1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Soon, it will be a fully enclosed space, filled with magic and lights and the smell of hotdogs with extra onions! Perfect!!

Hi Gang,

Time for an early morning update!

It was time to finally add some paint to the foot well greeblie panel!
20161130_060150_zpsrdtyduvl.jpg

20161130_060204_zpswffkne6a.jpg

All painted! Need to weather the silver panel, add some pin stripes and the faux vent up top and this panel is finished!
20161203_080513_zpslcrtkrbu.jpg

If any of you work with MDF then most of you know how soft the edges can be after cutting. A buddy of mine told me that plain white Elmers glue, when applied to the edges, seals and hardens those edges, keeps it from feathering and is both sandable and paintable... Good to Know!
20161203_101128_zpsv3ti34zb.jpg

All of the edges were treated
20161203_101134_zpsafkpnjsi.jpg

20161203_101140_zpsonptjr42.jpg

20161203_101151_zps1jqsru10.jpg

Lots of sealing, sanding and priming...
20161203_101117_zpsceqdrcbb.jpg

20161203_111837_zpsoddzl5xp.jpg

20161203_111845_zpsuwebk4ct.jpg

20161203_164645_zpsslbrnyll.jpg

I added the first layer of black to the Volvo Panels. They will still be sanded... of course
20161203_160113_zpsejxibtms.jpg

20161203_160122_zpskqkjp5i9.jpg

In place
20161203_160426_zpsm7ogxq9t.jpg

20161203_160433_zps8tllyqfu.jpg

20161203_164718_zpsdnqb0dok.jpg

20161203_164727_zpspey43z96.jpg

I also primed the exterior skin with a primer / sealer
20161203_164830_zpsdxcaquhb.jpg

20161203_164839_zpsnfqjj0lu.jpg

20161203_164846_zpsinbihlpw.jpg

20161203_165043_zpsksfskljz.jpg

20161203_165050_zpsxmwilbvo.jpg

20161203_165057_zpsgtr5xlaq.jpg

These panel are begging for some pin stripes and greeblies!
20161203_165118_zpsj1hvpgda.jpg

I then turned my attention to the corridor walls and created mounting points
20161204_095250_zpsfmgk8hrj.jpg

20161204_095254_zpsysehwg2n.jpg

Each side got a bolt and "T" Nut to make assembly quick and easy
20161204_101651_zps11mezf15.jpg

Screws are used to keep the "T" Nut in place and wont pop out
20161204_101655_zps0ndhofob.jpg

20161204_101703_zpscb856gv1.jpg

I then laser cut these thin strips of 1/8" MDF
20161204_104932_zpsm0pi2znd.jpg

Added them to the interior to level out the cross beams
20161204_105721_zps7f30xzb5.jpg

Perfect!
20161204_105726_zpsijqfkucu.jpg

Same for the lower area
20161204_122750_zpsrqsr2dty.jpg

20161204_122756_zpsq7q2ruef.jpg

Once the mounting points were added it was time to add the interior skin!
20161204_122806_zpsnontopig.jpg

As you can see without those thin strips the skin would not be level
20161204_122815_zpsqcze3drr.jpg

Added Elmers
20161204_125149_zpstnutksou.jpg

Looking at the top
20161204_125159_zps3pti1hag.jpg

No rain for 70+ days and its been raining ever since...
20161204_125206_zpscyfnxcgc.jpg

Han's side in place
20161204_125456_zps75ga3zoj.jpg

20161204_125526_zpsl10vqlp8.jpg

Both sides!
20161204_161723_zpsrn0kxalv.jpg

20161204_161736_zpsiduvxnl1.jpg

I then added a second coat of primer to the exterior
20161204_172338_zpsx85qprhe.jpg

20161204_172351_zps0kqp3kyp.jpg

The nose needs to come apart and tilted so I can paint the entire underside
20161204_172403_zps1yhkdqun.jpg

And this is where are!
20161204_172415_zpsmy16mbli.jpg

More to Follow!

Last edited:
Don't know how you do it Sofa...the amount of work is staggering and the result really shows how dedication, hard work and passion can produce such iconic set:cool
You' re an example to follow, that's for sure!!

Don't know how you do it Sofa...the amount of work is staggering and the result really shows how dedication, hard work and passion can produce such iconic set:cool
You' re an example to follow, that's for sure!!

Very kind words. Thank you, my friend!

I go through peaks and valleys. Right now I'm peaking mainly because those dreaded Volvo Panels are behind me! :)

Sofa, this is legendary, you know that? This thread is my first stop every morning on the interwebs, and it never ceases to amaze me...and motivate me!

Sofa, this is legendary, you know that? This thread is my first stop every morning on the interwebs, and it never ceases to amaze me...and motivate me!

Hi M,

I don't know... All of you continue to inspire and motivate me so... I'm just trying to finish it up so we can start Ver 2! Thanks so much for the kind words and continued support! Let's hope for a productive and exciting next couple of months! :)

Hi M,

I don't know... All of you continue to inspire and motivate me so... I'm just trying to finish it up so we can start Ver 2! Thanks so much for the kind words and continued support! Let's hope for a productive and exciting next couple of months! :)

Version2??????:eek

Amazing work, SofaKing! It seems you've cracked curved wall making effectively!

I have a suggestion: The floor grating along the wall in the corridor is going to be subject to a bit of natural wear (people stepping on it). Presumably the grating is supposed to be metal. Would it be an idea to cut similar grates in thin aluminium plate and glue it to the MDF structure? That way, when the paint start to chip naturally, it will pick up the proper weathering all on its own, and not need repaint/replacing after every show?

Amazing work, SofaKing! It seems you've cracked curved wall making effectively!

I have a suggestion: The floor grating along the wall in the corridor is going to be subject to a bit of natural wear (people stepping on it). Presumably the grating is supposed to be metal. Would it be an idea to cut similar grates in thin aluminium plate and glue it to the MDF structure? That way, when the paint start to chip naturally, it will pick up the proper weathering all on its own, and not need repaint/replacing after every show?

Hey FF,

Thanks! Straight curved walls... pretty easy. Conical shapes... UGH... ;)

The MDF grates I laser cut are nothing more than placeholders to give me an idea of how they will look in place. I think CNCing the grates aluminum is a "grate" idea! I had originally thought of CNCing 3/4" furniture grade ply with a black formica overlay (similar to the corridor floor) but I think the aluminum is a MUCH better idea!

Random observations...

Great update!

I wonder what white glue is called in countries where Elmer's isn't a big brand.

I didn't know that about sealing the edges of MDF...good tip.

I notice you have dressed up the transition from the round hull to the platform beneath. That was a good idea.

Those forward shelves are a bit of an optical illusion. From some angles, it's almost impossible to see them as horizontal, rather than sloping towards the ground. :)

These latest shots of the cockpit really show it coming together. It suggests how cool the final product will be.

I don't know what you were planning, but I want to encourage you to eventually put glass in the windows. I know it's often left out for film sets because of reflections and other issues, but I think it will sell the look if you include them.

Seeing all the work you've done on the lower hull panels, how on earth are you going to tackle the upper panels? Access seems so difficult.

I've never seen those T Nuts before. What exactly do they do?

great update, you're really tackling this entrance corridor quicly. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I dont feel like searching through 330+ pages, but what do you do for a living? Because if you don't already work in set building for hollywood and think about a new career, this would make a nice portfolio piece :)

Sofa is the bada** large scale builder we all wish we were.

Keep it up brother!!

Alex

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Hi A,

Thanks so much, my friend! I'll take take that title! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Soon, it will be a fully enclosed space, filled with magic and lights and the smell of hotdogs with extra onions! Perfect!!

Hey Hey W! It's going to be such a milestone once we get the exterior skin wrapped ALL the way around... I prefer pizza or a cheeseburger. Will that work? ;)

Random observations...

Great update!

I wonder what white glue is called in countries where Elmer's isn't a big brand.

I didn't know that about sealing the edges of MDF...good tip.

I notice you have dressed up the transition from the round hull to the platform beneath. That was a good idea.

Those forward shelves are a bit of an optical illusion. From some angles, it's almost impossible to see them as horizontal, rather than sloping towards the ground. :)

These latest shots of the cockpit really show it coming together. It suggests how cool the final product will be.

I don't know what you were planning, but I want to encourage you to eventually put glass in the windows. I know it's often left out for film sets because of reflections and other issues, but I think it will sell the look if you include them.

Seeing all the work you've done on the lower hull panels, how on earth are you going to tackle the upper panels? Access seems so difficult.

I've never seen those T Nuts before. What exactly do they do?

Hey Lt W,

Thanks so much! I think its safe to say that whatever regular white glue used in grade schools or arts and crafts is pretty close to Elmers. I asked if wood glue could be used and my buddy said the Elmers works better because it was able to penetrate the MDF better than the thicker wood glue(s). I'll be sanding the edges within the next couple of days so we'll see how the edges hold up.

The transition from platform(s) to hull will be covered with a table skirt. I gave serious thought to create the entire cockpit but thought it better to simply cut it off at the floor.

The entire nose, shelves and Volvo Panels are a serious optical tease! All the competing angles make it very difficult to figure out what you're looking at for the very first time.

Once I added the primer to the outer skin, I could finally see everything being pulled together!

We've discussed putting plexi into the canopy. The only issue is that most shows/conventions are VERY crowded and with the lights the heat becomes an issue. We would have to install a serious ventilation system helping move the air. Even with the canopy in place and w/o windows you would be very surprised how hot the cockpit can get. But... it's not out of the question. :)

The upper panels will be done in 3 or 4 sections and created using a steel frame covered with MDF. The frame pieces will fit together using a "Male / Female" style connector and then hover just above the body panels. The biggest challenge will be getting everything aligned, canopy, nose, exterior skin, etc, so it appears as one solid piece and not some jumbled mess.

The "T" Nut takes the place of an actual nut and stays in place making assembly / disassembly quick and easy. You no longer have to hold a wrench in both hands... you simply screw the bolt into place. The smaller screws on either side keep the "T" from spinning loose or falling out.

Hope all that made sense? :)

Last edited:
great update, you're really tackling this entrance corridor quicly. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I dont feel like searching through 330+ pages, but what do you do for a living? Because if you don't already work in set building for hollywood and think about a new career, this would make a nice portfolio piece :)

Hi OC,

Thanks! Having built a LOT of forts and skateboard ramps as a kid and all the home DIY done as an adult, I didn't think the corridor walls would be too difficult. Once I was able to route the 4 side pieces, the rest of the corridor panel build went fairly quickly.

I'm a graphic artist during my downtime ;) You should see the number of concept sketches I've done for all the greeblies, panels and various parts of the build. Working in Hollywood would be a blast! And with all the new SW films coming out... Can you imagine being part of the team that works on all those props? That would be a dream. But, this is just a hobby.

Thanks for the kind words!

Hey Sofa,

Hi OC,
I'm a graphic artist during my downtime ;) You should see the number of concept sketches I've done for all the greeblies, panels and various parts of the build.

You just know we're all going to say "Yes Please", to that offer don't you (as and when you ever get the time of course):lol.

Roughneckone :cool

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back