My 1/350 TOS Enterprise Build--- WIP

Yes. That's a great resource trooper.

Some others...

Chris Trice's site has some good images of the "restored" Enterprise with the overdone weathering:

Star Trek: NCC1701 "Enterprise"

Here's a good set on Flickr! with some particularly good images of the second pilot version:

Models, Sets, Props, Technicians from Star Trek TOS 35mm single frame film clip restorations - a set on Flickr

This site has a lot of behind-the-scenes historical stuff:

StarTrek History - Behind the Scenes

Here's a posting from the Trek BBS showing all the screen shots of the Enterprise from the original series:

U.S.S. Enterprise, an on-screen reference - The Trek BBS

ive got all those BUT the bbs reference thread ....thank you :) :) nice links
btw, love the spot light idea, im thinking I might steal that one for the 6 footer im doing.

beautiful work :thumbsup

ive got all those BUT the bbs reference thread ....thank you :) :) nice links
btw, love the spot light idea, im thinking I might steal that one for the 6 footer im doing.

beautiful work :thumbsup

Sweet! So you're the one doing the 6 footer?! Ive read your thread on that somewhere. Can you post the link for me? I'd love to see your latest progress. And go ahead and steal my spotlight idea; I'd be honored to think I contributed something to your build.

Thanks for the kind words!

Thanks for the ref sites!! Cant wait to get started...A wee bit afraid as well.

Cameron,

Did you buy any of the accessory kits like the Round 2 lighting or PE sets?
Personally, I recommend the lighting kit from Round 2 as it not only includes the LEDs and motors but clear parts for lighting the bridge and shuttle bay. Also highly reommended is the ParaGrafix PE set which is a must if you buy the lighting kit as it includes brass parts for the bridge and shuttle bay which aid greatly in light blocking. You also get an uber tiny Nomad probe which will eliminate any "errors" it and you may encounter during the course of your built.
And for less than 30 dollars you can buy the Orbital Drydock vinyl paint masks for that authentic painted on look; it also eliminates the problem of decal silvering.

Hey Steve,
I bought the accessory kit and the ParaGrafix. Im thinking about the paint masks but I may try the decals.
A question: Did you fill the grid lines lines in on the saucer section?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Trooper!!!

Hey Steve,
I bought the accessory kit and the ParaGrafix. Im thinking about the paint masks but I may try the decals.
A question: Did you fill the grid lines lines in on the saucer section?

Yes. I used a water-based surface filler called Perfect Plastic Putty. It dries fast, is non-toxic, odorless, and doesn't shrink. The first time I used it I tried to be too neat and the gridlines, although shallower, showed up in primer. I gave the saucer halves a second, thicker application and sanded, sanded, sanded and that did the trick.

Thanks Steve. I overlooked that in this thread. I've never used that product but I ordered one up and I will follow your lead.

Absolutely incredible work Steve. Wow.
I just finished up two more Colonial MKI Vipers so I could start on the old girl myself. Talk about a daunting task. LOL. This will be my largest build ever, by far. I've read and analyzed a few of the 1:350 builds. I don't have a garage or shop to work in, nor all the cool tools, (yet, we're looking for a house), so I need to modify my work load.
I Like your thread the most Steve. Nothing against the others as I'm taking tips and tricks from others as well.
I won't be doing my own thread unless I need help. I've decided to build her as is, basically. The only modifications will be removing the grid lines and just painting her a lightish grey. I just can't get past having a greenish tint. EWWWWW.. I also don't want a lot of weathering. She'll basically be a clean version. I don't see a space ship that spends all of her time in space as having much weathering, since there is no "weather" , per se, in space. LOL

I have an interest in hanging her but don't have any experience with lighting a kit, but will investigate a remote control option.

I have a question for you about the decals though. In your opinion, if I use dulcote after using the decals, do you think it would nullify the silvering?

I doubt silvering can be fixed entirely by applying Dullcote since it's the air bubbles underneath that cause it and they are still there. It will dull the surface reflectance but it won't completely eliminate the silvering.

When I bult my 18 inch Enterprise I used fine sanding films between 2 to 3 coats of paint and then gave her a coat of Glosscote with another fine sanding then another coat of Glosscote before applying the decals. Then I made sure to press them down tight with q-tips and a sponge before brushing them with MicroSet. The next day I sprayed with more Glosscote to seal them followed by Dullcote for a matte finish. They came out looking like they were painted on.

Last edited:
hmm, thats interesting. I have some plastic sheets for vacuforming as well as extra decals, so I just may do a test using your technique. Thanks for the info.

Beautifully done! I'm in awe of this build! I just got one of these and moving past my star wars obsession and had a question. I see from your photos that you are able to display your hanger bay open or closed. I like the mod you did about inserting the cut portion of the closed into the open to have more than one display option. One question. Does your door simply slide in and out, held in by pressure, or did you create some other way to hold it in?

I know this post was from a long time ago (in fact I read it first about 2 years ago when it was hardly new). I finally got around to doing the same thing with my own 1/350 Enterprise which was built with an open shuttle bay, and was very happy with the result. So...belated thanks for the suggestion!

open.jpgclosed.jpg

I wanted the option of showing the bay doors open or closed so I cut out the middle section of bay doors from the "closed" bay door part to use with the "open" door part. The closed door part was thicker than the open door part so I thinned it with my dremel, a seam scraper, and sandpaper before light blocking with black enamel and primer on the inside facing surface. The outside of both parts was painted with my custom hull color mix:

8979843696_017e4f334e_b.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back