Just What Was Luke's Plan For Vader??

Can you imagine the nagging Luke would have gotten from the ghosts of Yoda and Kenobi if he'd hidden Vader away someplace? He'd be haunted forever.

Thing is you couldn't keep him in chains or under arrest or lock and key unless he 100% wllingly accepted it. We saw the emperor remove luke's cuff's with the bat of an eye, no reason to think vader couldn't do it as well. Even if couldn't, he could just pull the old mind trick out an and them to unlock the door or whatever. Luke and Leia would basically have to stand watch on him non-stop - Leia only after luke could teach her to block the old mind trick.

It's a bit like the old 800lb gorilla. What does a captured vader do? Anything he wants.

I think what Luke was trying to do was not turn him to work with
the Rebellion. I think in the grand scheme of things he was trying to save his "soul" Not trying to turn this into a religious debate but I think that was all Luke had on his mind was to save Vader and in that regard he did. The Emperor went to his death tumbling down the shaft, you don't see him kicking back with Yoda and Obi Wan at the end of the movie. His soul was lost to the dark side. Vader on the other hand by intervening and saving his son from certain death was his redemption, that and also being the guy who threw the Emperor down the shaft didn't hurt either.
I agree with the saving the soul bit but why do we all assume the emperor died? Luke took a header down a similar shaft !?! And the emperor was apparently more powerful !!!
Maybe he had worse lol. Hell maybe we already saw him in TFA ???

Can you imagine the nagging Luke would have gotten from the
ghosts of Yoda and Kenobi if he'd hidden Vader away someplace? He'd be haunted forever.
LOL
Yeah reminds me of one of the books where Vader's ghost was bothering Leia all the time trying to apologize for you know killing her mom and whole adopted planet, carbon freezing her husband and trying to destroy pretty much every body and thing she cared about .

I don't think Luke really had a plan beyond "Gotta save my dad from himself." When it comes to family, even the most rational person stops thinking clearly, and let's be honest, Luke was far from the most rational thinker.

Why dose he even have a shaft that leads directly to a reactor in his throne room?

You know, thats actually a good point I never thought of. Maybe he hopes to throw people down there.

And I think we assume he died, not only because of the bluish death looking scene, but because the death star itself blew up shortly after.

Luke had no plan. Just "save dad".

If he had been successful he would have figured something out. Probably have Vader chill on Dagobah or something.

Can we say exactly what happened? for Vader to turn on the emperor?

Not my words....found on tinternet:

"Palpatine was also so confident in how thoroughly he had purged the dark side from Vader, that, along with the fact that Vader was on the dark side for over 20 years now, that there was no chance of him ever turning against him. Of course this shows how ultimately Luke was really more powerful than Palpatine as Luke and consistently sensed the little bit of good in Vader that he was going to try to resurrect. Once Vader saw Luke being killed by Palpatine, and knowing that he could no longer have any children due to his injuries and his condition, finally awoke that little bit of the light side in him that neither Palpatine nor Vader could get rid of. Yes, Vader himself was trying to remove all the remnants of the light side in him, those little bit of compassion, mercy or emotional attachments, but he could never get rid of it all fully. Those are the qualities that Luke kept sensing that Vader was struggling with which eventually reawakened once Luke's like was in jeopardy, and those are the qualities in Vader that Palpatine either failed to sense, or simply didn't think they were strong enough to overcome the dark side in Vader.
Palpatine was simply too confident in the dark side overall as he felt that it would keep Vaders light side from awakening, and if it did, that same power would keep Vader loyal to his Master. As Vader said to Luke "You don't know the POWER of the dark side.. I MUST obey, my Master".
These are the reasons why Palaptine failed to see Vader turning against him at that time, though he knew that Vader was plotting it, for it's the way of the Sith.
Prides goes before a fall."

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Well my initial reaction was that Luke and Anakin would strike out on their own (perhaps similar to the bittersweet/melancholy ending originally talked about for ROTJ) and maybe bring back the Jedi on their own, as father and son. Obi-wan and Yoda would be gobsmacked. Luke had found a seemingly impossible third alternative. I think only Leia knows Vader was their father so even if Luke had shown up again with a "Light-side Makeover Anakin", most people might not necessarily realize he was Vader. They would think Vader died on the DSII and Luke had found his long lost father Anakin...which is true, from a certain point of view.;) I'd say any further explanations would possibly require some considerable bending of the truth though.

General Public: "Where has the legendary Anakin Skywalker been all this time? We thought he had died years ago! And what happened to his face?!"

Luke: "Uh...well...ummm...He almost died navigating on a spice freighter?"

However, I think there's a good point to be made that if Anakin had truly returned to the Light and wanted to be redeemed, he'd want to answer for his many crimes. He'd turn himself in. Somewhat anticlimactic but honorable all the same...

Last edited:
I would think that since it was back in the 80's that once he turned his father to the good side he would take his father to the mall and get him a soft pretzel and an Orange Julius. That is what I would have done. Then hit the arcade for a while :)

I would think that since it was back in the 80's that once he turned his father to the good side he would take his father to the mall and get him a soft pretzel and an Orange Julius. That is what I would have done. Then hit the arcade for a while :)

Pac-Man heals all wounds.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Thing is you couldn't keep him in chains or under arrest or lock and key unless he 100% wllingly accepted it. We saw the emperor remove luke's cuff's with the bat of an eye, no reason to think vader couldn't do it as well. Even if couldn't, he could just pull the old mind trick out an and them to unlock the door or whatever. Luke and Leia would basically have to stand watch on him non-stop - Leia only after luke could teach her to block the old mind trick.

There's a simple solution to that, at least the Jedi mind trick part, you simply attach his wrist cuffs to a short length chain attached to his waist that keeps him from moving his arms much beyond waist level. Because, as we all know, the Jedi mind trick simply doesn't work unless you can wave your hand in front of the person's face.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back