Dremel seems to have died, what next?

captainfalling

Hey folks!

As the title says, my Dremel 3000 has died a death today while using it to sand and bevel the edges of some foam. Not sure what's wrong with it so going to test with a multimeter in case its something as simple as a blown fuse or the switch. If that doesnt work out for me then I am not sure what to go for next on my pretty limited budget.

I have heard that proxxon are good and that foredom are awesome (could only see kits on the website for hundreds though).

My budget is pretty much up to £100 at a push, ideally something around 50-70 though (would also be useful if i could use my dremel bits with it too :D ).

Anyone got any advice on what brand or a specific model I should consider?

Thanks folks!

If push comes to shove and you can't fix it and have to replace it, consider a non dremel brand of rotary tool. I am on my 2nd now and after torturing the first one for 3 years, it died, but it only cost about $50. It replacment was $55 and is going strong. I got both of mine from Aldi. They come with an assortment of bits and will do everything the expensive branded version does.

Not had a chance to yet, I'm gonna make sure that I haven't blown something big on it but the brushes are something I will replace if current is still running through.

From what I have seen it seems like two major issues are the brushes wearing down quickly or the switch failing due to the vibrations of the motor. Would it be worth replacing the parts or should i spring for something a little bigger?

I've used Proxxon and dremel and the best bang for my buck has been the black n decker rotary tool. I have been through multiple of each. The Black n Decker cost less and last longer for me.

I am not the nicest person on my tools. I always wear gloves, face shield, and a mask.

It's funny, I've had my Dremel since the late 70's and it's still going strong, and I've never replaced the brushes.

Crack the case, give it a good clean and try to get it back together. I did that with mine when I kicked to cord and it fell off the bench and stopped working (after I'd already brought a new one and it was already in the post). It's better than ever now. It even fixed the horrible knock that I thought was dying bearings. Turns out it was the half bag of plaster of paris I'd left in there lol :cheers

Cheers guys, will check out the suggested brands and whatnot in case mine is truly gone!

Also, Chaank, I stripped it down and cleaned it all also, Like you said, apart from the dust inside it all seemed alright, no luck with it after that for me though :(

I got myself recently the Milwaukee M12 Cordless Rotary Tool Kit...it was ~99.99 @HD I find it packs more punch then a standard Dremel + the including cutting wheels are decent !

I use 2 dremels, one belonged to my dad. Both still work perfectly. I bought a Proxxon a couple of years ago to compare and it's no longer from this world...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back