Walking Dead - Daryl Dixon's New Bike Replica Build

My setup has the xs650 tank, 20mm risers, fat bars, standard forks, and the tank fits into the old cb750 tank bracket. Mods to the frame to convert it to cups instead of the lugs (in frame) I did not have to do any adjustments to the steering lock and it fits like a glove. Didn't have to do too much to get it to fit. I think my xs650 tank is slightly newer than the ones used on the thread, it's a bit longer and cap filler is to the right instead of middle. Looks good though.

The one with the tape I believe is the suction side for the stock fuel valve diaphragm.. I capped mine off with a small bolt and zip strip..

the other hoses I can see in the pic are the vacuum lines.. there is a black T that goes in there.. one line from the head to the T, the other leg down to the lower gear case.. that smaller line just need to rig up some sort of filter so it doesn't allow crankcase pressure to build up.. I made that mistake of not including the filtered leg and had an oil sprinkler for a couple of days.. oil was coming out of everywhere lol

I ended up taping most of the electrical connections up to main harness and the vacuum line together to run right up between the breathers on the carb.. take your time and take off all the other stock wrapping and re-wrap them it'll be less bulky.

think I got it all sorted. Made the mistake of just putting a mini kn on the vent of the valve cover.... Im gonna add a longer hose from the valve cover and have it vent behind me... right now I'm getting all kinds of fumes when riding. Appreciate the help guys.

Progress and some new to me reference shots

While doing the wiring, the ignition module just didn't look right. The harness comes off the bottom and the wiring wraps back up to the center of the frame. It just looked messy, and the horn didn't fit in the spot where it should, there just wasn't enough room. So I went through the build video again and noticed that they actually mounted the ignition box sideways. This solved the messiness and the horn issue in one go. You can also see the tank mounting cups in these shots as well.

Horn_cup_ign%20Ref.jpg

So I drilled and tapped the frame in what looked like the right spot.

20161002_204843.jpg

20161002_204506.jpg

Thanks for that, really helps. Not quite ready to get the carbs back on yet. Still fighting with the welding and grinding....... lots to be done!

IMG_0216.JPGIMG_0218.JPGDid a bit more to mine yesterday. Got the headlight mounted and looking better than my first attempt. I saw from both previous posts that you had to re-mount the rear tank mounting hole. Mine fits perfectly into the existing frame bracket so I think my tank may be longer. Got to shorten my rear hoop now too to get my new seat to fit. Raining here today so might start in the week. Has anyone got to finishing theirs yet. Mines taking longer than I thought lol. Love tinkering though.

Still haven't gotten the bag done just yet.. hopefully this week..
14600881_10207488903640951_6386434763188841423_n.jpg14642184_10207509530796617_9062116949838811156_n.jpg
renderr.JPGsdfd.JPG

Been working on renders for the trike and the new CB1100 builds :)
trike.PNGrender.PNG

Last edited:
View attachment 673385View attachment 673386Did a bit more to mine yesterday. Got the headlight mounted and looking better than my first attempt. I saw from both previous posts that you had to re-mount the rear tank mounting hole. Mine fits perfectly into the existing frame bracket so I think my tank may be longer. Got to shorten my rear hoop now too to get my new seat to fit. Raining here today so might start in the week. Has anyone got to finishing theirs yet. Mines taking longer than I thought lol. Love tinkering though.

What year model tank did you get? Looks great!

Hi, it's the XS650 tank, not sure exactly what year though as it's slightly different from the ones these guys have used on their builds. It may be later as it has the petrol cap off centre to the right hand side. It also fits into the old tank mount and clears the frame without having to re-work it to fit. So all in all I'm happy. Can't wait now to get the frame and wheels coated

Hey guys, I'm having trouble with my petcocks. (Yes I've been told that natural yoghurt will clear it up in no time) haha, the tank I bought supplied 1 petcock and a blank plate... does anyone know if the tank will run with one? Also does anyone have a good photo of the petcock hose to carb set up? As I have no idea which ones go where. Any help would be much appreciated

Hola Seany, the dual petcocks have different spacing between the mounting holes, (believe early ones were 42.5 and later ones are 45) https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-petcock-oem-type-non-vacuum-rh-oem-447-24510-02.html easy enough to measure yours if you go to second petcock.

The lines from each petcock basically get fed to a T that goes to the main fuel rail directly in the middle of the carbs.

In theory a single should work but it's simply dynamics.. it's gravity feed system so its possible at highway speeds you'd suck the carbs dry if the single line cant keep up. That'd be a see if it works kinda thing.. the dual feed lines on my setup are smaller ID off of the petcocks and where they meet at the T and that leg to the fuel rail is little larger..

Might be okay but if not, you need either a single vacuum or get a second manual one and plumb it in.

EDIT Just realized you're using a later tank.. did that have a vacuum petcock on it? if so you're probably fine.. a single with vacuum should work no issues.

There is a mostly complete one a few pages back that i posted. It contains all major components of the build.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Still haven't gotten the bag done just yet.. hopefully this week..
View attachment 674469View attachment 674470
View attachment 674471View attachment 674475

Been working on renders for the trike and the new CB1100 builds :)
View attachment 674472View attachment 674473

You posting your progress on any threads Ragtop? Love to see what you got going on with the new builds.

There is a mostly complete one a few pages back that i posted. It contains all major components of the build.

Any updates?? Kinda bummed this thread isn't getting much action lately...

I honestly havnt been in the shop in forever. The holidays and family are taking priority right now. I did manage to get a few hours in the other day making up the battery cable bracket and tidying up the wiring harness though. Ive got some time off coming up and hope to barrel through some work.

I honestly havnt been in the shop in forever. The holidays and family are taking priority right now. I did manage to get a few hours in the other day making up the battery cable bracket and tidying up the wiring harness though. Ive got some time off coming up and hope to barrel through some work.

Family first! If you get a chance could you post a pic of the battery cable bracket? I got my battery mounted in the swing arm but the battery cable box is not anchored down to anything but stays in place for the most part.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back