm basically ready to buy it on blu-ray based on the trailers alone. There is going to have to be a major screw up to turn me off this film. But i've liked every blockbuster aimed Del Toro movie so far and I don't see myself being disappointed.

Thanks, Vivek. It does seem odd to say the least. I have yet to be dissapointed by Del Torro's work. I just ordered the three figures for my son and I to have some awesome adventure time with ;). Looking forward to this one.

Just looked up the 3D on this one.. looks like it's a "hybrid" 3D conversion. So the live action stuff is shot 2D and converted, but all of the CGI is rendered natively in 3D. So the best parts of the movie will also have the best 3D implementation. Definitely want to see this one.

It's odd, too, because when I first saw the trailer, I was kinda "meh". Looked contrived and too far out there, etc. But the closer we get, the more excited I'm getting. Think it's gonna be pretty damned cool.

Interesting about the conspiracies surrounding the marketing. I wonder if Legendary is just waiting until like next week to kick in the big guns and go all-out on the advertising and such?

I think this movie is going to surprise a lot of people. I'm about 75% through the "making of" book and I can tell you this isn't just a giant robot vs. giant monster movie. Del Toro is a great storyteller and from his notes in the book this is a story first and foremost about human characters.

A few pics from the book-

The movie is also not just going to be a CG fest. Lots of practical effects- the Jaeger conn pods were done as functioning sets and apparently they were pretty exhausting for the actors in the suits. Two fully functioning hydraulic conn pods were constructed and each Jaeger pilot had six suits for various film shots. The photos of the sets in the book are pretty incredible.

Last edited:
I saw the 3D trailer for this ahead of Man of Steel and was blown away. I'm still not sold on 3D for most films, but this is one I definitely WANT to see in the format!

Sweet making of book. Checking to see prices on Amazon right now. I think this movie is going to make bank in a BIG way. I would say if anything, the Lone Ranger may just be this year's John Carter.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back