Is Rogue One OK for kids?

Why does it bother me so much that everyone thinks this is fine for kids? I'm not criticizing any of the parenting here by any means because you are all right, it probably is fine.

But man, it is still a bleak war movie that seems like it was made for the adult fans who want to see a gritty and badass version of a universally loved space opera. It's not the violence that necessarily bothers me. It's the lack of heroism and the desperate ending. Really I'm criticizing that weird old hollywood rule that violence is more accepted than nudity.

I have a 5 and a 3 year old at home. And I'm not a prude by any means but it seems like so many of the movies for kids are all based on this good guys vs. bad guys narrative. Even the pixar movies are all just action films. Heck, Zootopia was practically a zombie-rage outbreak flick.

To me, Spirited away is bay far the greatest kids movie. Or even Mary Poppins. There'a a great adventure without any real violent conflict.

My 3 year old boy loves batman. But the only Batman I can show him is the brave and the bold or the adam west stuff. In may ways, Frank Miller killed the batman franchise for me.

Took my 10 and 7 year old. No issues at all.

Give kids some credit, they can handle not everything being black and white. Actually it's a good lesson to learn in fantasy.

I agree. After all it does have the word "Wars" in the name. Kids can handle this movie. I handled JAWS in the theater at 10 years old. Yeah, it scared the bejeesus out of me, but I was none the worse for wear.

Took my 10 and 7 year old. No issues at all.

Give kids some credit, they can handle not everything being black and white. Actually it's a good lesson to learn in fantasy.

I think my beef with kids movies in general is that there isn't enough grey. There's too much black and white. Pixar resolves every emotional quest with an action sequence (UP being the most obvious example)

I always find it funny how we as parents protect our kids from the horrors of PG-13 related movies yet when we were young we saw movies that had even more gore/death scenes/ etc. back in the late 70s through the 80s since that was the genre. Now with the newer ratings by age we are worried about whether a movie is suitable for our kids. That was the entire reason for the additional ratings for both theatrical releases and television.

To counter my own comment it is also insane how we parent shouldn't take our kids to see these PG-13 movies but the toy and clothing companies manufacture their wares with them in mind......!!!

Yes there was a high body count but it wasn't Saving Private Ryan death scenes. Most death scenes were either off screen or simply a blaster shot with a body landing. No gore, blood spurting, severed limbs, etc.

I explained to my 7 year old daughter what she might see but she said and that it may not be suitable. She immediately countered with sadness in her voice and stated she WILL see it!!! My son who still talks about Solo's death is concerned about the new characters mainly because through all the toys they are both drawn to a character. Mainly droids!!!

I think the media made this totally overblown. There's as much violence in the movie as is in SW Rebels. It's actually less violent than the OT or Prequels where limbs are cut off! Heck they don't even show wounded Rebels being cared for. I could see if they showed a soldier with a huge blast mark burnt into his armor. I think the only thing a really young kid might have trouble with is the ending. My nephew is 13 and he even said the ending was really sad.

I don't think it's the outright gore that's the issue. It's the relentless intensity of the combat. That and questionable moral ground of the decisions some characters make. I'm not saying kids shouldn't eventually learn the ways of the world, but some things can safely be left for later. But again, it also depends on the kid in question.

If your kid can't handle this movie, for the love of God please don't let your children ever go outside. Real life will probably kill them in a heartbeat.

I cant stress this enough. I can see them being bored, but nightmares? Cmon. If you put on a Don Bluth movie from the 80's, I would expect the kid to have nightmares. This though? :lol

- - - Updated - - -

That is not a very helpful response - all children are different and all respond differently to images and ideas in movies. Movies are not real life, don't for a minute confuse the two.

Found the snowflake! :D

I cant stress this enough. I can see them being bored, but nightmares? Cmon. If you put on a Don Bluth movie from the 80's, I would expect the kid to have nightmares. This though? :lol

- - - Updated - - -

Found the snowflake! :D

Found the simplistic view :)

IMO the overall tone & mojo of a movie (or just a scene) are usually bigger factors than any specific things being seen or heard.

Some of the stuff that happened to Wile E. Coyote was worthy of a Saw movie.

Its so funny how people use that smiley for other than its original intention.

- - - Updated - - -

Did he get bored?

He for sure got a little bored but once the third act kicked I'm sure he wasn't any more. My 11 yr old did say she got bored, but I find this to be an issue with all the OT pacing. Not that I find them boring, just that there are some parts in there for small character development and story fill in

The first half hour of ANH is slow even by 1980s standards. It opens with a bang and then quickly slows to a crawl.

That does help put us into the sparse isolated setting of Luke's farm, though.

I'll say this. If you have a little one who loves Vader, you may want to reconsider bringing them to see Rogue One.

The first half hour of ANH is slow even by 1980s standards. It opens with a bang and then quickly slows to a crawl.

That does help put us into the sparse isolated setting of Luke's farm, though.
To me, it's not as much as it's slow as it is "non-directing". It's that thing they do in disaster /NASA/alien invasion movies where they simply tell you the location via on-screen text rather than using a more interesting form of mise-en-scene.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RO is NOT for kids. Fairy tales, which ANH is by concept, are simple, painted in black and white. RO is NOT simple and painted in quite different shades than the OT. It´s more PT in many aspects, but in more clever ways.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back