The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

Hydrodipped my mrgreene gun handles this weekend!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421677108208.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421677108208.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 169
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421677139550.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421677139550.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 182
Hi guys, just for saying that I finished the cassettes. I decided to work on the design in illustrator and recreate the 2 cassettes seen in the movie :p. I have weathered the vol1 by hand! Let me know what you think :p

http://s1.postimg.org/hxcleozhr/DSC_1585.jpg

http://s1.postimg.org/ikbi47wdr/DSC_1559.jpg

http://s1.postimg.org/rtdoec59r/DSC_1572.jpg

There is no weathering, Emma. That yellowish color you see in some images is due to lighting. The actual on-screen tape label stays white start to finish. You can see it at the start when he first plays the walkman in Morag, when he's clipping it to his belt. And you can see it at the end when "OOH Child" starts to play.

The text on your weathered version is pretty good. I don't remember what the other album looked like off hand.

Check this out for some label references from the published album. The US album label the text is very accurate, the colors are accurate, the only problem is the label is too small. If someone added to the edges so the label was bigger, without stretching the text (text size is good) or anything like that, it would probably be about as close to perfect as possible.

http://www.therpf.com/f78/guardians-galaxy-soundtrack-cassette-229373/

Last edited:
There is no weathering, Emma. That yellowish color you see in some images is due to lighting. The actual on-screen tape label stays white start to finish. You can see it at the start when he first plays the walkman in Morag, when he's clipping it to his belt. And you can see it at the end when "OOH Child" starts to play.

The text on your weathered version is pretty good. I don't remember what the other album looked like off hand.

Check this out for some label references from the published album. The US album label the text is very accurate, the colors are accurate, the only problem is the label is too small. If someone added to the edges so the label was bigger, without stretching the text (text size is good) or anything like that, it would probably be about as close to perfect as possible.

http://www.therpf.com/f78/guardians-galaxy-soundtrack-cassette-229373/

Thanks! I based this version on the OST cover!! I have an extra cding, I'll try to make a white version with a cyan typeface :p

Thanks! I based this version on the OST cover!! I have an extra cding, I'll try to make a white version with a cyan typeface :p

No prob. I did the same thing on my first costume tape. Weathered the label. It wasn't until the Blu-Ray that I was able to confirm the tape label is white since the "OOH Child" scene it's only on screen for like a second or two.

You might be interested in seeing this. The insert from the US cassette album. It has a hand-written song-list.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/broadtime_photo/418456134250

Song order is different than the CD. They switched "I want you back" and "I'm not in love" so they could make the tape as short as possible.

Last edited:
No prob. I did the same thing on my first costume tape. Weathered the label. It wasn't until the Blu-Ray that I was able to confirm the tape label is white since the "OOH Child" scene it's only on screen for like a second or two.

You might be interested in seeing this. The insert from the US cassette album. It has a hand-written song-list.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/broadtime_photo/418456134250

Song order is different than the CD. They switched "I want you back" and "I'm not in love" so they could make the tape as short as possible.

I think the typeface is a bit more cyan than this version... I am not sure I want to make the insert as I don't think there's any in the movie :p But I was trying to figure out a way to order the songs so it can fit the double side. However I am pretty sure there is no side B. The rest of the songs are in Face A of the awesome mix vol. 2 ^^

For those with the original SONY TPS-L2 Walkmans. How are you wearing these with your costume? Would love to clip this to my Star Lord belt and feel safe. But as of current i am using the original open face case vs the closed face version. I pondered using VHB Very High Bond 3M double sided tape matched to this belt clip i found on Amazon. Seems burly enough with enough real estate area to bond well to the back on your Walkman without messing up the finish. Love to hear your thoughts on the matter.
BeltClip.jpg

I think the typeface is a bit more cyan than this version... I am not sure I want to make the insert as I don't think there's any in the movie :p But I was trying to figure out a way to order the songs so it can fit the double side. However I am pretty sure there is no side B. The rest of the songs are in Face A of the awesome mix vol. 2 ^^

The text on that picture with the insert is visually accurate, but you are right the color is too light.

The text on my retail versions, to the eye, is colored like blue Bic pen ink. And that's the color I was referring to as accurate, sorry for the lack of specificity.

When I made my first tape I just split the CD in half. 6 songs to a side. So "I want you back" started side B. Some people do movie-order, but that means no "Spirit in the sky" since that was just trailer song. My next tape will likely be retail order, since I want to display it with an altered version of the insert.

Yeah, I think I remember hearing Gunn say "I want you back" and "Ain't no mountain" were VOL 2.

The text on that picture with the insert is visually accurate, but you are right the color is too light.

The text on my retail versions, to the eye, is colored like blue Bic pen ink. And that's the color I was referring to as accurate, sorry for the lack of specificity.

When I made my first tape I just split the CD in half. 6 songs to a side. So "I want you back" started side B. Some people do movie-order, but that means no "Spirit in the sky" since that was just trailer song. My next tape will likely be retail order, since I want to display it with an altered version of the insert.

Yeah, I think I remember hearing Gunn say "I want you back" and "Ain't no mountain" were VOL 2.

Actually I'd say the retail type has slightly darker colour for the typeface.

Here, to show my point:

tape.jpg

I think it would be cooler to split tracks from side A of vol.1 and 2 :p

Here, to show my point:

View attachment 428485

I think it would be cooler to split tracks from side A of vol.1 and 2 :p

That screenshot looks brightened, wouldn't that cause the text to look like a lighter color?

Does the text on the retail tape text look gray on your screen? It reads as dark blue on mine, just like the retail tape does to my eye but just slightly too light compared to the retail.

Are you gonna put a VOL 2 label on the B side?

Here, to show my point:

I would not look at a screengrab from the movie as a reliable source regarding color, if you want the actual "real life" tone. GotG has a great amount of color grading and it changes drastically between scenes, making it almost impossible to get a consistent baseline on anything. (Just look at how the jackets, pants and other costume parts change hues throughout the film!)

Getting an exact color from any video source is nigh-on impossible, but you will get closer by looking at documentary (making-of) footage, which usually doesn't have as much post-processing as a finished feature. I recall they showed the tape deck (and tape) in the "tour the Milano" clip and that the color grading looked fairly neutral there. If you want to take it further, you could open it up in Photoshop and do some analyzing, maybe even try to "neutralize" the color spread. You'll never get it perfect, but you can get a lot closer than looking at frames from the film.

Just got my jacket back from our local seamstress. Re-antique zipper added and angled cut done to the cuff areas. NOTE: It's one tough zipper so we added some Zipper-Ease lubricant to the teeth to smooth it out a bit. As of current takes some strength to zip this together. It was very affordable and just 2 blocks away from our home :) Also not 100% screen accurate but a homage to the Young Peter Quill outfit i am building for my son. 1980s vintage Jansport back pack with various patches added: NASA MEATBALL patch was the only 1 i can ID. Not screen accurate palm tree, planet Earth and PacMan GHOSTS which was seen when we were first introduced to the young Peter Quill. My son loves it. Vintage plaid red and black wool hunting jacket is from SEARS. Gray RIVER Rafter t-shirt worn by the Young Peter Quill and Bereet on order. Hope this helps in your build. My friend will be coming over this late afternoon to paint the arm badge glyph and valve. Distress and wear will be added to darken the overall look as best as possible.
DSCN4444.JPG

Yeah, I've become obsessed with vintage headphones myself lately.

These are Sony MDR-M77 that I modified. I was listening to some of my favorite tracks through them last night and they really have an unbelievably crisp sound with excellent base. Very surprised, especially for being 30 years old!

The player is a vintage BM-12 portable dictator I picked up for $50. Still deciding if I should paint it or not.

Yeah, I've become obsessed with vintage headphones myself lately.

These are Sony MDR-M77 that I modified. I was listening to some of my favorite tracks through them last night and they really have an unbelievably crisp sound with excellent base. Very surprised, especially for being 30 years old!

The player is a vintage BM-12 portable dictator I picked up for $50. Still deciding if I should paint it or not.

This Star Lord build is pushing my $$$ limits :) Since i have to build a father and son twice the cost. Cannot wait to see more of your purse/bag and related builds. I have a small collection of vintage headphones myself!!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back