Final Mission: Hit-Girl & Big Daddy Pt IV

Bigdaddy

Master Member
We have just completed our 1st Big Daddy & Hit-Girl film! :)Since we will never get to see Nick & Chloe show us how they got started (in the film version of the story) we thought we'd give it a try.:cool There are 2 more BD&HG (Kick-Ass prequel) films in the works, as well as some stand alone (in-between-quels) shorts for Hit-Girl. There is also the distinct possibility of a Night Bitch/Col Stars & Stripes origins story for next year.:D
The funds for this project (mainly for a computer and software upgrade) have had to go elsewhere so we are moving forward with the tools we have. Everything was shot in HD 1920x1080 30fps (except the slow-mo, shot at 60 fps) and edited in WMML (really frustrating!:facepalm) there are no visual effects to speak of in that program so we tried to figure out the best way of doing this using only practical effects on a very low budget. The prelude at the beginning has a watermark on it because I used the trial software to convert it, but it disappears after the 1st minute. I have a basic Vimeo account so I can't post it in HD but have all the RAW footage (hours of it to get an 8min short!) so when I do upgrade my comp, software and Vimeo account, I imagine this will be my "New Hope", and I'll make changes, re-edit, add effects, make a "SE" etc...:lol

Just a couple of things I learned as a novice:
1:Sunset light is very cool looking but seriously limits your shooting time, like 20 min a day! I won't do it again.:$
2: Don't use face makeup unless you have a makeup artist. It's very time consuming to apply, needs to "match" for continuity, and if you are a one-man crew the actors have to sit around in makeup waiting for other tasks to be done (which can lead to impatient and itchy actors)
3:If a scene requires the character(s) to drink liquor DON'T use the real thing, after a few takes people start to become "affected". (though it's easier to convince volunteer actors to work late when you ply them with alcohol);)
4: Get an external microphone :lol
5:Making a film is a lot of work, but tremendously fun!:cool:thumbsup

Enjoy... KICK-START
attachment.php

Attachments

• cover1.jpg
    cover1.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 1,020
Last edited:
Re: KICK-START A Kick-Ass prequel fan film

Awesome! Looks like you had a lot of fun making it.

That was go great... brought a tear to my eye.
Thanks guys! :) It was a lot of fun, Tuesday night will be our 1st shoot for part 2, it's going to be exciting to finally see her don the Purple for some filming instead of just trick-or-treat. ;)
Some fun making of shots:
12:00am
attachment.php

after another afternoon of filming...
attachment.php

My 1st attempt at making a CO2 power squib, the trigger was more sensitive than I thought... :lol
attachment.php

Attachments

• 044c.jpg
    044c.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 935
  • shotgun 090r.jpg
    shotgun 090r.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 919
  • 053c.jpg
    053c.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 971

Just got done watching it. You guys did a great job, I'll definitely watch the next part.
Thanks, we got rained out of filming tonight, but tomorrow is looking clear so we'll be on the rooftops. :)

Can't watch on vimeo :(
It took a few hours to get it loaded but youtube link below, for some reason it changes the aspect ratio, instead of fitting to the screen :facepalm if anybody knows how to fix it on youtube, let me know.
KICK-START on Youtube

Ha! That was GREAT!
Good job on the squibs.
Looking forward to the next one! :thumbsup

Ha! That was GREAT!
Good job on the squibs.
Looking forward to the next one! :thumbsup
Thanks, the squibs were a gas to use (no pun intended), I found a tutorial on making them with C02 instead of an actual "charge" , I'm not comfortable with strapping explosives (no matter how small) to anybody's body. (especially mine! :lol )
I just figured out how to fix the ratio on youtube so it isn't "squished" anymore. :)

Here's an interview she did about the project, mainly for our relatives but I know she'd like it posted here. It gave her the sense that she was doing a "real" movie. :)

[video=vimeo;91783364]https://vimeo.com/91783364[/video]

and a couple of stills from the 1st night filming part 2.

Her costume was a little out of sorts in the 1st one, but she had just scaled the side of a building, and was really feeling "in character" :cool (sporting her new boots)
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• aa 051c.jpg
    aa 051c.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 865
  • aa 062c.jpg
    aa 062c.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 863

This is SO kick ass! :cool :thumbsup Looking forward to seeing the next film!! You guys are awesome!

This is SO kick ass! :cool :thumbsup Looking forward to seeing the next film!! You guys are awesome!
Thanks HS! We're filming a knife fight tonight, part 2 is being filmed in a business location so all the shooting has to be done late. The police drove past at 11pm while Hit-Girl was clinging to a drain pipe on the side of the building, she just smiled and waved, and they kept going! :lol

Thanks HS! We're filming a knife fight tonight, part 2 is being filmed in a business location so all the shooting has to be done late. The police drove past at 11pm while Hit-Girl was clinging to a drain pipe on the side of the building, she just smiled and waved, and they kept going! :lol

Hahahahaha!!! That's amazing! :lol Looking forward to your next creation, keep the photos coming! :thumbsup

Here are a few pics of the "ash trap" that Hit-Girl uses to get the drop on The Boss (I'm not a professional writer :lol ). The exterior shot of her going into the trap is the actual ash clean-out for our chimney, and it does access an underground opening below our fireplace, but there was no way to get a camera inside there with her! :lol I made the false ceiling using a 4x8 sheet of 2" thick Styrofoam, gave it a quick spray with black paint, and then went over it with a stone texted grey spray paint and tossed some ashes on it while it was still wet. It actually mimics the jagged stone edge of the of the ash-hole ( :lol ) pretty well. The interior lid was a piece of 1/4" foam core cut to the same size as the 1/4" steel plate inside the fireplace, curved to match the heat warp from the actual lid, then spayed black and coated with ashes several times. The shots of her under the trap were filmed in the darkest corner of the cellar, and the lights above were filtered to match the bad lighting in the top-side interior scenes (the lighting always looks WAY better when I play back on the camera)
attachment.php

attachment.php

The brief case was scored at a 2nd hand store, I actually liked the look of it a lot and hated to blast a hole in it, but didn't see any way of accomplishing the effect without actually shooting it.
One stack of money had to get shot as well, so I used my laptop to record the audio from my pistol shot and added it to the sound library. The money took a whole lot of cutting with a some what antiquated paper cutter from some old letter head stock that was defunct. I barely had enough to do the 1600 bills required for one layer in the case, the cut out foam from the trap door was used to fill the bottom. I calculated the contents of the case to be a little over $500,000 (4 stacks high plus a few on the side) so that's the start-up money they have to start buying gear. ;) I bought 100 $100 bills for the tops and bottom of the stacks, and my bank provided the wraps for them. :) There are still plenty left so I'm working on making some big money "bricks" for a future installment.
attachment.php

attachment.php

My friend Scott has become our self appointed hand-to-hand choreographer, stunt spotter, and likely stunt double for everyone except BD & HG. He's an extremely accomplished Judoka and combat veteran of the USMC, and is very enthusiastic about helping us with this project. When you see Big Daddy go airborne, you can be sure Scott did the "launch"! ;) I sent this picture to another friend of mine that is a USMC vet and it convinced him to play a part in #3. :lol He was doing a very passable Aunold: "GET TO DA CHOPPA!!!"
attachment.php

Writing: As I said I'm not a writer, but I've decided these stories should mesh with the Kick-Ass movies, and not violate continuity with them. There will be character names hardcore fans might recognize, as well as references to "future" events, the 3rd will directly tie in to the beginning of Kick-Ass, and the 4th takes place simultaneously with it. I'm looking forward to exploring BD/Damon's split personality (let's face it Dave was right in KA2 "the guy was totally insane") and Mindy being a playful kid/assassin. My birthday is coming up and I've dropped a few hints at home that I'd like the Making of KA book so I can reproduce BD's hit-list wall for a few scenes at their apartment. :) I'm planning on using scenes from the actual film to tie-in the relevant events in our films but I still have the darn watermark from the converting software, hopefully I can resolve that before the final edits.
Another issue is the sound, I've looked into several ways to capture the audio better, so far I'm leaning towards a "shotgun" microphone that mounts to the camera, I found a decent one for about $50, otherwise I think we'll be looping the voice tracks again. :rolleyes Anybody had any experience using one of these for filming?
We have a limited pool of actors, (especially with raising the body count for each installment :lol ) so I'll probably be in using a lot of false beards and wigs! ;)

#2 (we have a working title but nothing final) is coming along well, all the exteriors are done and 1/2 the interiors, should be ready to post for the 4th of July! :cool:thumbsup

On the set part 2:

Made it to the top!
attachment.php

When the wind hits the cape, you have to take a picture. :)
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Coming soon:
attachment.php

Attachments

• UG01.png
    UG01.png
    406.8 KB · Views: 786
  • SB-INT 026.JPG
    SB-INT 026.JPG
    234.7 KB · Views: 752
  • SB-INT 001.JPG
    SB-INT 001.JPG
    235.5 KB · Views: 755
  • aa 053c.jpg
    aa 053c.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 773
  • aa 059cr.jpg
    aa 059cr.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 805
  • scottshoot 008c.jpg
    scottshoot 008c.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 772
  • moneyshot4.JPG
    moneyshot4.JPG
    264.1 KB · Views: 778
  • moneyshot1.jpg
    moneyshot1.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 780
  • 310.JPG
    310.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 853
  • IMG_0218.JPG
    IMG_0218.JPG
    219 KB · Views: 792
Last edited:

I must have tried to cram too many pictures into one post before and just realized the links were broken, fixed.

We're still maintaining our schedule for a 4th of July release of part 2, my brother had his 1st night filming and really enjoyed it. He decided to go without a stunt double, so we'll be filming his action sequence next week.
Rehearsal:
attachment.php

I'm recreating this corner of the apartment for a scene:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I found the right slot board panels free from the lumber yard in town, they were old displays and were going to get tossed out, SCORE! :D
I'm having trouble creating his hit list though:
attachment.php

I marked the ones I already found on the web with an X, and I just ordered the "Making-of" book. Can anyone confirm if the rest of the art I need is in the book? Or does anybody have copies of the art they would be willing to share? Thanks folks any help is appreciated. :)

Attachments

• M&L01.JPG
    M&L01.JPG
    249.4 KB · Views: 720
  • hitlist marked.jpg
    hitlist marked.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 726
  • damon macready.jpg
    damon macready.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 714
  • bdhghide out.jpg
    bdhghide out.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 785
  • hitlist.jpg
    hitlist.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 715

Last night we went later than any other time, finished filming at 1am, got home by 2am, but I was so excited I went right to editing until 7am and finally had to call it quits! :lol
It was the most actors I've had to direct in a scene at once (5 including me) and it was 20 miles from home so all the wardrobe, props, FX stuff and filming gear had to be hauled back and forth. Luckily I just got a new Big Daddy-mobile so there is lots of room to tote stuff around. There's only 5 more nights of filming scheduled, so we're in the home stretch with #2. :cool

I finally got the "Making of Kick-Ass" book, not only did it have most of the art I needed for this project but is an all around awesome book for fans of the movie and comics , lots of info and photos, highly recommended. :thumbsup

Last night was also the 1st time I wore my new shirt ;)
attachment.php

15 minutes later (still wearing the shirt underneath :) )
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• cap 065r.jpg
    cap 065r.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 678
  • cap 062crop.jpg
    cap 062crop.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 691
  • HG point.png
    HG point.png
    412 KB · Views: 729

We're running behind about a month due to a major auto malfunction,(which grounded me for a few weeks) but the BD-mobile is back on the road.:D Only 2 more days of filming (Including the 1st shots of the BD-mobile) and a whole lot of editing and audio looping. It was suggested to me by a friend that the trailer for Kick-Start showed too much, so I tried to make this more of a teaser.
On YouTube for the moment

Trailer: Reluctant Donor

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back