The Future of Star Wars?

Why not. One of the eariler stories in the genre of Boy, wizard, dragon, and princess was King Arthur, who had Merlin.

Especially when facing off against vicious teddy bears, armed with wooden spears and their golden deity! :ninja

TimTheEnchanterBones.jpg

The Force fits, too. It's an extension of mystical traditions we have here that have actual demonstrable effects that have never been adequately studied because the rationalsim of the last few centuries has denigrated them as simple tricks and nonsense. But there's a lot of meditative focus, enhancement of natural abilities through biofeedback, channeling and directing of vital energy -- ki, qi, prana, what have you -- to particular ends, from feats of strength to pyrokinesis to healing to psychometry to combat skills and situational awareness...

No, just no.

The only reason the Death Stars ever got so big was accidental. In 1976 the ILM guys told Lucas & Kurtz that they needed a flat surface for the trench battle. GL & Kurtz agreed to make the Death Star so big that it appeared flat from the surface. The larger size of the ROTJ one was the inevitable "sequel = bigger" attitude kicking in.

My own personal imaginary Special Edition of ANH includes the original DS being brought back down to size a little. Same for the ROTJ one.

Either DS could be (and probably would be) built fairly quickly (for what it is) in a modular fashion. A whole bunch of crews would build individual sub-assemblies at the same time. The pieces would all be assembled together late in the process. That's how they build an aircraft carrier ship today. In SW the bad guys could have farmed out the job of building all those sub-assy's covertly for a while before coming out of the closet when final assembly time came. Many of the sub's could have been excused as being part of new Star Destroyers or other bases until they were ready to go public with what they were really doing.

-----------------------

If we're going to get realistic with technology then the SW universe is getting pretty slack with human biological things. Why do human characters get mechanical arms & legs whenever they get chopped by lightsaber? Science will be growing replacement limbs long before we invent half the stuff they already have in SW.

And while I'm ranting, the Midichlorian concept wouldn't bother anyone if it had been in SW from the beginning in 1977. It's not explaining the Force, it's an indirect ballpark way of measuring something.

Last edited:
Even though the dude in avatar, in a giant, robotic mech suit pulls a knife out. Always thought that was the dumbest thing in the entire movie. Youre in a walking suit of armor and you pull a knife? :rolleyes

I would argue that'd be stupid as well. But it does feel in line with that particular character. But that is beside the point which is, Cameron made a mech that doesn't just look cool, it functions, it has a power source, motors etc :)

I am so tired of the argument that "it's a fantasy, they can do whatever they want".
Things still have to be believable within the boundaries of what is possible in its own universe to be able to make sense to me as a viewer.

This!

Richard Donner understood this, verisimilitude. Just like Star Wars, Superman is also fantasy,and when it fantasy doesn't even stick to its own set of rules - MEH :thumbsdown

I would argue that'd be stupid as well. But it does feel in line with that particular character. But that is beside the point which is, Cameron made a mech that doesn't just look cool, it functions, it has a power source, motors etc :)

This!

Richard Donner understood this, verisimilitude. Just like Star Wars, Superman is also fantasy,and when it fantasy doesn't even stick to its own set of rules - MEH :thumbsdown

Maybe by the end of that movie I was just kind of worn out, and thought the whole thing was pretty "meh". I wasnt a big avatar fan. I really dont care about the sequels, and kind of worried about them dedicating so much Avatar stuff to Universal studios, or whatever it is they are doing. That movie was an anomaly. Nobody quotes it, it made the most money cause of foreign markets and visual effects, and nobody talked about it ever again.

Richard Donner did all kinds of things right to support the realism in Superman for 2 hours - and then heaved it out the window in the last few minutes with the time-rewind.

Richard Donner did all kinds of things right to support the realism in Superman for 2 hours - and then heaved it out the window in the last few minutes with the time-rewind.

That I didnt have a problem with. The amnesia kiss? Now that was ridiculous in my opinion. I thought the time rewind was pretty cool actually. Too bad the whole town had to die to save lois though haha.

One thing though, I don't think that Starkiller Base is much larger than either of the two Death Stars, at most it might Star Destroyer sized in terms of overall size and volume or maybee a modest sized country.
I based that on a still from the scene in the movie where they use the size-comparing hologram of Starkiller Base next to a Death Star.
The Death Star is about the same size as the nozzle of Starkiller Base's cannon.

The number 160 was not taken from thin air. Based on that still, I had calculated the relative volume of the two spheres.

I based that on a still from the scene in the movie where they use the size-comparing hologram of Starkiller Base next to a Death Star.
The Death Star is about the same size as the nozzle of Starkiller Base's cannon.

The number 160 was not taken from thin air. Based on that still, I had calculated the relative volume of the two spheres.

Looking at more pics of the SK Base I now realize that it's definitely larger than a Star Destroyer in volume, but it's not really that much more massive than either Death Star when you really think about it. SK Base, while large, clearly doesn't occupy the entire planet, my guess would be that the total volume the base occupies would be around that of one of the Death Stars. Its thrusters/engines, though, would have to magnitudes larger than those on either Death Star in order to move an entire planet.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back