Fantastic Beasts - Swooping Evil

The14thDr

Sr Member
After watching the Fantastic Beasts and JK Rowling's Wizarding World documentary on ITV, I was able to get a couple of screengrabs of the Swooping Evil in cocoon form.
Screenshot_2016-11-26-18-41-28_kindlephoto-3878182.jpgScreenshot_2016-11-26-18-41-15_kindlephoto-3846281.jpg

Granted, these aren't the best quality screengrabs, but images of the Swooping Evil in its cocoon form are pretty much non-existent on the internet (so you can imagine my excitement when these images appeared in the documentary :D)

I'm thinking of giving this a go in the near future, as part of my growing Fantastic Beasts collection, so expect updates soon.

One of my ideas for making a Swooping Evil would be to have an "opening" version, whereby the cocoon opens up to reveal the creature inside (like it does in the movie, but without growing to ten times the size of the cocoon).

At first I couldn't figure out how to do this, but then I thought about pop-up tents or pop-up kites, where you'd just take them out of the packaging, throw them, and POOF! you have a fully assembled kite/tent.

The only trouble is, I haven't the faintest idea how pop-up tents work. If anyone could help with this, I would be most grateful.

Kind regards, The14thDr

One of the newly released "making of" style books (can't remember which one though, sorry), has a good picture of the cocoon prop. Worth having a flick through in the bookshop...

Thanks for letting me know, Howlrunner. I'll take a look next time I'm in the local bookshop. Finding decent reference material for the cocoon seems to be the most difficult part of this build so far.

One of the newly released "making of" style books (can't remember which one though, sorry), has a good picture of the cocoon prop. Worth having a flick through in the bookshop...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a picture from The Case of Beasts books. It is labeled a chrysalis not a cocoon. It's not a great image but it might help.

swooping evil cocoon.JPG

hopefulhp: Thank you so much for posting this. :thumbsup And now you mention it, chrysalis probably makes more sense than cocoon for the pod; a chrysalis is a hard skin, whereas a cocoon is just a silk casing (letting my inner geek shine here, but I'll admit I had to Google this fact ;))
This is a picture from The Case of Beasts books. It is labeled a chrysalis not a cocoon. It's not a great image but it might help.

picosbeak123 These are fantastic! Thanks for sharing. If all goes well I can start working on my replica sometimes this week.

Stay tuned for updates.

Kind regards, The14thDr

Thanks for sharing PotionMistress. :thumbsup This will definitely make sculpting the head a lot easier.

------ Updated ------

Does anyone have any ideas on how pop-up/self erecting tents work? I'm planning to have a chrysalis that opens up into a miniature Swooping Evil creature when thrown, but I have no idea how to achieve this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, The14thDr

On second thought that might not be the best way. After thinking about the way the creature would work and the way it was used in the movie. Something that folds up, opening on that single axis, and having a pull cord to release it would probably be truest to film. As I seem to recall him throwing it like one of those squishy yo yo balls you get out of coin machines. However finding the right material and coming up with a good design will be tough

Thanks SkoomaKat; you've certainly given me plenty to think about.

And I completely agree with your last point; having the "string" act as a pull cord to facilitate the opening of the chrysalis seems to be the best way to do this (not to mention the most film-accurate)

I'll try and think of a way to make this work (but so far nothing immediately comes to mind); hopefully if someone else has any ideas for this, they could post below? It would be a great help.

Kind regards, The14thDr

The two ideas i have are either have the ridge along the front of the wings house some springs, and have the edges of the wings somehow hold onto the wings so its almost as if the swooping evil is rolled up. That when when you throw it and the string comes out the wings will whop open. Of course you'd have to manually reset it.The other idea i had was housing two retractable pulley things, like in those retractable charging cords, but instead of locking they would just be under constant tension until released.

I just thought about making a swooping evil today. I'm glad someone else with more experience than me is tossing the idea around in their head.

To me, the pop-up tent idea seems to be the best. i saw this video on YouTube last night and got an idea:
https://youtu.be/u4952oUMMj4

Although the purpose of the "fire ball" the guy makes in the video is completely different, maybe you could create a wired swooping evil that balls up something like it. If not in a ball shape, then maybe a small pyramid?

that fire ball is really cool! I'm not really sure how it relates to the swooping evil except for size and shape? Pop-up tents are usually being help under tension by a strap, and once the strap is removed, or released, they open up. What you could do is make a "canister" that looks like the cocoon with the top open, so when you throw it out the swooping evil inside the "canister" would still be attached to your string but the swooping evil would slide of and unfurl its majestic wings.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back