1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

I see an Arduino there. You must be planning some advanced light patterns. I just got an Arduino for Xmas. No time to use it though.

Hey DJ,

OH YES... Each panel is going to mimic what we see on screen. Then we're going to add a few surprises to include sound... Right now we're focusing on the new center console. It's going to be FUN!

Hi Gang,

Great News! Although still in a holding pattern for the workspace... I've signed up with Mind Gear Labs and now have FULL access to all the their equipment! Work has already begun on both 3D and 2D modeling, laser cutting and of course the CNC! We're gearing up and couldn't be more excited... Even better, Starkiller just forwarded the 3D model of the cockpit corridor (think about it) ;)

Stay Tuned!

Last edited:
I'm really interested in hearing how you like mind lab. I've been considering a membership at Makerspace.

Last edited:
Hi Gang,

Work has officially begun! One of our newest members, Mike from Mind Gear, CNCd a screen accurate Mitchell Matte Box (center console view screen). It looks awesome! There is still a lot of work to do - filling, sanding, etc. to make it look perfect but it's already better than the ugly one I created... I also took pics of the workspace and a few other goodies...

Unfortunately, Photobucket is down for maintenance so I will post pics as soon as the site is up and running. grrrrr

Stay Tuned!

Awesome, I can't wait to see that corridor :)

Hi C,

Me too! We were discussing how far back to go with it and then of course the topic quickly turned to transporting the beast. That asside, construction should be relatively easy. The walls are primarily padding, lights and then the floor. But that's a lot to haul when we break it down. We're still tossing ideas around - but this project is SO FAR from being over. :)

- - - Updated - - -

You make me dream!

Thanks so much! But don't dream it... Do it! :)

I'm really interested in hearing how you like mind lab. I've been considering a membership at Makerspace.

Hi C,

So far... I love it! I'm probably the dummy of the bunch. lol I'm surrounded by electronics geniuses and engineers... For example, the other night a member brought in his Tesla Gun. YES... a fully working Tesla Gun. Pics Coming! And they are the nicest group of folks I've met. The best part... they are all excited to see pieces of the MF in their lab. My advice, JOIN!

1507698_773506636009983_1788628054_n.jpg

Hi Gang,

As promised...

The CNC machine at Mind Gear Labs - she'll be working overtime!
20140121_163646_zpsf16e9a76.jpg

Laser Cutter
20140121_164713_zps9fbe58c1.jpg

Vinyl Printer
20140121_164733_zps8d30d8c3.jpg

Here is the Tesla Gun!
20140121_183949_zpsa544b8fb.jpg

20140121_184129_zpsbc0ea060.jpg

20140121_184136_zps15a65e88.jpg

20140121_184140_zps84acc612.jpg

Since we're rebuilding these elements of the MF... I thought I would bring them to MGL
20140121_164520_zpsd51d991f.jpg

20140121_210858_zps1dc06c11.jpg

WHOOPS
20140121_210918_zpsbe53d166.jpg

A member building a video game system and keeping the demons out ;)
20140121_211619_zps854ad0b9.jpg

Our future workspace - I HOPE!
20140121_164238_zpsd5679e1d.jpg

20140121_164250_zpsdf02ff9b.jpg

20140121_164255_zpsc4409144.jpg

And last but NOT least... Mike's Matte Box! Needs lots of filler and sanding but she is AWESOME!
20140122_180027_zps4088e567.jpg

20140122_180033_zpsaaa555fa.jpg

20140122_180044_zps87250648.jpg

20140122_180055_zpsb1f620c4.jpg

20140122_180116_zps6b6ea06b.jpg

Stay Tuned!

Fantastic work by all on this thread - very cool, guys!

MGL can't be real - what a dream!

Regarding the tunnel and transporting it, obviously weight savings is a huge bonus. I wonder if it would be worth considering making all those pads inflatable? It could save space when transporting them. A foam skin, to capture the right look, containing internal bladders like a pool float?

(This might be more work than necessary - especially if the pads can be hollow skins that stack into one another for transport, like plastic cups, and hold the proper shape without air bladders when assembled...just thinking out loud)

Hi T,

Oh Yeah! Had I known MGL was in town I would have joined long ago.

If we could get the padding to look just they do on screen using something inflatable... I'm all for it! I'm afraid / convinced they're probably going to fiberglass or foam with a resin coating. We're still tossing different ideas around. The nice thing, once we get the molds done, we'll have them for the rest of the ship.

The cockpit and quad take up most of 1 8x12 trailer. The corridor would probably do the same... Again, tossing ideas around...

[...] I'm probably the dummy of the bunch.
Yeah, whatever :cool
lol I'm surrounded by electronics geniuses and engineers...
Yes, true. But you are the gentle master of passion and dedication, my friend. And a true inspiration for many. In fact I think it is safe to say that you have become a hero for quite a few people around here. I know you have for me.

[...]

If we could get the padding to look just they do on screen using something inflatable... I'm all for it! I'm afraid / convinced they're probably going to fiberglass or foam with a resin coating. We're still tossing different ideas around. The nice thing, once we get the molds done, we'll have them for the rest of the ship.

The cockpit and quad take up most of 1 8x12 trailer. The corridor would probably do the same... Again, tossing ideas around...

Here's a suggestion I posted before the Mythbuster's Show. To save you from having to search the thread, here it is again:

[...]

Your best bet might be building a solid pattern for each of the two pads out of MDF and Bondo. Then you could make molds and cast the pads in a flexible urethane foam that had some white pigment added. Given the masses of pads around the corridors, you could even make two or more identical molds of each pattern. This way you could be casting multiples every time you mix up a batch of foam.

[...]

Perhaps it will help.

Keep up the awesomeness! (y)thumbsup

Rog

Excellent news and pics all round!! Eager to see what will transpire with the new workspace and the pro-machines at your disposal:cool

Yeah, you're right, SofaKing01 - fiberglass is probably the way to go for the pads.
Inflatable pads would require a bit of annoying R&D, and still not be as durable. Plus, airing them up, etc. etc. Probably, not the best route.

Since the pads look like self-skinning poly-foam (like Nerf footballs, etc.) that's what always comes to mind looking at them in the movie, but playing devil's advocate brings up a couple of issues with foam:
1. durability - once it tears, it has a tear until a new one is made.
2. out-gasing, or off-gasing - depending on the materials chosen, foam pads could stink up the tunnel for quite some time
3. deterioration
Even with a thick, flexible skin (latex, etc.) laid in the mold before the foam backing, the pads could still have these issues. (especially, the smells)

At least fiberglass shells can avoid all of these - it's super durable, no out-gasing once cured & painted and relatively no deterioration)
other advantages: Simpler process - They can be churned out more efficiently...paint them to match, and they're relatively worry free. Less weight, too.

Rog, you're right about throwing some pigment into the resin to save time and paint. Plus, any scratches they acquire over time wouldn't show a garish, original-material-color underneath the paint. Again, rather worry free.

Now, we just have to figure out how to get you a big rig to haul everything you fab up in that new work space, ha!

Nice work!

Excellent news and pics all round!! Eager to see what will transpire with the new workspace and the pro-machines at your disposal:cool

Hey Jo,

I'm really excited! I'm hoping to have all the panels cut and ready for the new center console. And with the CNC, all the holes for the LEDs will be at the same time. This work day can't end soon enough!

Yeah, you're right, SofaKing01 - fiberglass is probably the way to go for the pads.
Inflatable pads would require a bit of annoying R&D, and still not be as durable. Plus, airing them up, etc. etc. Probably, not the best route.

Since the pads look like self-skinning poly-foam (like Nerf footballs, etc.) that's what always comes to mind looking at them in the movie, but playing devil's advocate brings up a couple of issues with foam:
1. durability - once it tears, it has a tear until a new one is made.
2. out-gasing, or off-gasing - depending on the materials chosen, foam pads could stink up the tunnel for quite some time
3. deterioration
Even with a thick, flexible skin (latex, etc.) laid in the mold before the foam backing, the pads could still have these issues. (especially, the smells)

At least fiberglass shells can avoid all of these - it's super durable, no out-gasing once cured & painted and relatively no deterioration)
other advantages: Simpler process - They can be churned out more efficiently...paint them to match, and they're relatively worry free. Less weight, too.

Rog, you're right about throwing some pigment into the resin to save time and paint. Plus, any scratches they acquire over time wouldn't show a garish, original-material-color underneath the paint. Again, rather worry free.

Now, we just have to figure out how to get you a big rig to haul everything you fab up in that new work space, ha!

Nice work!

Hey T,

The fiberglass can be abused and tossed around. And being the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy, a little abuse will lend a more authentic look and feel. Of course, getting that first master mold(s) is key. There are several different shapes so we definately have our work cut out for us...

Chris has a large enclosed trailer. I've been looking at purchasing one as well. That will definately eat into the build but I think it'll be a good purchase in the end.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back