star trek enterprise - fifteen years later

is it just me, or was mayweather practically absent for the first 9 episodes of season 3, and then it's like someone remembered he was there when he was killed off in that alternate future timeline?

Soooo I have been trying I promise, but the Season 2/Season 3 Xindi storyline is absolute tripe. I have watched the last S2 episode and the first two S3 episodes twice now, and still haven't a clue...

For me the problem is that there are so many utterly forgettable characters that I am struggling to feel any connection (a bit like Chris Pine's Kirk, and Simon Pegg's Scotty in Nu-Trek)...to be honest Doctor Phlox aside, I really couldn't give a monkeys about any of them!

Soooo I have been trying I promise, but the Season 2/Season 3 Xindi storyline is absolute tripe. I have watched the last S2 episode and the first two S3 episodes twice now, and still haven't a clue...

For me the problem is that there are so many utterly forgettable characters that I am struggling to feel any connection (a bit like Chris Pine's Kirk, and Simon Pegg's Scotty in Nu-Trek)...to be honest Doctor Phlox aside, I really couldn't give a monkeys about any of them!

Basically "the doc" is the best character on both ENT and VOY :p

Last edited:
Basicallt "the doc" is the best character on both ENT and VOY :p

how dare you insult bellana ;o).....a shame she was more or less forgotten when seven was around.

I was just thinking something. was the bajoran angle of the conflict forgotten when everyone was fighting the cardassians in the war?

It's been so long, I can't remember if they had a plot line involving that, other than kira in the finale.

how dare you insult bellana ;o).....a shame she was more or less forgotten when seven was around.

I was just thinking something. was the bajoran angle of the conflict forgotten when everyone was fighting the cardassians in the war?

No, the Bajoran storylines are woven throughout the entire series of DS9, right to the very last episode. There are some very interesting things that go on with the religious/political leaders!

It's been so long, I can't remember if they had a plot line involving that, other than kira in the finale.

*B'Elanna :p

Kira... who? :confused

Kira... who? :confused

_799368176761244_6788396288274793236_n_zpsvm5q6wzq.jpg

Getting through the series...

I forgot about the Enterprise J scene. And that they gave you a decent enough look at the ship via a holo image.
So, 400 years in the future archers time would be not much more than 200 years picards time and the Enterprise E, more or less?

go through 'em fast :)

400 years post-Enterprise would be ~2550s. And just to whack the deceased equine, Enterprise leads to JJ-Trek, not TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY (yes, I know the official position is otherwise, but it's wrong). So they've got the better part of two hundred years to get from Kirk's 1701-A that just launched at the end of Beyond, to the -J from the future. Given how fast Kirk burned through his first Enterprise, I can see 'em lasting about twenty years a pop up to that later ship. *heh*

--Jonah

400 years post-Enterprise would be ~2550s. And just to whack the deceased equine, Enterprise leads to JJ-Trek, not TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY (yes, I know the official position is otherwise, but it's wrong). So they've got the better part of two hundred years to get from Kirk's 1701-A that just launched at the end of Beyond, to the -J from the future. Given how fast Kirk burned through his first Enterprise, I can see 'em lasting about twenty years a pop up to that later ship. *heh*

--Jonah
How does it lead to JJ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

For one thing, in the Prime timeline, NX-01 was named Dauntless. For another, the Enterprise from Enterprise was roughly the tech level of the Prime NCC-1701 as launched (and, after the refit, approximately the same displacement). I find the notion of a century of utter technological stagnation unlikely, to understate. Especially with adversaries so close. And none of the Enterprise lineage displays show the ship from that show. Now, on the other hand, Admiral Marcus had a starship timeline display in his office in Into Darkness that led from the Phoenix up to that universe's NCC-1701... and the NX-01 Enterprise is in that lineup. That show just doesn't fit in the Prime timeline, but it works perfectly as a prologue to the JJ-verse. The Narada coming through wasn't what changed the timeline. I still point to Cochrane gleaning more than the Enterprise-E crew thought he would when they helped repair the Phoenix after the Borg attack in First Contact as what gave the altered timeline a technological jump start.

--Jonah

For one thing, in the Prime timeline, NX-01 was named Dauntless. For another, the Enterprise from Enterprise was roughly the tech level of the Prime NCC-1701 as launched (and, after the refit, approximately the same displacement). I find the notion of a century of utter technological stagnation unlikely, to understate. Especially with adversaries so close. And none of the Enterprise lineage displays show the ship from that show. Now, on the other hand, Admiral Marcus had a starship timeline display in his office in Into Darkness that led from the Phoenix up to that universe's NCC-1701... and the NX-01 Enterprise is in that lineup. That show just doesn't fit in the Prime timeline, but it works perfectly as a prologue to the JJ-verse. The Narada coming through wasn't what changed the timeline. I still point to Cochrane gleaning more than the Enterprise-E crew thought he would when they helped repair the Phoenix after the Borg attack in First Contact as what gave the altered timeline a technological jump start.

--Jonah
The real problem with Enterprise is the fact that they created a prequel series 35 years after the original series--there were going to be continuity errors no matter what they did. Even if they had stuck to previously established canon, the big continuity error would be that there was absolutely no mention of the NX-01 Enterprise or her crew in Star Trek, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, or any of the movies.

The real problem with Enterprise is the fact that they created a prequel series 35 years after the original series--there were going to be continuity errors no matter what they did. Even if they had stuck to previously established canon, the big continuity error would be that there was absolutely no mention of the NX-01 Enterprise or her crew in Star Trek, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, or any of the movies.
They would have had better luck if they did it before tng

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Well, the real problem was that one of the show helmers (Braga) has shown in his work and expressed in interviews an utter disregard for maintaining continuity, especially when doing so is problematic for the story he wants to tell. So we ended up with a show that was neither here nor there. It's Star Trek, so we need Klingons -- even though now First Contact with them is coming about seventy years early. It's Star Trek, so we need transporters and phasers and photon torpedoes and such, even though those were newish a century later. And my problem there gets into Trek and time travel (and, to a degree, time travel stories in general). The preponderance of what we've gotten over the last fifty years supports the Multiverse model, from TOS' "Mirror, Mirror" to TNG's "Parallels". But then we get outliers that support the Continuum model -- where changes made in the past affect the "present" Our Heroes left, rather than splitting off a new timeline. Usually changes that result in Starfleet not existing, or the Federation, or one of Our Heroes, or whatever. Problem is, that doesn't work. Paradox isn't just a cute logic puzzle. The universe is simply not so arranged as to allow it to occur.

So anything that's different in Enterprise doesn't propagate down to the TOS era or TNG or beyond. It's a whole new ball game that will lead someplace unique. Conveniently, the JJ-verse fits that bill perfectly. I have no problem with Captain Archer existing, or the rest of the general, inertial state of things at the time of the series. It's only been about ninety years since First Contact with the Vulcans. The changes to this timeline won't have had time to get too drastic. Quadrant-wide politics won't really have had a chance to be affected by Humans' technology suddenly progressing faster than it had been. The Vulcan's attempts to hold them back now makes more sense, though.

And given how easy it would have been to make a show that actually fit with established lore, and still had dramatic potential, kinda hammers home for me that it's a different timeline. Call the series "Federation" or something, have NX-01 be the Dauntless, have the ringship-Enterprise make an appearance, have the conflict be between the familiar races who will soon join together (though there will still be dissent for a good century hence) into the founders of the Federation. No Klingons, no Ferengi, no Borg, no Romulans (until you get to the Romulan Wars), keep the tech consistent... Show us a step between nuclear-powered cryogenic interstellar sleeper ships in the 1990s and TOS' NCC-1701 in the 2260s.

So yeah...

--Jonah

Yeah, I agree with both posts.

it's pretty clear , even given one show inthe 60s, and one show now..... that enterprise just looks more advanced. they couldn't resist using the transporter as a save the day device. they had to keep relations with the klingons friendly....

Even to a casual star trek fan, things feel off.

But I think the biggest problem is that they made a prequel series LAST so, in SOME cases,they wouldn't have won anyway.

Getting up to season 4. I forgot how akward the Augment episodes where. it was nice to see brent spiner...but it just felt like a longer version of TWOK. Right downto the ending with an almost shot for shot remake of his crawling up to the control board. At least the new 'khan' Augment made an interesting villain, no matter how unhinged and joker like he was.

Now I'm up to the vulcan arc. I forgot that they killed off admiral forest. I liked how the vulcans said that humans remind them so much of themselves, and that explains why they held them back. Although it is funny. In TNG, Picard is said to be vulcan like by spock, and almost klingon like by the klingons, so it kind of fits :).

I think around here is where i stopped checking out the show even casually as I was just all star trekked out at this point. I can't remember if I saw it all the way through...but some scenes ARE standing out.

It's been pretty interesting watching it from start to finish.

It aged much better, I think...even though it has it's problems. Especially considering where they went with JJ Trek, it's aged rather well.

I'm still trying to figure out this stuff about the dauntless. Memory alpha has it as a ship that appeared on voyager

Yes. It was a fake ship as part of an alien plot, but no one on the Voyager batted an eye at a Starfleet ship (before the deception was revealed) named Dauntless and bearing the registry NX-01-A.

--Jonah

Yes. It was a fake ship as part of an alien plot, but no one on the Voyager batted an eye at a Starfleet ship (before the deception was revealed) named Dauntless and bearing the registry NX-01-A.

--Jonah
I didn't see the episode. Was it reffered to as one of the first earth warp ships?

I looked at pics and it looks more advanced (and ugly) than even the enterprise D

Maybe I should just watch the episode

It's more that no one said anything like "Hang on -- wasn't NX-01 the Enterprise?" or "NX-01 wasn't named Dauntless -- what gives?" or any mention made over the name or registry whatsoever. It was presented to them as a new ship with an advanced drive system. The only other example of suffixed registries we've seen is NCC-1701, all of them bearing the same name, as part of a silly tradition. I don't know how far Berman and Braga had gotten in the initial planning of Enterprise by that point, but if they'd wanted to maintain continuity, the later show needed to acknowledge this instance of the NX-01 registry, and either have the NX-01 in the new show be the Dauntless, or have their new Enterprise be something other than NX-01.

We presumed at the time that no one commented because it was such a radical new technology that it was something of a no-brainer for those who knew about the Enterprise tradition that they saw the '-A' on this Dauntless and inwardly went "oh, that makes sense, then", as the original NX-01 (in any universe) would have been a groundbreaking new thing. And then just moved on with the story.

--Jonah

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back