Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Post-release)

In the first film Gamora and Groot weren't at all close and almost had no interaction whatsoever. I think Gunn said it was because she chopped his arms off when they first met.
It's interesting to note that in GotG v2 Gamora has a nice maternal bond with baby Groot. It was sweet when she stops to wave "hi" back to him in the middle of the opening fight or when she has to console baby Groot when she has to leave him behind in the ship.

- De-aging on Kurt Russell, or however they did it, was GREAT.

- Ravager slaughter was great. Putting on tunes to murder them too :D
"yeah... maybe 30 years from now there will be adults who look at this flick as their Star Wars".

Kurt was aged with only makeup! Crazy, but true. There's an interview out about it.

The Ravager slaughter was pretty faithful to parts of the comic where Rocket clearly enjoys "murdering" people.

Honestly, as much as I grew up with Star Wars and how it's always been there, I think GotG, with Vol 2 has edged it out for me.

Gamora has a nice maternal bond with baby Groot. It was sweet when she stops to wave "hi" back to him in the middle of the opening fight or when she has to console baby Groot when she has to leave him behind in the ship.

Also note the way Groot and Drax bonded. Even if Groot was often angry at him (and afraid of him when dancing), they had that moment in the end.

Something i didn't get....I do understand that the Kurt Russel version of Ego had to return to the planet from time to time to recharge/keep his immortality, but that was for that body, no? Ego, the center of planet, was the 'celestial' and that version of him was immortal regardless of location - apparently unless you put a bomb on his brain. That part I get.

However, if Star Lord is truly part celestial, why was his mortality and ability tied to the planet itself? Not sure how it would be. It's like saying, when your father dies, you die. There's no correlation between the two. I'd maintain that if you're part celestial and have 'the genes' that that's it. You have them. Between 1/2 celestial might not mean you can live forever, but a boat load longer than the average human (provided you don't die of unnatural causes first (like a bomb on the brain)). That's how i was thinking yondu would survive. That Quill would see if he had any ability left and use it to revive Yondu. I mean, he had the ability to create a giant rock pac man and go toe to toe with dad for a short period of time. I don't get at all how that is exclusively tied to the planet. Even if the planet is a collected zone of power, to enhance what you can do, IT didn't provide the immortality nor the ability to make/do things.

Then again, maybe that happens in Infity Wars or 3.

IMO, Ego was saying Peter could always come back to the planet to "recharge" his body and be immortal. Just like what happened when Peter destroyed Ego's body on the planet he was able to use the power to reform his body. As long as Peter was on the planet he could do the same.

Is there another comic that's in the same zone as Guardians? The Sly quip about 'maybe we should put the team back together' made wonder if they were thinking spinoff..

As was mentioned right after you posted that, there have been several Guardians teams, but time travel is involved and it gets headache-inducing. For instance, Stakar was the son of Ayesha (aka Her aka Kismet aka...) and Quasar in the future and abducted as an infant and taken back in time. When he got back to the future, he organized that era's Guardians out of inspiration from the Guardians he ran with in the past. It gets... messy. I'm very grateful the MCU has largely not touched time travel.

I'm enough of a comics nerd to remember Stakar's comic-book appearance and 1) I really hope his ship is named Starhawk, and 2) I love that they incorporated what were stupid head-covering dealy-boppers on his comic costume as much-cooler-looking glowy dealy-boppers on his movie jacket:

Starhawk.jpg

As for Ayesha, BTW... *sigh* She and Adam Warlock are two characters I'm looking forward to a better origin in the MCU than they had in the comics -- but I also like that they keep underlying elements intact. Adam Warlock was originally created on Earth by some smarty-pants scientists trying to create an artificial superbeing they could control (cuz that always works out great...). He was called Him, kicked their asses, and left. Stuff happened, he got the Soul Gem, he died... *deep breath* ...by traveling several month into the future and stealing his own soul. Those same scientists tried again. She also kicked their asses and left. She set out to find Him to be her mate, was quite put out when she found out he was dead, and started evaluating the heroes she ran across for their potential as mates (how she ended up with Quasar). So I was chuckling with the extra meaning that lent to her asking Peter about his genetic heritage.

The first time I saw it the first half seemed a little ponderous only because there was no development where I expected to find it - Quill and Gamora's relationship doesn't evolve, Groot is just a baby, etc. Since everyone was physically split apart we didn't get more of the same interactions we saw in the first. It felt static because I didn't understand the value of the new relationships that were introduced.

The thing to remember is that this takes place a couple months maybe after the first film. They're flying high on their rep for saving Xandar from Ronan, Groot's out of the pot but not all grown up yet, Peter and Gamora are still cautiously dancing around their feelings... It's not static, but the changes from the first film are incremental. And they move forward over the course of this film from where they all are at the start of it, differently and to different degrees depending on the character and their arc, but they're all dynamic, and it all felt appropriate to me.

--Jonah

IMO, Ego was saying Peter could always come back to the planet to "recharge" his body and be immortal. Just like what happened when Peter destroyed Ego's body on the planet he was able to use the power to reform his body. As long as Peter was on the planet he could do the same.

But those are different things. The Kurt Russell bodied character was an extension of Ego the planet. It wasn't a separate consciousness. The planet was the celestrial. The body was a creation made by the celestial to relate to the people of the galaxy. Peter, on the other hand, is an actual person with 1/2 celestial DNA. His original body is with him at all times. If the human body ego is killed on Nova Prime, he's not dead. The planet ego can recreate him, he just has to re-start his journey from planet ego. Whether or not all his knowlege and memories are immediately downloaded to the planet wasn't said. Just that he comes back to the planet from time to time to recharge the body.

Kurt was aged with only makeup! Crazy, but true. There's an interview out about it.

The Ravager slaughter was pretty faithful to parts of the comic where Rocket clearly enjoys "murdering" people.

Honestly, as much as I grew up with Star Wars and how it's always been there, I think GotG, with Vol 2 has edged it out for me.

Also note the way Groot and Drax bonded. Even if Groot was often angry at him (and afraid of him when dancing), they had that moment in the end.

I loved how during the funeral, Groot was going from one to the next until he fell asleep on Drax's shoulder. Completely reminded me of my nephew when he was a little guy and wanted to comfort and be comforted at the same time. Absolutely beautiful.

Also, regarding Peter being able to understand Groot: in the comics, everyone in the Guardians can understand him. It's just a matter of them having been together so long that they learn his "language".

Also also, Groot is the best in the comics too:
tumblr_ngfl9ffBlt1twfpllo2_r1_500.png

Last edited:
But those are different things. The Kurt Russell bodied character was an extension of Ego the planet. It wasn't a separate consciousness. The planet was the celestrial. The body was a creation made by the celestial to relate to the people of the galaxy. Peter, on the other hand, is an actual person with 1/2 celestial DNA. His original body is with him at all times. If the human body ego is killed on Nova Prime, he's not dead. The planet ego can recreate him, he just has to re-start his journey from planet ego. Whether or not all his knowlege and memories are immediately downloaded to the planet wasn't said. Just that he comes back to the planet from time to time to recharge the body.

While correct about Ego, Ego told Peter he is immortal. Which he is if he has access to the planet. That does not mean he is invulnerable. Plenty of characters in the comics/media can be immortal (live forever) but can still be hurt or killed.

Also, if you think about it Ego's plan was to make ALL the planets a part of him which meant Peter could be ANYWHERE and have Ego force around him if the plan was completed.

The way I understood the whole "Peter's powers" things, is that Peter's powers were to control the light of Ego's core. No Ego = no light to control. The question of his immortality, on the other hand... I'm not touching that.

The way I understood the whole "Peter's powers" things, is that Peter's powers were to control the light of Ego's core. No Ego = no light to control. The question of his immortality, on the other hand... I'm not touching that.

I think Ego said Peter would be immortal as long as the light exists.

Vin Diesel Teases An Even Bigger Groot In Avengers: Infinity War[/h]http://www.monkeysfightingrobots.com/vin-diesel-teases-even-bigger-groot-avengers-infinity-war/

Diesel is set to return in Avengers: Infinity War and Guardians 3. The actor remains keen on reprising Groot in the future, and he wants a spin-off to happen.
“James Gunn has always wanted a Rocket and Groot movie,” he says.

I feel Quill will still have his Celestial genes. I think that what Ego told him was a BS way of trying to get him to stay and follow his path.

If you think about it, it doesnt make sense. Ego had to return to his planet several times in a few years to "recharge" while dating Quills mother. Yet Peter is mid 30's and he hasnt been to the planet once to "recharge" yet he was able to hold the Infinity Stone because of his Celestial gene.

I think he may feel like he lost it but really hasnt and he will discover again that he has the power.

Had a thought during the film which for some reason I never had during the trailer.

Why on earth did Rocket build into his trigger, a button that would immediately set it off once primed. He's not the "sacrifice" type really, can't really think why he'd make it that way (other than for the plot comedy).

Had a thought during the film which for some reason I never had during the trailer.

Why on earth did Rocket build into his trigger, a button that would immediately set it off once primed. He's not the "sacrifice" type really, can't really think why he'd make it that way (other than for the plot comedy).

Hell Rocket is always thinking fifty steps ahead so who knows. He probably wanted the option if it fell into bad guys hands he might trick them into pressing the boom now button.

Hell Rocket is always thinking fifty steps ahead so who knows. He probably wanted the option if it fell into bad guys hands he might trick them into pressing the boom now button.

He's definitely a Batman-level planner - the forest scene (even though it went a bit goofy) was awesome. So perhaps that works. Such a badass little trash panda. :thumbsup

He's definitely a Batman-level planner - the forest scene (even though it went a bit goofy) was awesome. So perhaps that works. Such a badass little trash panda. :thumbsup

Also we needed character growth for Groot. He needed to get something right.

EVERYONE HAD THEIR ARCS CLOSED!

It's terrific. heh.

Maybe I like this movie more than I was thinking I did.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back