Orcrist paint job?

Rcampen

Hey guys, new build coming up and there's one part I'm struggling with which is the paint job.

I'm gonna be making it entirely out of MDF and I was thinking of painting it with spray paint but I was wondering if there were better options out there or suggested paints?

PHjbBh2uGiLxmo_3_l.jpg

You could use filler primer. Spray on like spray paint and gives a nice finish. Then you could go in with a good chrome spray paint. Id go with Rust-Oleum.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

I've used the Ace brand of Rustoleum in the aluminum color and if you prep your surface nice and smooth it's damn near chrome. Do not clear coat it or you'll lose the effect. There are other chrome paints and as long as you get a good one, that's the way I would go. That sword doesn't appear to be a mirror finish anyway, so it should be easy.

I'm sure someone will suggest aluminum tape. It's okay, but expect seams and wrinkles the will give it away up close. It's only suitable for heavily weathered stuff, IMO.

-Rog

I've used the Ace brand of Rustoleum in the aluminum color and if you prep your surface nice and smooth it's damn near chrome. Do not clear coat it or you'll lose the effect.

Absolutely AMAZING paint. ROG is correct though. The last thing you want to do, is clear coat ANY type of chrome or metallic paints. It takes away all metallic Sheens and effects.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Obligatory aluminum tape suggestion. I've never *personally* used it, though. In fact I was skeptical up until I saw Adam Savage use it for a wooden sword. After hitting it with a um...wow I'm having a complete brain-skip. "Iron sponge" is the closest I can recall. But that plus a little bit of a wash and it was pretty convincing. I'm not disagreeing with the paint suggestions *at all*, I just like to add alternatives to consider. Good luck with your sword - it's a great one to do.

You can also try silver rub"n"buff. Surface prep is very important if you want a reflective surface. Prime, sand, prime, sand, prime and wet sand to 600 grit and apply in very thin layers with your finger and move it back and forth along the surface to create some heat friction and it will slightly melt the wax and create a very shinny appearance. I have done this a few time on both wood and resin, here it is on my Aeglos prop from Lord of the Rings.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Cool, I hate Rub 'n Buff less now (too often it's applied by a gorilla and looks no better than drybrushing silver). That'll get a vote from me. Still refusing to vote for aluminum tape though. :p

-Rog

so its a bit of a far out idea but if you spray it with a silver finish then use rub-n-buff it will help bring out some extra shine and make it look more real as it wll catch on more edges and give more metallic glare

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back