Ghost in the Shell

It looks like they're sticking pretty close to the original Anime feature film visually. It's almost too close. ScarJo looks great but I feel like they should have used an unknown. The anime Makoto was arresting to watch because her masklike affect, stillness and, despite her appearance, was asexual. ScarJo is expressive and feminine. I don't like that. And unless it's exceptionally scripted and performed, she's always going to look like ScarJo in an action flick instead of Makoto.

I hope I'm wrong but so far it looks like something I'm only going to watch once.

Last edited:
dascoyne: it's Mo to ko - repeat after me: Motoko ;). Motoko Kusanagi.

I quickly took a glance at the openings of GitS and GitS SAC, they are marrying the two together, the Geisha and the guest are from the SAC Episode 1 and the cyberbrain hacked dude in the anime was the near copied 1:1 in the trailer. But I don't know if that works, pandering with famous scenes does not make a movie.

Either retell GitS for the broader audience as a live action movie or do it a total original one, but don't blend two knowns together, it could backfire.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's interesting to see how they've taken direct inspiration from the anime, and attempted to create a real world replica. I've honestly sat there watching the original GITS and tried envisioning what it would look like in real life......and this is about it. It's hard to say if they went in any other direction, if it would be better or worse. I'm sure there could have been a few different casting choices, but overall, looking at the actors, I knew exactly who they were from the anime. I will definitely see this.

How disappointingly uninspired the the guns were...
Any influences from Masamune Shirow's designs are blatantly absent.

This movie looks like yet another Aeon Flux to me. Where they adapted a very stylistic franchise and completely missed the boat.

The guns look good to me...and this looks nothing like Aeon Flux. This looks way more faithful aesthetically than that movie was to its source material.

I'm hyped for this movie. More cyberpunk is always a good thing and this looks like they really are trying and it's not just a cheap cash grab.

I did not mean literally. It was an analogy. Sorry for the confusion.

No, there's no confusion on my end. I understood what you meant. My response was that I disagree. Aeon Flux was not a good adaptation while this one looks a lot closer and more faithful to the source material.

I've been a huge fan of "Ghost in the Shell" since I saw it at a Bristol Anime festival nearly twenty years ago and its still one of my most re-viewed films. The spider tank end battle ,as a combination of action , animation, unpredictability and soundtrack is simply brilliant.The first two SAC series skillfully extended and detailed that GITS universe, as well as fill in many of the backstories (but can also have some very slow and dull episodes at times).I was never keen on the tachikomas, though their sacrifice at the very end was moving.
I initially was dead set against the live action remake/reboot particularly when I saw SJ was taking the lead, BUT,having seen the trailer, plus all the info thats filtering out of Tokyo , I'm kind of optimistic .
The guns look total in line . There is a lot of blackmarket/terrorist weaponry used throughout the series and this range matches it. Using previous story details and designs make sense, its saves a bucket load of preproduction time and its perfect reference material for the film to use in an already matured , complex and familiar (to some of us) universe and I think they have pretty much nailed the look of it. General audiences who have never watched the series might be very drawn into this world.
The story does concern me a bit ,because since GITS there have been a large number of films and TV productions that have thoroughly explored the ghost in the machine theme. At the moment in the UK we have "Humans" and "Westworld" and I can trace it all back decades to the "I,Robot" series of novels by Asimov which I read as a lad.So what they find to say in the film thats fairly new and interesting without retreading old ground too much could be a problem. BUT considering how "Westworld" is knocking it out of the park at the moment, based an old story, film and theme, who is to say????
So lets be positive here. In a few days this has gone from being a comparative dead loss to having more than a ghost of a chance of being fairly good for me, so lets cut it a break and wait and see.

After reading some of the proposed live action treatments for Akira, I hope it never gets made. Neo-Manhattan, enough said.

Not putting my expectations too high but from what they are doing with ghost in the shell, there could be a good chance in making Akira pretty decent... X)

How disappointingly uninspired the the guns were...
Any influences from Masamune Shirow's designs are blatantly absent.

This movie looks like yet another Aeon Flux to me. Where they adapted a very stylistic franchise and completely missed the boat.

Uzi's and Glocks!

They're basing the guns on what was in the animated films, which used a lot of real world weapons. They're not taking any inspiration from Shirow at all. I'd of fallen out of my chair if I saw a Seburo style weapon in the trailer. I'm going to bet that Rupert Sanders has no idea who Masamune Shirow is.

The Major's Thermoptic pistol in that picture is not based on a Glock. I've not yet identified what it *is*, but it's clearly not a Glock. not all squared off pistols are Glocks.

I believe her pistol in the anime was based on a CZ100.

The thermoptic pistol is a Glock 19 with a clear plastic frame, and a lot of white plastic on it. It's custom made frame and such. Not real sure about the slide being clear plastic. It's also missing the mag release, but that is a Glock 19 based prop gun.

thermoptic-pistol-the-major-scarlett-johansoon.jpg

Custom Glocks with clear frames have been around for awhile now. I've seen the clear plastic frames for sale at gun shows many times. And you can also get clear magazines.

clearglock.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back