Two Pilots engaged in Neural Bridge: Gipsy Danger and Cherno Alpha online

Amazing job! I'm amazed what can be done with the bendable craft foam stuff. Looking forward to seeing more!

I think that FB photo is the same one I've seen floating around on Tumblr! Lots of people are loving your costume. :)

Cherno's been the subject of the work for this week. We got her stilts wearable and installed her knee pistons and whatnot, so now we're tweaking everything to fit and measuring it all out. Once it's all built then we'll add the next bits.
x2g3gNZl.jpg

Here you can see just how short Hailee is, as that's my fiance on the left and she's 5' 6".
FuLJsdel.jpg

And here we have her legs from the front. Because of how her feet have to be positioned on the stilts her calves are sitting a little far back, so we'll be working on tweaking that. We're also working on hiding her legs in the back:
qxUsCRdl.jpg

We'll probably add some plates to the calves and cover them in gibbuns to make them look like they fit, but we're kinda stuck on how to hide her knees since she needs them to be open to bend her knees properly.

Cherno looks great, but wouldnt it be better to have the pieces connect together after putting them on? I imagine the shin and thigh pieces sliding down the legs a lot

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing, you mentioned on my facebook page that you're making costumes to sell now. Any info on that?

Cherno looks great, but wouldnt it be better to have the pieces connect together after putting them on? I imagine the shin and thigh pieces sliding down the legs a lot

They do connect after putting them on. The pistons slide into the knees because they're a screen accurate way of stopping her shins from twisting when she walks. The way you see them sitting now is how they naturally sit as she wears them :p No sliding involved, in fact the bigger issue is getting them to slide back in after she bends her knee.

Another thing, you mentioned on my facebook page that you're making costumes to sell now. Any info on that?

Well I said I can make one. I don't know necessarily that someone would want one for a variety of reasons...like I've never made a suit with the wearer in absentee, the tacit ronin suit would require intensive work on the stilts and even then might not be functional give its enormous legs and tiny feet, it would take a great deal of time, and might be out of the price range of someone posting a wishlist to facebook =/ Plus it would take even longer if I couldn't find tacit ronin pepakura files...It becomes a question of "sure I can do it in theory, but I would want to do my absolute best and I don't know that I can garuntee a product I'd be happy with"

More work done today, we got the cylinder done:
3YiI4rb.jpg

and we're currently working on filling in the shins some more to hide her legs in them. I also spent the day reinforcing my armor plates, filling in the shoulder armor and the like so that I can install the lights, batteries, and speakers (as well as the rerigged shoulder anchors). Lastly Hailee has begun doing her detail work, etching in the armor panels like on mine so that we'll match. Her work is a lot more precise than mine...looks much better but unfortunately I won't have pics till she brings it back tomorrow!

Last edited:
It was a fan on my page that wanted a Tacit Ronin suit. Personally, I'm going for a Striker Eureka build, which has been on hold for awhile for a variety of reasons, most notably because I cant fund a project quite like this. My last build, because I was a n00b, I made mistakes that costed me about $30-$40 more than it should have. I learned well from that. Oh and by the way, hope you dont mind me taking (I think it was you) your idea of a Striker Eureka chest launcher that shoots nerf darts

It was a fan on my page that wanted a Tacit Ronin suit. Personally, I'm going for a Striker Eureka build, which has been on hold for awhile for a variety of reasons, most notably because I cant fund a project quite like this. My last build, because I was a n00b, I made mistakes that costed me about $30-$40 more than it should have. I learned well from that.
Yea that's the only one I saw so I figured that's to what you were referring...as far as making mistakes, as good as they are SriLanKING's files aren't the best as far as ease of scaling goes (though that may have improved since mine are literally the first versions he published) meaning we've made a lot of scaling mistakes for Cherno's Limbs. Mistakes happen, and really you only have no excuse if you've already made that exact suit before...otherwise it comes with the territory. Still, if you're working in foam the mistakes shouldn't cost you too much (it's the benefit of the medium).

Oh and by the way, hope you dont mind me taking (I think it was you) your idea of a Striker Eureka chest launcher that shoots nerf darts

I've discussed it but I haven't published the mechanisms that I have because I want to build and test them first before telling the world "hey look at this thing I made". Suffice to say it has a lot in common with the old Split Shot nerf gun mechanism...

I primarily use cardboard and from past experiences, I test that each part works well before any other process. As for the chest launcher, an idea I had was that instead of basically having nerf guns on my chest, I have a 6 ended tubing system that converges into one tube, then use pressurized air to launch them. Similar to a potato gun set up only way less pressure to be safe. And have some flexible pressure tubing to run underneath my arm and onto the back, which is where I want to store the air can. In those air duct things on strikers back is where I would hide the air can necapr1_2se4.jpg. If that fails, then I'll look for something else to try. Id illustrate what I mean but my chromebook doesnt have a paint feature

This is absolutely AMAZING!!! A friend linked this thread to my facebook page. I gotta say you have done an absolutely FANTASTIC job!! Now, I'm gonna curl up in a corner and cry because I had started planning out doing similar build for Gipsy and Striker to try and get them done for DragonCon in August. Now I'm just scared that anything I would be able to pull off will look like crap or be considered a rip off of your amazing work!! Hopefully soon, I can start work on both my Jaegers and my TARDIS build and have them done in time for DC. Again, AMAZING job!!!

Bring Stryker to DragonCon, I'm bringing my Gypsy. And I'll have at least one, perhaps 2 Jaegar Pilots in suits with me. Cheers!!

Great build and detail, thanks for sharing. Also for sharing the little details like the sketch, that's very cool and shows the importance of doing some planning in a build, even if it's just brainstorming with pen to paper on figuring out how to do something in a build. I like the weathering work you did too. Man, there was SO MUCH weathering on EVERYTHING in that movie, it was crazy. Good stuff. Good luck with the continued builds.

So after 8 hours of soldering (it's been like 10 years since I had to solder something...) and with a lot of help and used up LEDs I managed to finish the prototype (that is, my) lighting:
QyG4FT1l.jpg

QmYqBjTl.jpg

Next step is doing the arms on mine and the cone for Cherno. Currently have all the lights rigged to a 9 volt in pairs in parallel and have a switch to turn them on and off up by my helmet. I figure I'll turn them on at night or in Masquerades. I also tried to get every single light source I could, so even the twin lights that are on the underside of Gipsy's chest are there. The collar lights are 3 pairs of LEDs on perf board.

So after 8 hours of soldering (it's been like 10 years since I had to solder something...) and with a lot of help and used up LEDs I managed to finish the prototype (that is, my) lighting:
http://i.imgur.com/QyG4FT1l.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QmYqBjTl.jpg
Next step is doing the arms on mine and the cone for Cherno. Currently have all the lights rigged to a 9 volt in pairs in parallel and have a switch to turn them on and off up by my helmet. I figure I'll turn them on at night or in Masquerades. I also tried to get every single light source I could, so even the twin lights that are on the underside of Gipsy's chest are there. The collar lights are 3 pairs of LEDs on perf board.

Wow that looks great. Lights on the chest are a tad bit bright, but it looks awesome. Will you uave lights on the helmet as well?

Well done! We featured you on the RPF Facebook page and you are among our most popular posts ever. Now let's see that Cherno! :)
Woohoo! I'm officially internet famous!

Gotta say man the detail on gipsy is just fantastic! amazing work bud!
Thanks!

Wow that looks great. Lights on the chest are a tad bit bright, but it looks awesome. Will you uave lights on the helmet as well?

Well only Gipsy has a helmet light and it's just the one so yea probably...we'll figure out how to cram it in there...As far as the chest lights, they're supposed to be really bright because they're gipsy's primary flood lights.

But let's get to the one you all really want to see: Cherno Alpha!
E4vVtzIl.jpg

XIJWsJ1l.jpg

That floodlight in the top of the head shorted out and burned out all the LEDs once so I had to make an entirely new one...and now I get to play the fun little game of trying to make all the wires sit where they're supposed to so that they don't stab Hailee in the face when she wears the smokestack.

Sigh. So. Was gluing everything down and I contacted the solder node and the battery by accident. Poof, smoke and burned out LEDs, so now I have to rewire the whole ****** rig.

Good news is, I have elbow rockets:
QBSiQXul.jpg

Bad news is, I get to spend tomorrow rewiring Cherno's cone.

Last edited:
You mentioned in your first post that the Gipsy Danger body was a pep file. Do you have any link to this file? I might start a build of my own since my helmet is going so well

You mentioned in your first post that the Gipsy Danger body was a pep file. Do you have any link to this file? I might start a build of my own since my helmet is going so well

talk to SriLanKING or check on here for "pacific rim pepakura files" since that's where I got everything besides the head file you're using (which I got from the 405th.com)

Now then, if you're underage or reading this to your underage kids, feel free to skip this bit and just go right to the next bit:

Mother**** me ***** ****ing ****** I am sooooo ****ing achy...Hailee too. We were up late for days before the Con and while my suit was rigged MUCH better this time round (with the exception of me getting my abs mixed up on attachment) I wore two suits so my shoulders are ****ing killing me. Hailee on the other hand needs serious help with her stilts, since she's so small walking with those stilts all day wasn't just hard it was crippling, and her suit really took it out of her too...we'll be working on that. Some altered rigging to her stilts and her cone and such. Also her ****ing lights failed again, so I'm looking into a better way to fix that...and a more dedicated/rechargable power source

Anyways, Saturday started off for serious suck. Hailee's stilts really weighed her down and she wasn't used to walking in them (pains of a rushed production schedule and my own fault for underestimating the toll they'd take on her) so she moved really slowly, but it was doable until we got inside the con. At that point we'd been taking tons of pictures (which was exhilarating to see so many people appreciated our hard work for sure!) when the suit got to Hailee and she nearly passed out. There was a guy (and our handler Charlie) who very kindly helped get her safely over to a wall where we could get her some water and food and make sure she was doing ok. I took that opportunity to go notify the masquerade judges that we were there for prejudging, since prejudging was supposed to end in 15 minutes, only to find out that there was a mix up and prejudging actually had ended 15 minutes prior and had actually gone over its intended time, contrary to what the website said. Needless to say at that point we were a little disappointed but we figured that we'd come that far we might as well enjoy the masquerade, plus the immense popularity of both myself and her was wonderful to experience. We also saw some seriously awesome costumes, including a tru-scale Space Wolf! Mercifully once we got inside the hall (which took the better part of an hour from so many people wanting pictures!) a woman came rushing up to us to tell us that if we showed up to the masquerade at 6:30 we could still participate...which at that point really cemented how well the day had turned around, to go from not being able to walk besides other great cosplayers and Cherno proving too hot to Hailee being able to wander the con by herself and being allowed to participate.

From there the day just got better, there were a lot of awesome people at the con, many of whom absolutely lost their minds at our costumes, or had awesome costumes themselves (there were a lot of truly excellent clones and storm troopers, particularly a Captain Rex that was very crisp and smooth with an excellent finish on all his armor components as well as a very friendly Desert Trooper who we chatted up while Hailee was eating, also a pretty cool Juggernaut and Magneto, both of whom had some great helmets). There was also a very enthusiastic woman who was so happy to see our costumes she gave us posters for free of Gipsy and Cherno!

Anyways, the masquerade finally came, and I spent the 15 minutes leading up to it rushing back and forth between Charlie (who had my phone with all our progress pics and ref pics) and the judges so that they could get in some "prejudging"...which was actually really cool. They asked a lot of really in depth questions about our design process and detail choices, it was really fun to geek out with them over it...once I saw who we were up against though I was super nervous, especially since the judges said that, while we had a chance at winning, it was a very slim one. There was a frankly spectacular Odin that was a mix of the Marvel and Old Norse designs of the character, riddled with details and armor and chainmail and bells and tons of little things that, coupled with the Valkyrie and Thor he had with him, made him just spectacular. There was also an awesome triplet of Witches from Hocus Pocus, a AC2 Era Ezio Auditoire da Firenze, a black-suited armored gun wielding Spiderman (whose series escapes me atm...), a 2004 animated Joker, the aformentioned 7 foot tall Space Wolf, a Rapunzel, a Batgirl, a "Dark Knight Returns" era Batman (the Superman defeating armor specifically), the awesome Captain Rex, and a truly epic Rocket Racoon (and a prime example to me of why furry costumes are really, really impressive), and a truly disgusting Slimer...definitely some stiff competition, especially when, as I would later find out, many of them were in the "novice" category that we had entered.

Which is why, when they read out the three winners for the novice section and none of them were us, I was sad, but totally understood. The people they picked did absolutely fantastic jobs, and Rocket Raccoon totally deserved her win (her mouth moved and you could see her natural eyes under the mask, letting her be really emotive). Plus I wasn't expecting us to even place, really, since the judges had mentioned how slim our chances were before the show.

Turns out though that some of our competiton wasn't actually our competition, as I found out when Rex won third and an elf (who hand sculpted and cast her ears even) won second...then they said, for the winners of expert, "these two" and my heart skipped a beat. You see, there were several groups in the masquerade...but they were all threes...we were the only pair. And I honestly couldn't believe it...until they said "these guys did such a good job, we had to bump them up" and that's when I got really excited.

Turns out the PPDF earned its second win on saturday, despite everything! Quite possibly the most awesome day of any con I'd been to, that it started off pretty rubbish and turned into such an awesome day with so many awesome people. Also, we ran into the woman who took video of me from Taiyou con, so that's also awesome since she does such awesome work and I felt so lucky not just to be featured twice, but also that Hailee got so much recognition after all her hard work too!

But enough rambling! Here's the pics I've found from the con so far!
Credit for these goes to Charlie Eberspacher and Deep Patel:
AUxskAVl.jpg

amIKiXVl.jpg

7jrFOpLl.jpg

NSSTQWel.jpg

Credit for these goes to Gage Skidmore
aBo6fv9l.jpg

MVwNt9Dl.jpg

CLsto3Kl.jpg

KdFwqnDl.jpg

Next step is to improve all the little flaws we found in Cherno, just like I did after Taiyou con for myself. We'll also be making both our new hands that will move and transform and stuff, making her telescoping hands, making my sword, and looking for a more dedicated/rechargable power source (if any of you know of a viable replacement for 9 volt batteries that is reasonably cheap, lightweight, portable, and long lasting it would be awesome, especially if it's rechargable) Fortunately our next planned event is PHXCC, so we have plenty of time to improve on our tech!

Also if you have any pics of Hailee in Cherno I'd love to see them :)

One more thing: I ran into a Spartan III and IV on sunday that I just wanted to say had some pretty awesome armor for how young they looked. Keep up the good work kiddos!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back