Finishing foam to imitate rubber and leather

alanisfuzzy

I'm planning to use foam to create two separate pieces for the same costume: rubber tire armor, and a leather belt. I've been researching how to finish the foam, but I've found a lot of contradictory advice, and all of it is for costumes that are imitating metal or plastic. Metal and plastic are much glossier than rubber or leather, so I'm guessing I might need to use different methods (or could leave out some of the steps) than for metal/plastic finishes. This is what I'm working on:

Rubber tire armor: Using 10mm foam. Needs to be matte but smooth in most places. Can be rigid. I'll need to drill a metal screw through it to hold the two pieces together. May need to be painted to make the black look more like very dark gray, like a real used tire (if I don't end up painting it, does it even need to be sealed and finished at all?).

Leather belt: Using 2mm foam. I'll iron it under crunched up foil to create the leather texture. Should have the slight glossiness of worn leather, but could be matte if necessary. Needs to be very flexible. Will definitely need to be painted to give it a mottled color. I'll also need to glue multiple pieces of foam together to create the grid effect, and may glue the whole thing to fabric as well.

Does anyone know what materials (paint, sealant, adhesive) and steps I should use to achieve a rubber and leather effect? I would prefer not to use extremely toxic materials, as my options for working outdoors are limited. I'm planning to use black EVA foam in different thicknesses for both items, but I haven't bought it yet so I'm open to other types of foam if those would work better.

Thanks!

Regarding leather, I saw one person get really good results by starting with a brown craft foam (you could use black if you prefer) and then using a brown shoe polish to coat it. The finished result had a very authentic sheen.

For leather-like appearance, take some tinfoil and crumple it up. Open it back up and flatten it against the leather and iron it for a few seconds using pressure. When you remove it, it will have the texture you want.

Regarding leather, I saw one person get really good results by starting with a brown craft foam (you could use black if you prefer) and then using a brown shoe polish to coat it. The finished result had a very authentic sheen.

Thanks! Do you know if they covered the shoe polish with anything? I'm thinking it must rub off on clothes if it's not sealed?

For leather-like appearance, take some tinfoil and crumple it up. Open it back up and flatten it against the leather and iron it for a few seconds using pressure. When you remove it, it will have the texture you want.

Yep, planning on that! Just not sure how to paint/seal it after it's been ironed and formed.

Thank you, super helpful! The first video is exactly the coloring and texture I'm looking for. Seems like regular acrylic paint will work. One video didn't seal the paint at all, one video sealed it with diluted PVA glue. Does anyone know what's better? Is sealant even necessary if I don't need the piece to be glossy?

You could always seal it with some matte finish spray varnish. It wont be shiny and you wouldn't have to worry about it rubbing off.

Unsure about that. Have only put it on worbla so don't know about the flexibility. I think I have heard/seen some people do a coat of modge podge as their finishing coat which may be flexible. But if it flexes too much you will start seeing wrinkles and have the paint possibly start to peel.

I show my steps for how I painted the foam to mimic leather in my Warcraft Orc build feel free to check it out here http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=251849&page=10

leather2.jpg

Found the original video I was talking about!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IZSr2CZRp4

After shoe polish, seal with varnish. And this video also covers how to achieve a tooled effect. Pretty cool stuff.

Thanks! This is really helpful. Might end up going in the shoe polish direction for the leather since it seems so easy to use just one coat of shoe polish and some varnish, compared to some of the more complex glue/paint/glue/paint layering techniques.

I show my steps for how I painted the foam to mimic leather in my Warcraft Orc build feel free to check it out here http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=251849&page=10

View attachment 618661

This looks great! I love the depth of color you got, and the stitching. Since it seems like you have experience with a lot of different tools, do you have any recommendations for the best way to create the treads in my tire armor? They're deep, fairly clean cuts that should have the same texture as the surface:

tumblr_nw2we1mH0M1sxgepzo2_1280.jpg

In my opinion it would be best to cut out a tread pattern and attach it to the surface of your foam to mimic the tire look rather than trying to cut it into the 10mm and have it come out perfect. But I will say if you could get some actual tires and strip out the inside to just the rubber sole that might not be a bad way to go.

In my opinion it would be best to cut out a tread pattern and attach it to the surface of your foam to mimic the tire look rather than trying to cut it into the 10mm and have it come out perfect. But I will say if you could get some actual tires and strip out the inside to just the rubber sole that might not be a bad way to go.

I looked into using a real tire, but all the advice I could find online suggested I'd need some serious industrial equipment to cut through the steel bands in a tire. This is the tire the original costume uses. Do you think it's possible to cut with something basic like bolt cutters? I'm fairly strong for a 125-pound woman, but still...

What do you think about heating some sort of metal (or ceramic?) object and using it to stamp the treads into the foam?

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited:
Yeah if you had the ability to brand the design into the material that would be really great! Just be sure to wear a respirator the fumes are really really bad for you

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back