GONK!

Wow! I'm blown away by this. I've been looking for a prop to build as I'm kinda new to all this. Might give this a go now

Wow! I'm blown away by this. I've been looking for a prop to build as I'm kinda new to all this. Might give this a go now

Thanks! This is actually my 3rd prop, so I'm not experienced yet.
Do it, it is a lot of fun :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I primered the Gonk, wait when it is dry and applied final colour. I found out that the spray can is not enough, so only half of the droid is gray.
This showed the places which could be done better, so second layer of bondo was applied.
The thing that I don't like on this is the structure of the wood, which is still visible. How can I remove/mask it? Or do I must reconcile myself with it?
So I need another spray paint (this time maybe light brown?)
IMG_1517.JPG
This is the wood structure:
IMG_1518.JPG
IMG_1520.JPG
IMG_1521.JPG

I had a smaller project I didn't want the grain to show through and everyone (at paint stores) said it's impossible to get rid of it.

So I came up with my own way. I primed the pieces, then bought some varnish sealant for outdoor, and put on three or so coats. I then took some fine grit sandpaper and sanded til it looked like glass. Then primed again.... Can't see the grain at all.

Torrron, working with the plywood is a challenge when it comes to painting it and hiding the wood grain. I typically go with MDF for this vary reason but that stuff gets heavy. In my experience if you sand down to a fine grit like 320 to start then you need to apply a sealant over the top. You can use sanding dealer or better yet polyurethane. If you do several layers of that it will build up and give you a "plastic" finish over the top. Then when you spray it will get rid of the grain.

at least that has worked very well for me in the past. Unless someone else has a better option for you. I know SofaKing works with a lot of plywood on his falcon project so he may have another option for ya.

Last edited by a moderator:
do u have a palm sander? u can palm sand it, then cover the whole panel with bondo the sand smooth again. it's a lot of sanding but you could make that look like glass

u could even buy a cheap long sander like the auto body guys use, harbor freight even carries them

do u have a palm sander? u can palm sand it, then cover the whole panel with bondo the sand smooth again. it's a lot of sanding but you could make that look like glass

u could even buy a cheap long sander like the auto body guys use, harbor freight even carries them

Unfortunately not. But I'm going to look tomorrow for some supplies. I think the options from NeoRutty and Fuzzual should work good. We'll see :)
But thank you for the tip!

I bought today some supplies like colors and enamel for the wood grain.
First of all: sanding:
IMG_1547.JPG
Then applying the first layer of the enamel:
IMG_1548.JPG
IMG_1549.JPG
Tomorrow other layers. I hope it will abridge the wood grain [emoji52]

Looks real good. I hope the primer fills in the grain enough. Sanding around all those greeblies is probably a pain.

Could you post a pic of the inside bottom "tub"? I am curious how you connected it to the legs.

-Eric

I'm also curious.

Looks real good. I hope the primer fills in the grain enough. Sanding around all those greeblies is probably a pain.

Could you post a pic of the inside bottom "tub"? I am curious how you connected it to the legs.

-Eric
Thanks! Luckily, in the "face" area is not so much grain, so I didn't have to put the primer there.

Sure here it is:
It is simply screwed to the wooden blocks inside the legs:
IMG_1552.JPG

Here you can see the blocks. They're inside plastic pipes:
IMG_1485.JPG

And in the legs it holds on two pieces of wood screwed and glued to place
IMG_1484.JPG

Here's a simple diagram:
IMG_1553_diagram.JPG

Thanks for the pics! Does it have any desire to tip in one direction? I know spacebob said his was very top heavy.

-Eric

Thanks for the pics! Does it have any desire to tip in one direction? I know @spacebob said his was very top heavy.

-Eric

You're welcomed. It tilts a bit backwards. And yes, it is heavy, but I think most of the weight do the stones in the feet...

Looking good :) getting near the end now.
if you want it to look nice and clean then you will have to grain fill with a wood filler, it would be much quicker than multiple primer layers. That's why mine is very very distressed.
It tipping backwards isn't a problem if it's against a wall, but again that's why mine has the little stabilers at the back. Gonk.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back