Anovos Stormtrooper.... thoughts?

By the same token, and to address the thickness or lack thereof of the bucket and armor, I wonder if the thing could be strengthened with fiberglass from the inside?

It could melt the ABS, but I'm sure there is a way. It should be fairly sturdy as is though. It is weak and floppy until it is assembled, it becomes quite a sturdy structure.

edit: I remember it was styrene I accidentally melted with fibreglass, not sure about ABS

By the same token, and to address the thickness or lack thereof of the bucket and armor, I wonder if the thing could be strengthened with fiberglass from the inside?

It could melt the ABS, but I'm sure there is a way. It should be fairly sturdy as is though. It is weak and floppy until it is assembled, it becomes quite a sturdy structure.

edit: I remember it was styrene I accidentally melted with fibreglass, not sure about ABS

I reinforced one of my AP helmets to give it a nice rigid and sturdy feel and it worked fine.

I paid $650 for a used already built FX suit in 2005 and then had to take it apart and re-build it to fit me.

I can't believe I didn't buy 2 sets of this Anovos armor instead of just 1 set.

I can't believe I only bought the helmet and not the whole armor kit...d'oh.

I didn't think I'd be able to build the armor myself, but I mean, for $350 for the whole shooting match, I could have screwed it up and not felt that bad about myself.

I've been fixing up an old SDS helmet of mine which needed some major crack repairs and reinforcing very thin plastic, coating the inside with fiberglass/epoxy resin wokred a treat and now it is rock solid.

Unless you kick your resin super hot, you shouldn't distort, (and especially not melt,) the helmet.

You could use a slower setting epoxy if you were really worried. 16-24 hour cure time epoxies generally don't have too much exotherm.

Ordered mine on 5/1, they made shipping label on 1/22 and just received notification it has left Carson CA today on its way to MI with delivery on 1/30. :thumbsup Oh and they won't let you sign for it online, that option is not available.

Wife's gonna kill me :lol She laughed when I said I was making a squad.

This makes 5.

Last edited:
That would be one HELL of a lot of paint though :) There's something going on there though, and it just seems like a weird, utterly random decision Anovos would have made during production, as the prototype helmets don't have that sharp edge - they deliberately changed that along the way for some reason.

Based on this line pulled directly from their website, "Utilizing the best features of the various helmets made for the original Star Wars
trilogy, this offering consists of the following features:" they deliberately made changes to the original stunt helmet. In fact, when watching the movie again, the sharper eye shapes remind more of the Luke and Han's hero helmets than that of a stunt helmet. If you take what they stated on their website, and see what they're actually producing, they've definitely done a little sifting and winnowing.

And yes, this is nothing more than nitpicking - but someone asked what we think. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I know they idealized and made some changes, what I found weird was that somewhere in the production process they went from the more familiar, rounder eyes on the prototype bucket to the sharper look that's shipping. I wouldn't have thought there's any production advantage to the sharper look (wouldn't it actually be harder to pull?), so they made that decision for some, currently unknown, reason. There must have been some method in their madness on that detail. Anyways, more of a curiosity than anything else - it is so not in any way visually bothering me that for me it isn't worth fussing over it at all.

They used a mc suit on their website for the snow trooper, maybe they did something similar with the tk

Sent fra min SM-T550 via Tapatalk

As others have said, I've reinforced ABS before with fiberglass and it worked just fine. That was my first thought when I pulled the helmet out.

I just had this thought. Could LF and or Disney demanded some minor changes for licensing purposes? Only Got Maul can answer this one... Josie??? Hellooo???

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

I guess I assumed they maybe had some issues with the level of detail in the prototype pulls so they either A went to a slightly thinner ABS for the plate, B sharpened the corners on the eye lips to correct for any loss of detail, or C both. Then maybe they got TOO much detail and it was too late to start over.

Then maybe they got TOO much detail and it was too late to start over.

That's an interesting point and I wondered the same thing. It they slightly knocked down the edges on the mold it would bring things closer in line.

There have been some comments about the wonky frown and it is a little wonky and, in comparison with my RS, it is certainly distorted but not without precedence. If you look at my RS from a certain angle you see a similar kink to the lower right side of the frown:
DSC_0005s.jpg

Honestly, after seeing some comps like Dave's and others, I'm rethinking I should have purchased 3 of these kits. For $350 it really is a great kit for everything you get. I love my GF TK suit, but I don't think this one would have looked so bad next to it as another display piece. If they offer the kit again, even at $650 as some have stated, I'd buy one.

- - - Updated - - -

I just had this thought. Could LF and or Disney demanded some minor changes for licensing purposes? Only Got Maul can answer this one... Josie??? Hellooo???

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

That's what my thought was on the matter after seeing the prototype and then the changes made. I think Disney was like, Oh, yeah...it's a little too close to the real deal. Change it!!

I guess I assumed they maybe had some issues with the level of detail in the prototype pulls so they either A went to a slightly thinner ABS for the plate, B sharpened the corners on the eye lips to correct for any loss of detail, or C both. Then maybe they got TOO much detail and it was too late to start over.

That sounds awfully plausible actually. Somewhere between the choice of PVC, then their custom formulated plastic, then finally ABS, I wonder if the thickness of the material they were planning on using originally necessitated that the curves on the buck be over-emphasized. Then, having spent the time and money on metal bucks, they didn't want to start over after choosing to go with a thinner gauge plastic. Huh, yeah, I buy that.

That sounds awfully plausible actually. Somewhere between the choice of PVC, then their custom formulated plastic, then finally ABS, I wonder if the thickness of the material they were planning on using originally necessitated that the curves on the buck be over-emphasized. Then, having spent the time and money on metal bucks, they didn't want to start over after choosing to go with a thinner gauge plastic. Huh, yeah, I buy that.

They also had the metal bucks machined. I don't do machining, but I would imagine it would be difficult to get the pumps/worts on the armor this way

That's an interesting point and I wondered the same thing. It they slightly knocked down the edges on the mold it would bring things closer in line.

There have been some comments about the wonky frown and it is a little wonky and, in comparison with my RS, it is certainly distorted but not without precedence. If you look at my RS from a certain angle you see a similar kink to the lower right side of the frown:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll268/dcarty9780/DSC_0005s.jpg

I was looking at my Gino earlier and it has a slight distortion as well, not as significant, but it's noticeable

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back