JB Weld not holding on Cap Shield

TheGeekFoundry

I'm sorry if I'm posting this to the wrong board. I built a shield a few weeks ago and attached the aluminum strap brackets to to the back of the shield using JB Weld. I've done that on other shields and had no problems. I held on to this shield for a few weeks before I sold it to make sure that everything held up properly. The strap brackets held up beautifully, and to test them, I swung the shield around and pulled on the straps with a fair bit of strength to make sure they wouldn't come off. They didn't budge. Now I've mailed the shield to a guy who sent me pics showing that the brackets came off during shipping.

Has anybody else run into problems with JB Weld not holding? Could it be the heat during shipping that caused the brackets to come loose? I'd appreciate any input.

That is really surprising; I used that same stuff on mine and it feels like it's never going to come off.:confused Maybe a bad batch or expired?

I'm sorry if I'm posting this to the wrong board. I built a shield a few weeks ago and attached the aluminum strap brackets to to the back of the shield using JB Weld. I've done that on other shields and had no problems. I held on to this shield for a few weeks before I sold it to make sure that everything held up properly. The strap brackets held up beautifully, and to test them, I swung the shield around and pulled on the straps with a fair bit of strength to make sure they wouldn't come off. They didn't budge. Now I've mailed the shield to a guy who sent me pics showing that the brackets came off during shipping.

Has anybody else run into problems with JB Weld not holding? Could it be the heat during shipping that caused the brackets to come loose? I'd appreciate any input.

That is really surprising; I used that same stuff on mine and it feels like it's never going to come off.:confused Maybe a bad batch or expired?

I wish I knew. I had only just bought the stuff a week or so before and used darn near the whole two tubes on those brackets because I wanted to make absolutely sure that they were strong.

Did you wipe down the inside of the shield with acetone or anything to remove grease and oils? I've heard of JB weld not holding because the surface isn't completely clean.

The only thing I can think of is that it didn't fully cure; how long after testing it did you mail it out?

I held on to the shield for about a week and a half before I shipped it.

Did you wipe down the inside of the shield with acetone or anything to remove grease and oils? I've heard of JB weld not holding because the surface isn't completely clean.

This could very well be the problem. Now that I think about it, I am not entirely sure I did wipe it with acetone.

thanks to both of you for your replies.

I've had JB Weld "pop" off before Could have been an impact in shipping, or temperature change with the metal. Honestly, that's why I always use the 3M Outdoor adhesive tape for shield brackets.

I do not use JB Weld as an adhesive, it has no shearing strength, twist anything and it pops off. Sand the surfaces and use a metal adhesive. If you wanna go crazy, use Hernon airplane adhesives. JB Weld is good for filling in cracks. Silicone or liquid nails gives me better results

I've had JB Weld "pop" off before Could have been an impact in shipping, or temperature change with the metal. Honestly, that's why I always use the 3M Outdoor adhesive tape for shield brackets.

i was was wondering whether I should just use tape. It holds up well? Does it ever have to be replaced?

I do not use JB Weld as an adhesive, it has no shearing strength, twist anything and it pops off. Sand the surfaces and use a metal adhesive. If you wanna go crazy, use Hernon airplane adhesives. JB Weld is good for filling in cracks. Silicone or liquid nails gives me better results

I will look into it. Thanks!

It's called 3M Outdoor Mounting Tape. You can find it at most hardware stores. It has a red liner and comes in various strengths ... 5lb, 10lb, etc. Even the 5lb will hold strong. I have had it on several shields for years with no issues.

Amazon.com: 3m outdoor mounting tape

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back