Roddenberry Prop Announcements at Star Trek Las Vegas 2014

Are you kidding? The forthcoming Roddenberry TOS Phaser will be accurate to the Jein Phaser, have all the hero features of the original and Master Replica type electronics.

I'm also buying the Wand Company Phaser too. My holy grail would be an exact to the Jein "hero" phaser inside and out. I have the JLong P1 and that's a real great replica.

Yeah, I love TOS Phasers that much.

Last edited:
OK -- now that the 2014 Vegas Trek Convention is (barely) in the rear-view mirror, here are some details on the new Roddenberry Phaser Project -- which is not the same as The Wand Company phaser (which is also based on the G. Jein hero Phaser 2) -- as well as other props in the "Roddenberry Legacy Series" of new props. Think Master Replicas-type quality:

The Batleth sword is the first of the "Roddenberry Legacy" series of props. They ARE still working on a TOS Communicator (yes, it's a long-time coming) and are also working on a companion TOS Phaser that's been modeled on the Greg Jein hero.

Almost everything that's electronic -- from the least expensive USB phone charger that sells for a couple of bucks to giant HDTV sets is now made in China. For better or worse, it's the way of the world. With the Legacy Series, Rodd's group is trying to address ongoing demand for high-quality props but also MAINTAIN INVENTORY TO SELL -- a tough problem in the one-at-a-time world of prop recreations. In the past, they would order up a dozen or more piece and these would sell out immediately.

Having waited almost a year for fulfillment of a TOS Phaser Rifle, there's a limit to patience. Indeed, there is a missed opportunity by having a great product with no inventory to sell.

HMS built the painstaking copy of the Jein phaser that Rodd is now working to source from a Chinese factory that is skilled in building replicas (not unlike what Master Replicas did for their incredible recreations.) Rodd is trying to hit a "sweet spot" of an affordable price and pair that with a beautiful presentation -- nice box, nice pack-in information about the prop, etc. I saw the HMS Phaser 2 piece in Vegas, which was being kept under wraps. It is beautifully done -- with the twist-lock handle for batteries, removable P1, push-out emitter when P1 is inserted, lights, sound, etc. If the mass production version is anything like this prototype, then we're in for a treat!

I don't know enough about the Batleth to address its shortcomings, which have already been discussed on the board. I'm also not a TNG collector, but Rodd was showing the new Mark IX tricorder that will begin shipping in October. From its brushed aluminum and acrylic base to the included belt clip carrying case, it's a beautiful piece that is appropriately heavy and lights up when opened. It looks, well, "real."

Someone on another board suggested that there is flourishing community of artists who can build a perfect replica -- if you are willing to spend the money and wait for it. Thankfully, that remains true. But another option is eventually coming with the "Legacy Series" lineup.

Here's a link to a short video showing the MarkIX Tricorder (available October) in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImbPc5fL2LM&feature=youtu.be

- - - Updated - - -

I held the prototype (from HMS) in my hands and saw how it disassembled -- just like the Master Replicas. The "push out the emitter" feature is a nice addition.

I don't know what sort of electronics package the finished piece will have, but clearly Rodd.com is aiming at something cheaper than $500 but more than the $150 that The Wand Company will charge for their beautiful TV remote.

I'd heard the Roddenberry TOS Phaser was going to be more like the actual Jein Phaser studio prop with lights, but no sounds. Some of the body distortion cleaned up and some of the inside components slightly modified to wear better. but, inside and out it's supposed to be like the Jein Phaser.

They (HMS Studios) started with actual molds off the Jein Phaser as a base. It took Mike Moore about 2 months to create this exacting prototype which will be provided to the overseas production for reference.

If made like the studio prop with lights and no sound, this will end my journey for the best Phaser replica. If they hit the $500 dollar mark or under I'm buying multiples of them.

Last edited:
BigBadToyStore.com has the Mark IX Tricorder up for pre-sale.
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=ROD10193&mode=retail

And at EntertainmentEarth.com.
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RBRLS001#.U-LHHFZOj7Q

ROD10193.jpg

Last edited:
The only reason I'm getting the tricorder is they state it will have opening and closing ratcheting sounds besides the rest. I had the efx #405 and sold it but kept the holder, it was heavy,clunky and only had the open ratchet sound + the rest, besides this is the 2nd time Rod.com has released a preorder, the 1st 1s I don't think they ever delivered and that was years ago and it was $999 back then. I do have the feeling it will be produced by the same company over seas as the MR/Efx 1s were made at, but we shall see ...... I still have to assemble my Stapleton/GMprops MK IX kit from over 7 years ago , hmmm lets see if I can make that 1 before Oct and see which is better......... :popcorn

Thats strange, the eFx Tric has the opening and closing ratchet sounds, was yours malfunctioning?

I had the efx #405 and sold it but kept the holder, it was heavy,clunky and only had the open ratchet sound + the rest, besides this is the 2nd time Rod.com has released a preorder, the 1st 1s I don't think they ever delivered and that was years ago and it was $999 back then. I do have the feeling it will be produced by the same company over seas as the MR/Efx 1s were made at, but we shall see ...... I still have to assemble my Stapleton/GMprops MK IX kit from over 7 years ago , hmmm lets see if I can make that 1 before Oct and see which is better......... :popcorn

Thats strange, the eFx Tric has the opening and closing ratchet sounds, was yours malfunctioning?
Apollo, no it worked fine, what I meant was that the closing ratchet sound happened more or less when it was completely closed, the closing ratchet sound should start as soon as you start to close it, both the MR and the Efx made the sound when it was closed as opposed to ratchet as you are closing it. I hope that kinda straightens out my comment. The Stapleton/GMprop setup has the correct sequencing , you start to open the door and you get the ratchet and as soon as you start to close the door you get the ratchet sound again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the MR and eFx Trics had that problem.

We will see about Rodd's but I am pretty sure it is nothing more than a re-pop, something fast and easy to get the cash coming in

@Apollo, no it worked fine, what I meant was that the closing ratchet sound happened more or less when it was completely closed, the closing ratchet sound should start as soon as you start to close it, both the MR and the Efx made the sound when it was closed as opposed to ratchet as you are closing it. I hope that kinda straightens out my comment. The Stapleton/GMprop setup has the correct sequencing , you start to open the door and you get the ratchet and as soon as you start to close the door you get the ratchet sound again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the MR and eFx Trics had that problem.

We will see about Rodd's but I am pretty sure it is nothing more than a re-pop, something fast and easy to get the cash coming in

and that is what I am figuring they are going to do...... Just making it more correct with the actual closing movement will be a great improvement, like I said we shall have to wait and see. Too bad AA/DS didn't get involved in making 1.. I just wonder how hard it would be to add 1 more reed switch and magnet setup for the closing ratchet sound .

The Master Replicas TOS Phaser still sells on eBay for $1000+. And those fragile finicky phasers have been passed around more than a cheap date on prom night, so who knows what a buyer ends up with.

That's a great way of putting it red. I sold my Shatner signature phaser a long time ago, not only was I unhappy with the design mistakes, but I couldn't stand that wonky handle. I like to handle my props, and I was afraid it was going to break eventually.

Thanks for all the Rod.com info!! I am so looking forward to their phaser.

I'm happy they are releasing another MK IV trcorder. times were a bit tough last lyear and had to sell my EFX. Didn't really care about the Spinner sig so this will fit the bill nicely. Went ahead and preordered from Earth Ent. Can't wait to see all the upcoming stuff.

Are these limited runs or ongoing stock items?

Has anyone bought/received the tric yet? Rod.com shows them "in stock" now. How does it compare to the EFX version and other previous editions?

Supposedly ongoing stock items and no these supposedly have not come out yet.

Still says pre-order oct 2014

So I just recieved my Roddenberry 2370's combadge... What a rip guess I should of read it better. The badge is to small... What one gotta do to get a screen accurate piece? Do any of you guys know who makes them? Where to buy them?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back