Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get not wanting to support the movie, but I just don't understand the level of hate that it becomes all consuming. Don't see it. It doesn't ruin the original one because it exists. My parents didn't freak out when King Kong, War of the Worlds or any other fantastic original movies were remade.

I get not wanting to support the movie, but I just don't understand the level of hate that it becomes all consuming. Don't see it. It doesn't ruin the original one because it exists. My parents didn't freak out when King Kong, War of the Worlds or any other fantastic original movies were remade.
I think a lot of the hatred comes from the way Sony and Feig seem to have reacted against initial skepticism after the first trailer. Had they merely made a rational defense of their film I don't think there would be this degree of hatred. Instead they chose to lash out playing the sexism card. Sure, some outspoken folks who commented on YouTube did have a lot of obscenely sexist remarks but that's the nature of the Internet - just ask any female with a YouTube channel. But Sony went as far as to delete comments that had articulated legitimate concerns and negative comments from females just to fuel the image of being a victim of a sexist conspiracy. On top of that they had the cast go in "girl power" mode when promoting the film (e.g. appearing on Ellen). All the while completely ignoring all the legitimate concerns.

Even if they simply ignored the negativity and talked more about how funny the film is or how fun the production was that would have put them in a much better light.

I like Paul Feig's movies. It think Wiig and McCarthy have been hilarious together. But the way they handled things really make it unpleasant, at least for me, to have anything to do with that film.

I think someone pointed this out earlier, but if it was all about discrimination, why wasn't there the same outcry against The Force Awakens because of a female lead and a black lead? And Star Wars has a much larger fan base, to be sure.

Last edited:
I know, how dare he have an opinion contrary to your own, right?

Too bad they didn't take him behind a wall and execute him for wrong-think

2 messages in 5 years and this is what you bring to the table?

Last edited:
I think someone pointed this out earlier, but if it was all about discrimination, why wasn't there the same outcry against The Force Awakens because of a female lead and a black lead?

Kinda was... this movie just got the internet dog pile. Internet is weird like that. They made a show about it "The internet ruined my life"... not kidding.

Kinda was... this movie just got the internet dog pile. Internet is weird like that. They made a show about it "The internet ruined my life"... not kidding.
I knew there was some but I didn't think it was that much. My point was that all the negative response from the Ghostbusters trailer can't all be from sexism.

Besides, if that's he case, then it makes my point even more. Disney/Lucas seem to have handled it with class so the sexism card didn't hang like an albatross around the film's neck the way it does for Ghostbusters.

2 messages in 5 years and this is what you bring to the table?

What do you hope to achieve with that comment? I usually lurk, read, and private message. The fact that that was my second comment in 5 years should give you an insight into why I posted what I did.

Did it not conform to your expectations for me? Do you wish to ban me from the forum for wrong-think as well?

This will be the last post I make in this particular thread and I won't read the replies. Something Leslie should have done on her Twitter Timeline to avoid harassment.

The Force Awakens didn't reboot SW, hire a male-bashing director who didn't want the job, recast Han & Luke & Obi-Wan as females, keep all the Empire baddies male, claim the gender-swap wasn't a gimmick while it's the only thing they talk about . . . and then point & scream "SEXIST BIGOT!!" at anyone who dared to question anything.

That's basically what Feigbusters did.

Last edited:
The Force Awakens didn't reboot SW, hire a male-bashing director who didn't want the job, recast Han & Luke & Obi-Wan as females, keep all the Empire baddies male, claim the gender-swap wasn't a gimmick while it's the only thing they talk about . . . and then point & scream "SEXIST BIGOT!!" at anyone who dared to question anything.

That's basically what Feigbusters did.

and if that jones tweet can be verified as a real mistake supposed to be DM, they've also been writing the WORST of the trashy stuff against the fans and toward the cast/movie for at least the past few months on YT and on twitter. probably through interns posting the stuff. and considering all this cast and crew has done for publicity, I would NOT put it past them.

looking up the twitter history of that crap last night.... hacked or not, neither side in that mess came off looking good. if people would just start using the block button, they'd be better off.

and you know... I wouldn't doubt if that hospital stuff was a test.

Lets say maybe 5 idiots posted something stupid. i'm willing to bet it's not unfeasable that sony saw that, said 'what a great way to market. making the fans look bad' and started to do more of it right then and there as a test as more bad dailies came in.

If ghostbusters fans are so bad....you'd think you'd be seeing those memes reposted more places. but at least in the places i visit, I don't. except by fans who want to put movie detractors in a bad light. the conspiracy theorist in me says hmm..

Last edited:
So you are dismissing the incitement of racial hate against an individual a 'wrongthink' ? And then victim shaming that individual? Yes you should be banned.

What do you hope to achieve with that comment? I usually lurk, read, and private message. The fact that that was my second comment in 5 years should give you an insight into why I posted what I did.

Did it not conform to your expectations for me? Do you wish to ban me from the forum for wrong-think as well?

This will be the last post I make in this particular thread and I won't read the replies. Something Leslie should have done on her Twitter Timeline to avoid harassment.

Wow, finally? That dude is straight garbage.

Ohhh bullcrap. Are you one of those whiny college kids who needs safe spaces?? Does Milo trigger you?? Milo has done soo much for free speech in this PC destroying country than any politician in the last decade. People are waking up in droves. I'm a HUGE Nero fan. Words hurt you if you choose to let them. Like it or not.. He stands for free speech and if anyone bothers to watch his talks he gives everyone a platform as long as it is civil and not this fake protest garbage these weak minded millennials think is progressive. And for the record, to quote the great Nero himself.. "feminism is cancer, thank you very much" :lol

Anyone triggered?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not about PC or triggering or any of that nonsense. The guy was openly encouraging racist harrassment. You are walking on very thin ice here, this goes way beyond petty squabbling about nerd rage and into open racism, which is waaaaaay contravening the RPF guidelines.

Ohhh bullcrap. Are you one of those whiny college kids who needs safe spaces?? Does Milo trigger you?? Milo has done soo much for free speech in this PC destroying country than any politician in the last decade. People are waking up in droves. I'm a HUGE @Nero fan. Words hurt you if you choose to let them. Like it or not.. He stands for free speech and if anyone bothers to watch his talks he gives everyone a platform as long as it is civil and not this fake protest garbage these weak minded millennials think is progressive. And for the record, to quote the great @Nero himself.. "feminism is cancer, thank you very much" :lol

Anyone triggered?

It's not about PC or triggering or any of that nonsense. The guy was openly encouraging racist harrassment. You are walking on very thin ice here, this goes way beyond petty squabbling about nerd rage and into open racism, which is waaaaaay contravening the RPF guidelines.

The one thing that most non-internet savvy individuals don't understand are the trolls. You react openly after being "attacked," you're only going to open the door for more trolls. Yes, most of these people literally have nothing else better to do with their time than to post all day long to get you to respond for "the LOLs," so they will say pretty much anything to get that response.

I disagree. Milo is a gay conservative and his partner is black sooooooo there goes that argument. Research the guy. He's a provocateur and damn good about standing up for freedom of speech. His arguments are based on statistical fact and he's a damn fine journalist. He's not even close to racist. It's the easiest card for the left to pull though.

The one thing that most non-internet savvy individuals don't understand are the trolls. You react openly after being "attacked," you're only going to open the door for more trolls. Yes, most of these people literally have nothing else better to do with their time than to post all day long to get you to respond for "the LOLs," so they will say pretty much anything to get that response.

Have you ever been trolled because of the colour of your skin and choice of dayjob? Excusing what these people are doing goes way beyond 'SJW'/Nerd debate into hate speech, and it has absoluteley no place here. I find it totally disgusting that long-time RPF members are supporting this crap.

Have you ever been trolled because of the colour of your skin and choice of dayjob? Excusing what these people are doing goes way beyond 'SJW'/Nerd debate into hate speech, and it has absoluteley no place here. I find it totally disgusting that long-time RPF members are supporting this crap.

No, I am not supporting it, I'm explaining it to you how this works. And yes, I've been called, accused and everything under the sun for being a "white boy," when I am in fact Hispanic.

What's that? I'm also in the military? Ever been called a "baby killer" at an airport while trying to eat a muffin between your flights?

Yea, don't assume things about anyone

Ohhh bullcrap. Are you one of those whiny college kids who needs safe spaces??
Oh, you mean like the block-happy GB16 main detractor posting in this thread?

Milo has done soo much for free speech in this PC destroying country than any politician in the last decade. People are waking up in droves. I'm a HUGE @Nero fan. Words hurt you if you choose to let them. Like it or not.. He stands for free speech and if anyone bothers to watch his talks he gives everyone a platform as long as it is civil and not this fake protest garbage these weak minded millennials think is progressive. And for the record, to quote the great @Nero himself.. "feminism is cancer, thank you very much" :lol
I'm not familiar with this Nero person, but after being caught inciting mass racial hate towards Jones on Twitter, he sounds like one step below Westboro.

So you are dismissing the incitement of racial hate against an individual a 'wrongthink' ? And then victim shaming that individual? Yes you should be banned.
I was a bit dumbfounded, myself.

WAIT A MINUTE-- if Sony is using hate as a marketing tool, that means Nero might be a Sony shill! SONY SHIIIIIIIIIILL!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back