METAL GREEBLIES - What do you use?

DylanRose

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It's funny to think that there's a market for bins of miscellaneous spare parts. But if someone was selling it i'd buy it.

I've been doing some digging recently into good sources for metal greeblies and thought I would share some findings and see if anyone else has gone down this rabbit hole who would like to share. My use case was finding parts for a lightsaber interior but there's tons of other uses as well. So if you've got a great source for greeblies and weird parts, post it here!

I started the search looking at brass fittings and components for small electronics. A quick google image search for 'Brass electronics' reveals a small universe of great looking parts which I have no familiarity with but suddenly need in my shop. I have yet to find a good source for buying assortments of these sorts of things but if anyone knows of any please share!
brass-elec-socket01-big.jpg

01-500x500.jpg

My next stop was aluminum upgrades for model cars. This is a wonderful rabbit hole to go down. I

Here's some great sites I was exploring:
http://www.tedsmodelingmarketplace.com/
http://www.vcgresins.com/main.html
https://www.megahobby.com/categories/aftermarket-parts/model-car-detail-parts.html

I'll add more as i find them. Where do you guys get your miscellaneous odds and ends??

My current job is carrying out electrical testing and maintenance of rental properties and since I started building Sabers I've been scavenging all sorts of greeblies from decorative light fittings, old motors, PC hard drives, heaters etc, pretty much anything I remove or replace. UK electrical plugs tend to have brass pins like your second pic, I collect them as well. I like the look of RC car rims for blade plugs or a crystal mount. I've also bought packs of assorted copper, brass and ally ott cuts from K&S metals.
Darth Chasm posted a thread on FXSabers full of stuff like this including spare parts from tatooing equipment. :)

I have an old sub amp module and old SONY VCR waiting stripping down. I'm sure there are goodies to be had inside.

Where I live there was once a store that sold pick-and-mix parts for making necklaces. They had small gold-plated pins, plates, rings, fasteners and stuff.
I was the only guy in there... :lol

At work we have a bin where we toss electrical and electronic garbage for recycling. My colleges always why they so often find me head down in the chuck-bin...

The best thing about these old machine parts is that they have natural patina to start with. I love old and worn!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back