DL-44 Dark Energy creations scope insert

Flyscriber

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
HI all, I though this was interesting, and I haven't seen this conversion on the RPF before so I thought I would share what I found.
Ive just started sorting out my DEC D-44 baster for weathering etc, and as I sorted through all the old parts I have in my boxes I came across a 4X20 super cheap scope off ebay.
I just happened to strip it down to see if the lenses fitted into the DEC parts. So I tried it inside the DEC DL-44 scope tube and guess what, It fits perfectly with a little resistance to keep it secure..
So I cut off the open end (the end without the cross hairs) leaving just enough length to sandwich a convex lens I found in my bin between the brass ring and the now cut 4x20 scope tube. I think the small lens was from another scope, but I cant name it sorry about that.
I pushed the tube into the DEC outer so the cross hairs were straight.
On the large end, I found the lens from an old 8mm video camera snapped into the brass ring with a lovely click, so no glue needed there.
I then adjusted the position of the internal 4x20 tube to make the cross hairs in focus with the new video camera lens.
And voila! a working scope, albeit a reducing image !! but it looks great. The cross hairs aren't right internally and I may address those with the three markers on the original, but its a million times more convincing now.
I needed to reduce the length of one of the fixing screws for the scope dial so it didn't clash with the insert tube, but that's all the modification to the DEC parts, which means its a non invasive upgrade and can be removed and tweaked anytime. Beware not to use much glue on the brass end caps, as this will make it harder to retro modify in future, and also keep the glue to the very edge lip on the brass inserts as the fumes can fog the lenses quite badly. Just glue on end at a time and leave the scope open to breath while the glue cures.

Anyhow, I don't know if this will be of interest, but I thought it was a cheap and easy way to make the lovey DEC parts a bit more special.

Thanks all
ap blaster scope insert 1.jpgap blaster scope insert 2.jpgap blaster scope insert 3.jpg

That is just ubercool , i need to do this conversion when my DEC scope arrives , do you have the make and type of scope you cannibalised for this conversion ?

The scope is a SMK 4x20 Fixed Power Air Rifle Scope, about £20 or less on ebay, mine came to £9 delivered in the uk, if you get them from china they are about £4. !!!
The large end lens (fitted into the DEC brass fitting was from a hi 8mm Panasonic video camera with night vision. I've had it for years and it stopped working, so it got butchered.
I think you should be able to find them very cheap on ebay as well, I have found a couple at £15 but it now. I will try to get the camera number from the pile of bits I have here and post it later on today.

The scope is a SMK 4x20 Fixed Power Air Rifle Scope, about £20 or less on ebay, mine came to £9 delivered in the uk, if you get them from china they are about £4. !!!
The large end lens fitted into the DEC brass fitting was from a hi 8mm Panasonic video camera with night vision. I've had it for years and it stopped working, so it got butchered.I think you should be able to find them very cheap on ebay as well, I have found a couple at £15 but it now. I will try to get the camera number;from the pile of bits I have here and post it later on today.

The large end lens fitted into the DEC brass fitting was from a hi 8mm Panasonic video camera with night vision. I've had it for years and it stopped working, so it got butchered.I think you should be able to find them very cheap on ebay as well, I have found a couple at £15 but it now. I will try to get the camera number;from the pile of bits I have here and post it later on today.

Thanks man , just ordered two , 42$ including shipping to norway .
the large lens , is that a magnifying lens ? And do you have the diameter of it ?

The large end lens is from a
Panasonic NV-DS15...400x digital zoom..20x optical zoom.
As for the diameter I'm not sure, I will need to measure the existing clear lens off the DEC kit. Ill do this next time I'm in the workshop.

Hope this helps out. :)

This is awesome, I've been working on this on and off for a few months and haven't gotten too far. I've used scope parts and projectors, never thought of a video recorder!

The DEC size should be written on the envelope it comes in. If no one has it I have one someone Ill post.

I just had a though that the ID of the DEC scope tube may vary a little. I would imagine they are CNC'D so they should be consistent as the small lens needs to fit.
I will measure the OD of the 4x20 scope tube as a reference so you can check yours before ordering a 4x20 scope. Ill post this info tomorrow.
Hope it fits Emokid. :)

I've just measured the OD of the 4x20 scope central tube and it comes to exactly 19mm or 0.748 inches
The two packs of low dome watch crystal lenses, which come with the kit are as follows:-
The larger one is listed as LMG 25.1mm diameter
The smaller one is LMG16mm diameter. Which I believe snaps into a recess in the brass end cap. The lens I used is 19mm diameter and fits between the inside edge of the brass end cap and the cut end of the 4x20 scope tube. I guess if you can find a nice convex lens with 16mm diameter that it will snap into he brass end cap in the same way. So there's a little variation possible in the smaller lens size.
I would recommend that you check the shoulder diameters (where the lens fits) on the brass inserts of your kit, and the internal diameter of the DEC scope tube just to be on the safe side.
There are many convex lenses available on ebay with these diameters for very good prices. although if you strip a Panasonic video camera you will have a shed load of parts for scratch building, If that's your thing. Happy hunting :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back