Bandai 1-144 Millennium Falcon ANH version

Looking at underside falcon pics gives me that same feeling like climbing the rope in gym class....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Wow!
Geeat thread.

Quick question- on shapeways it says to attatch the radar dish requires some cutting.
Can you elaborate on the type of cutting?

Wow!
Geeat thread.

Quick question- on shapeways it says to attatch the radar dish requires some cutting.

If you look at the first post in this thread, you will see there is a round mount molded in to the upper saucer. If you look at this post:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=251165&p=3828429&viewfull=1#post3828429

Jaitea has cut out a that mount and removed the additional material to match the large Falcon, so the OT style mount could be inserted from the bottom.

If you're referring to the add-on dish from 308bits on Shapeways, there are three versions. Two require significant modification of the dish mount - you have to cut out the existing mount, leaving a hole in the saucer, and construct your own. The third is slightly less screen accurate, but fits into the existing dish mount, so you don't have to mess with any cutting.

If you're referring to the add-on dish from 308bits on Shapeways, there are three versions. Two require significant modification of the dish mount - you have to cut out the existing mount, leaving a hole in the saucer, and construct your own. The third is slightly less screen accurate, but fits into the existing dish mount, so you don't have to mess with any cutting.

So you have to construct your own mount?
Styrene?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, you could make it out of 22 karat gold or mahogany if you wanted to. :) Basically it's something flat inside the hole to support the dish mount.

It's not... difficult. But it's a really time-consuming hassle. As you want the dish mount platform to be level, and it sits within a curved saucer.

It's not... difficult. But it's a really time-consuming hassle. As you want the dish mount platform to be level, and it sits within a curved saucer.

Ive been out of the modelling gane for awhile, but when I saw these Bandai models i had to get back in.
Just ordered a new airbrush and compressor as well.
The model or the custom dish hasnt arrived yet but ill look at it and figure out a solution...this should be good practice.

Any other advice?

Wow!
Geeat thread.

Thanks very much DS

Yes the turret for TFA Falcon is mounted on a platform under the hull....just like the original 5 foot model, although it has a nice ring on the hull surface to tidy up the opening:
B6DzbZvIQAE0zvm.png

Dish_zps75dd0e6d.jpg

So to get the Shapeways part to fit, cutting the original turret away is necessary,.....I also removed the new ring from the hull surface....making sure to remove the raised ring only,...not cutting down into the hull,....you dont want the diameter of the hole being too large.....I also continued the pattern of the hull plates,...really you are trying to emulate that the dish base comes out through the hull....not mounted on it like the 32"

5c959baf-d287-4d8e-8885-685940db658e_zpstmxlcib7.jpg

I used a wheel from my spares box,....shaving down one side of the wheel to create a basin for the base to rest in

Thanks again for your comment

John

So you have to construct your own mount?
Styrene?

If you can find the link to my build, it's pretty explanatory.

I just cut out the old one, then glued a piece of styrene on the back. Then I sanded the bottom of the shapeways mount on an angle to fit with the curve and glued it on

One more question for you guys-

Some images ive seen of the Falcon have it with a light grey base coat.
However some also show a warm light grey.

Slightly yellowed.
Whats the consenus on this?

One more question for you guys-

Some images ive seen of the Falcon have it with a light grey base coat.
However some also show a warm light grey.

Slightly yellowed.
Imho.

Black primer.

Then use Tamiya as-20 (rattle can) overtop.

It might not look right, but after some oil spot washes, it will look bang on.

Yeah, i was going to start with a primer (couldbt decide in black or grey, but astroboy suggests black so Ill give it a go), then light grey coat, then painging the darker grey panels then the colored markings followed by rust and the dark grey scorching.

However , i was mainly curious about the color of the main light grey body.
does the actual model have a sepia tint to the grey or is it just grey.

Some photos show it grey and other show a slight yellowing.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back