Jurassic World

The only thing that keeps bugging me about the film's premise (since they don't appear to be using feathered dinos!) is the concept of people losing interest in dinosaurs. These are just not creatures that become mundane to humans; the idea of a kid with his back to a pen playing a handheld game is ludicrous. People love theme parks, and people LOVE dinosaurs. It would take forever for everyone who wanted to visit Jurassic Park (sorry, World) to make the trip even once, and most everyone would want to return. We keep going to zoos, we keep going to Disney World and Universal Studios, and we keep obsessing over even depictions of what these animals might have been like. The idea that one more hybrid creature is going to boost attendance to a sinking CLONED DINOSAUR THEME PARK... I don't think I can quite get my head around the premise. I wish they were just giving us a story that takes place with the original creatures in a finally-opened park.

It's thought Rex and related species may have had a type of fuzz or primitive feather layer, looking more like thick hair rather than the type of feathers typically se on birds. Some related babies certainly did, according to recent discoveries, and it's only guess work the adults did too. It's thought they may had lost this covering as they grew and acted as an insulation to keep infants warm. I must admit, those pics posted don't seem right somehow, but maybe with the right artistry (or a photo of a real T-rex :D), it will work.

The size of the average adult tyrannosaur would make feathers unnecessary and likely counter productive as well. Something the size of an adult tyrannosaur would probably rapidly overheat if it was covered in even a proto-feather type fuzz because of the laws regarding gignatothermy which basically states that the bigger you are the more heat you're going to retain.

The only thing that keeps bugging me about the film's premise (since they don't appear to be using feathered dinos!) is the concept of people losing interest in dinosaurs. These are just not creatures that become mundane to humans; the idea of a kid with his back to a pen playing a handheld game is ludicrous. People love theme parks, and people LOVE dinosaurs. It would take forever for everyone who wanted to visit Jurassic Park (sorry, World) to make the trip even once, and most everyone would want to return. We keep going to zoos, we keep going to Disney World and Universal Studios, and we keep obsessing over even depictions of what these animals might have been like. The idea that one more hybrid creature is going to boost attendance to a sinking CLONED DINOSAUR THEME PARK... I don't think I can quite get my head around the premise. I wish they were just giving us a story that takes place with the original creatures in a finally-opened park.

I was at Hershey Park last week and a teenage girl was texting ON A ROLLERCOASTER. So yes, some brats would ignore dinosaurs. Anything that doesn't feed their petty narcissism is irrelevant. I think you underestimate how utterly trite, tedious, dull, and just plain stupid many people are.

I was at Hershey Park last week and a teenage girl was texting ON A ROLLERCOASTER. So yes, some brats would ignore dinosaurs. Anything that doesn't feed their petty narcissism is irrelevant. I think you underestimate how utterly trite, tedious, dull, and just plain stupid many people are.

Sort of like the kids who are sitting in a panel at a con but instead of actually watching the panel they're busy checking their Twitter feeds. There's probably people at the panel who are following the panel through their Twitter feed despite being their live and in person.

But these them parks and conventions are still huge business, despite a few disaffected kids attending. The premise of the film is that they had to code a new super dinosaur to boost ticket sales. I can't see it happening!

Really? People become jaded so quickly. I mean, look how fast everyone rushes to adopt a new iphone when their last iphone was a friggin miracle (cue Louis CK rant). In a few years, cloned dinos would be old hat. Think about all the wondrous, mind blowing crap we take for granted. Try to get a kid to watch a youtube video of the Mars rover, for instance.

I agree wholeheartedly. To go further off Cayman's space analogy, think about the moon landing back in the day. In 1969 it was, quite literally, the biggest thing that had ever happened to mankind - something that, to this day, has not been replicated or really been "topped". And yet in 2014 we regard the landing as a novelty, really. Despite the fact that we've never tried it again, we regard it as "cool for the time". When I learned about it in school as a kid it was very, very uninteresting...because it was, I guess, "old".

Think about all the crazy **** we see everyday, hundreds of thousands of new media pouring in every minute documenting  stuff that should be phenomenal but is just sold as news. A guy jumped out of a freaking satellite a while back and free fell to Earth for like 15 minutes or something ridiculous, and the most you'll get out of someone is "yeah, I remember seeing that, that was pretty cool", and then move on to the next thing. The point that is really being driven home here is that this day and age is so over-saturated with big achievements and wonderful things, that anyone or anything that isn't constantly breaking new ground is going to get lost in the ocean of media and quickly forgotten. It becomes trivial, and it does so quickly.

If Jurassic Park was established in real life in 1994, in 2014 it would have become boring a long time ago. Theme parks are inherently like that. Once you've seen it...you've seen it. Theme parks are inherently like that due to their nature. Disneyland is an atypical example since there is a whole bizarre culture that surrounds that place that extends waaaay deeper than just the theme park itself. But look at something more along the lines of a traditional theme park - something like Legoland, for example. When Legoland opened up back whenever it opened up, it was a big deal. A huge achievement, groundbreaking, as a kid at the time it was about the most excited I can remember being. I went twice, LOVED it, but never really went back. I'd seen it, remembered it fondly, and that was it. You don't really get a lot of return for going back. And these days Legoland is kind of dilapidated.

It's easy to SAY that dinosaurs could never become boring, because that seems outlandish, but let's get real...yeah, they would. A lot less boring things have become old-hat just as easy. Jurassic Park is a one-trick pony, and once you've seen it a couple times, there's not much reason to go back.

Premise makes sense to me. Big time.

The only thing that keeps bugging me about the film's premise (since they don't appear to be using feathered dinos!) is the concept of people losing interest in dinosaurs. These are just not creatures that become mundane to humans; the idea of a kid with his back to a pen playing a handheld game is ludicrous. People love theme parks, and people LOVE dinosaurs.

FWIW
My first son was dino crazy. Knew all their names and played with them all the time. Second son... couldn't care less and only knows T-Rex and maybe V-raptor.

The only thing that keeps bugging me about the film's premise (since they don't appear to be using feathered dinos!) is the concept of people losing interest in dinosaurs.

That's why they need to incorporate what Gennaro enquired about in the first movie: auto-erotica! :p

Last edited:
That's all anecdotal stuff though, and its about individuals more than the general population. There are a lot of financial barriers to returning to the moon and not a whole lot of good reason to put a person on it again soon. That doesn't mean that people don't still dream about space, or that sci-fi is a dead genre. People still go to Disneyland in droves 60 years after it opened; people are still clamoring for pictures or any information on a Jurassic Park movie two decades after the original. There are 8 billion people in the world and a real life dinosaur park would have more than a decade or so of shelf life by any measure.

That said, I'm glad the justification for making a new non-dino dino doesn't bother most fans! It's a small hangup for me, and it may not bother me either once I see how they play it.

Jurassic World pays tribute to "Hammond" Richard Attenborough
hammond-statue-small.jpg

hammond-statue-small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if anyone has posted this already but I thought i would share this overlay of the new park versus the original. Things to notice are the monorail tour starts at the location of the original main gate, the lagoon fits exactly in the space around the original roads, and a gondola lift is in the location of the original visitors center
jp map overlay.jpgJptourmap2.jpgJurassic-World-Jurassic-Park-Map.jpgjurassic-world-map.jpg

If we were trying to make an ACCURATE prediction about the story, then people would be jaded about Dinos.

Not because everyone has been to JP. But rather because pretty soon after JP got off the ground it sprouted several more locations around the world. And competitor franchises ripped off their tech and did the same thing, etc.

I had a vision ... mixing franchises ... Jurassic World of the Apes! Think of the dramatic tension.
while we're at it how about Godzilla vs. Transformers?
I would totally watch these! I'm semi serious.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back