Evolution of the War-Machine

Murdoch

Sr Member
From the beginning after watching Iron-man I thought, is it possible to build an armor.
This sat on my mind everytime watched the movie.
I came across the RPF and was drawn into another world. A buffet of creativity and artisans.
I joined in 2012, read several threads over and over again.
The Hero-Tutorials were my best friend. Thanks Stealth, it's your fault lol.
I bought supplies and the software and I began. But wait a minute I'll just do the helmet first, I mean how hard can it be right lol. Finally after the 4th attempt I got it. Got to work on Murdoch's War-Patriot, a hybrid of the War-Machine and Iron-Patriot. Finished to upper torso and wasn't happy with the results.

Card-stock with fibreglass and rondo was next for Murdoch's War-Machine redesigned. Finished the upper torso and wore it around the apartment. Realizing that it was cumbersome, uncomfortable and for me not a functional piece at all.

Metal is the answer, there are some beautiful builds here in metal from masters like Samurai169 and Sandbagger to name a few. But the weight alone would kill me lol.

Aluminum is the ticket. Some great builds in aluminum from Lildo and a few others but I think they are using sheet metal. I need something more rigid. I will go with aluminum plate.

So my re-education begins in the metal arts.
I joined several forums. Studying metal forming and metal casting. Learning kenitic movement of the human body. Studying the mechanical movement of the body. Mechatronics, Bionic, Robotics, Animatronics. Viewed thousands of pics in relation to the build in question. I have been gathering tools and metal.

Now I originally was going to build an all aluminum armor of an original design based on the War-Machine. But I can't, because I would fail in respects of what I want from my build.

I want an armor that can move and be comfortable whill wearing it. An armor that straps to my body is not the way to go, at least not in my mind.

I will build an exoskeleton frame made of Aluminum and Titanium. This will boast a full range of motion.
I have a functional collapsible ab's. I have designed a boot that has an open-closed mech just by stepping into it. Designed a glove that can move as if I wasn't wearing one.
I am beginning with the spine in the new year.
I welcome your thoughts and or opinions, nice or not.
Thanks for your time...GMurdoch

Thanks George I picked up some Titanium yesterday and my cars trunk, and locker at work is packed with Aluminum. I will post reference picks, I repeat REFERENCE PICS shortly. I have no specific design laid out as this is a build as I go project...GMurdoch

Screenshot_2016-11-22-17-29-30-1_zpspfrnjszk.png

20160215_211437-1_zpspuhjhdyo.jpg

This is a render of a redesign of a 3D printed helmet that I had modeled by Dirtsen and printed by GhostMinion...GMurdoch
Not quite finished yet...

2015-01-22%2006.51.33_zpsms5n1obe.jpg

This is a 3D print of the helmet that I redesigned from Zabana's War-Machine file, with permission and great thanks of course. Then Dirtsen modeled it and sent off the file to GhostMinion. I owe them high praise for their hard work on this.
Now on to the spine. I believe that the spine has 23 vertebrae, and in between the vertebrae is a disc. I will replicate these discs by molding a polyurethane or a silicone elastomer disc. For the vertebrae itself I may have to cast the aluminum using a greensand casting...GMurdoch

Last edited:
[url]http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y396/gamurdoch/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-01/2015-01-22%2006.51.33_zpsms5n1obe.jpg[/URL]
This is a 3D print of the helmet that I redesigned from Zabana's War-Machine file, with permission and great thanks of course. Then Dirtsen modeled it and sent off the file to GhostMinion. I owe them high praise for their hard work on this.
Now on to the spine. I believe that the spine has 23 vertebrae, and in between the vertebrae is a disc. I will replicate these discs by molding a polyurethane or a silicone elastomer disc. For the vertebrae itself I may have to cast the aluminum using a greensand casting...GMurdoch

Awesome work man, this is gonna be amazing.

15541405_559805827557866_239164186130625715_n-1.jpg
Just recently we were given a peek at this guy.
I was blown away by the craftsmanship, and the video is equally impressive.
I watched the video several times. I know why it a display piece. But how can that be changed. Yes the outer shell for the most part is rigid with exception to flaps and retractable accent parts.
But what if you could make a functional piece, say the upper torso. Now what if you can put that on like you would a shirt? Now I am not being a heritic or anything, and I am very sober. But with all the mechanisms out there, retractable, collapsible and telescopic to just get started with it should be doable. Just random thoughts from a very tired fella...
GMurdoch

Last edited:
If anyone can do this,it would be you.You have the vision,M ; now go ahead and create it (...but get some sleep first ;) even artists need their shut-eye).

Love to get my hands on a small hobby metal lathe. Anyone in Toronto and the GTA selling one, plus message me. Willing to pay low $'s lol. Seriously though message me...GMurdoch

Thanks for this brother, very informative and inspiring.
Love to see a video on the build process.
GMurdoch

- - - Updated - - -

Love to hear some constructive criticism on this...GMurdoch

I seriously love the amount of detail and craftsmanship that went into creating such an incredible looking piece, kind of sad that barely anything will be seen once the outside panels are on....

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back