The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

WOW! What an awesome thread. i just stumbled on it. Think I'm going to take a crack at painting the fuselage on my FDM and tackle the concept Snow Speeder that was designed around the "Y" cockpit. With any luck it will be close to the scale of the old MPC Snow Speeder.
I kinda like the idea of doing a two seater, so it will have both the pilot and gunner positions.
So far, I'm thinking the two big guns from the STAP and droid kit will be close for the main cannons, and I think I still have the engine section from the old Testors F-19 stealth kit I can bash for the rear engine sections. Ill try to keep you all posted. Warming up the printer now. :)

This question is addressed to any of the 3d printer gurus watching this thread . Is there any way to get dimensions of an stl from the slicer software, or some other viewing software. When I convert an stl to an obj to look at it in Lightwave 3d, it changes the size. It usually gets huge, many meters or feet bigger. I don't know why it does this but it does. Do the slicers or printer programs show the size the part was built at. Lightwave is not doing anything to the file, but the conversion software is. Thanks,

Joe

Yes, when you load an STL into a slicer it should give you the XYZ dimensions. BTW all of the Files that I uploaded were in inches.

As Dave said they do give you XYZ dimensions. And for info some are converting automatically inches to mm or mm to inches pending how you've set up your software. Simplify3D at least does it.

Hi Dave.
I was trying to find the STP files of the Y-wing neck in my folders and it looks like I only have the STL files.....
I was on my way to extend the back a tad and level the surface for the Morgan plus 8 underneath and may make the neck overall a bit wider too... :(
Would that be possible to have access to those? That'd be awesome. :)

Ta

Max - I pulled down all the neck files when I started doing the remodeling. I can send you the old STP files when I get back after the holidays. Or if someone else out there on the RPF has the old files (there have only ever been one version) maybe they can send them to you.

As an update, I have done probably most of the mods needed to make the next more accurate (notice I didn't say 100% accurate!) once the holiday rush calms down I'll try to get them finished and posted. But I do appreciate (and encourage) others doing the same.

Thank you Sir. :)
It's just that I was on fire and as I've done my Top/bottom split version of your model of the body (I've sent them to you via e-mail but not sure if you've received the files....). ;)

Can't wait to see your new version of the neck.

Max - I pulled down all the neck files when I started doing the remodeling. I can send you the old STP files when I get back after the holidays. Or if someone else out there on the RPF has the old files (there have only ever been one version) maybe they can send them to you.

As an update, I have done probably most of the mods needed to make the next more accurate (notice I didn't say 100% accurate!) once the holiday rush calms down I'll try to get them finished and posted. But I do appreciate (and encourage) others doing the same.

Yes, when you load an STL into a slicer it should give you the XYZ dimensions. BTW all of the Files that I uploaded were in inches.

Thanks man, Hopefully I'll be getting a 3d printer for a late Christmas gift to myself, ;-) Then I'll be able to start printing all thus fun stuff, Cheers

Joe

As Dave said they do give you XYZ dimensions. And for info some are converting automatically inches to mm or mm to inches pending how you've set up your software. Simplify3D at least does it.

Yea I'm not sure what my converter is doing. Can't remember the one I use as I'm on the tablet, not computer. They definitely come in massive in Lightwave. Maybe its converting them to full scale, LOL. I'd love a full scale Y wing but I'd have to break out the hammer, nails and plywood for that ;-) I don't think they make a printer big enough yet. Cheers,

Joe

In the CG modeling world a unit is a unit, its only the user that sets the definition as inches, millimeters, etc. Sometimes
When you import a file from one program to another the unit definition doesn't go with it. A frequent issue is a program defaulting to mm when the file is in inches. If the model looks huge try scaling it by 1/25.4. Often that will do the trick. Coincidentally that is almost the same as the studio scale of 1/24. So it is not surprising it looks full scale.

Last edited:
In the CG modeling world a unit is a unit, its only the user that sets the definition as inches, millimeters, etc. Sometimes
When you import a file
From one program to another the unit definition doesn't go with it. A frequent issue is a program defaulting to mm when the file is on inches. If the model looks huge try scaling it by 1/25.4. Often that will do the trick. Coincidentally that is almost the same as the studio scale of 1/24. So it is not surprising it looks full scale.

I'll definitely try that. I do use Lightwave in inches, I'm a die hard imperial guy.Imperial as in measurement, not Darth's folks ;-) I seem to have this problem with the conversion from stl to obj format. My version of lightwave doesn't have stl import, only stl export. Hence the conversion. I'm upgrading soon, so maybe it will have stl import. I definitely like building objects in lightwave, but haven't needed to send them out to cam/cam of any kind. This will change soon when I get the 3d printer. I'll try the scaling route, and see how it works. Cheers,

Joe

Joe,

Also try just scaling by a factor of 10's, 100, 1000, etc...
Often going in/out of Lightwave especially from OBJ this is the fix.
I've rarely needed to scale 25.4 or so as internally LW works in metric and just displays the numbers as Imperial.

L

I'll definitely try that. I do use Lightwave in inches, I'm a die hard imperial guy.Imperial as in measurement, not Darth's folks ;-) I seem to have this problem with the conversion from stl to obj format. My version of lightwave doesn't have stl import, only stl export. Hence the conversion. I'm upgrading soon, so maybe it will have stl import. I definitely like building objects in lightwave, but haven't needed to send them out to cam/cam of any kind. This will change soon when I get the 3d printer. I'll try the scaling route, and see how it works. Cheers,

Joe

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back