The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

Played "Life is Strange". Not a fan of story-driven games - I need to mash buttons and jump around like Hit-Girl machine-gunning peeps in the face - but this one was really well done. Super kick to the feels. Playing it again now making different choices to see what else can happen. Really good game - a heck of a ride. Highly recommended.

Quoted for the truth :)
I definitely need to finish Life is Strange. A good game, even though I am so not a fan of quick-time events/button mashing

Another thing I wish they would quit doing in video games is nerfing invisibility. In both Deus Ex games (recent ones) you get a cloak, but it doesn't work very long. It works longer if you stay still, but if you walk or run it's too limited. Of course NPCs can walk around all day with it on. I know they do it for balance, but all games have done this. Alien Vs. Predator 1 & 2, Crysis, Deus Ex (HR & MD), etc. Figure out a way to limit it without breaking in game realism. No military is going to make a cloak that you can only use for 30 secs!

At least keep things consistent. Imagine a superman film where one second he gets his power from the sun, 5 mins later he gets his power from Kryptonite :wacko

I just bought Life is Strange, not normally my type of game but it was the special edition for 21.00 new so I figured it was worth it. I wish JRPGs would stop having you do multiple play thrus of games to get a single trophy. Also what on earth was Namco smoking when they designed Tales of Symphonia 2? They totally changed everything compared to other games in the series and not for the better.

How do you guys feel about the Nintendo Switch? I can't wait for Breath of the Wild, it's going to be an amazing game.

A system with a wide variety of potential muddled by business/culture shenanigans. I love the idea of portability with games console style games with the ease of using a controller scheme that you can with another person right besides you without coming off like you need more accessories. But Nintendo still hasn't grown up enough to understand the value of what they've got. There is still no account based system that keeps track of your purchases, Virtual Console is still a sad joke, "1, 2 Switch" is a borderline offense by not only calling itself a party game (Two-Player only mini-games), but also being a full priced game sold separately from the system.

The shrugs definitely outweigh the cheers on this one, but I'm still hopeful things will turn out ok. Again, just 'ok'.

Anyone here play Wolfenstein: The New Order? I got it on sale or for free a while back and finished playing it a few weeks ago and had an absolute blast playing, it's by far the best shooter that I've played in a long time. There's no multi-player option, which is no big deal to me, because the devs wanted to focus on the single player experience and it paid off in spades. The story, along with game play are incredible and the animation and character designs are amazing, especially the animation. I used to think that Bioware did modelling and animation very well but Wolfenstein has them beat by a mile, I'm playing Mass Effect 3 right now and because of Wolfenstein I'm having a hard time getting over ME2's somewhat awkward animation when the characters are just standing around talking and the mouth flapping speech animation. In short, if you like shooters and want to play one with a great story and not a lot of BS then definitely get Wolfenstein: The New Order, it's well worth it.

I got the special super edition of it and was surprised how good it was, they made a digital prequel called Old Blood or something that is supposed to be good. The special crate edition has a Panzerhund statue and all sorts of stuff that ties in like intel reports and stuff. Sadly it hasn't gotten any cheaper or i'd suggest folks get that version if they're into statues and such. Apparently a lot of Nintendo's Switch launch games are digital titles which i have no interest in given it only has a 32gb drive on it. Jeyl: not to mention what Nintendo is charging for controllers for it. A PS4 style controller is 90.00 and it's just as bad for more of the normal controllers. The wii controllers were dirt cheap out the gate so people bought tons of them to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got Wolfenstein: New Order in the last Steam sale, but haven't played it yet. My nephew played some of it and said it was really cool.

My new gripe, which I haven't personally experienced before, is DLC that is just cut content. I know people have complained about it, but usually it's something like the Mass Effect 3: From Ashes, which was a day one DLC that people complained was cut content. I don't think that was. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's Desperate Measures is exactly that. Yeah it was free, but it's obviously a cut mission. Then all of their DLC so far the game resets all your augs and inventories instead of continuing post game. So you're nerfed at the beginning of each DLC. I usually play it nonlethal, but in these DLCs I'm forced to kill people because I can't get ammo for my stun gun, tranq rifle, or biocells for my augs! Then it's not really Deus Ex because it limits your options. Plus the freaking game just ends and half the stuff isn't even tied up at the end!

I got Wolfenstein: New Order in the last Steam sale, but haven't played it yet. My nephew played some of it and said it was really cool.

My new gripe, which I haven't personally experienced before, is DLC that is just cut content. I know people have complained about it, but usually it's something like the Mass Effect 3: From Ashes, which was a day one DLC that people complained was cut content. I don't think that was. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's Desperate Measures is exactly that. Yeah it was free, but it's obviously a cut mission. Then all of their DLC so far the game resets all your augs and inventories instead of continuing post game. So you're nerfed at the beginning of each DLC. I usually play it nonlethal, but in these DLCs I'm forced to kill people because I can't get ammo for my stun gun, tranq rifle, or biocells for my augs! Then it's not really Deus Ex because it limits your options. Plus the freaking game just ends and half the stuff isn't even tied up at the end!

They pulled that crap with the last Deus Ex too, the only DLC was literally a mission they cut out. It's happening more and more and a lot more often it's already on the disc in some form like the ME 3 dlc with the alien you recruit. The problem is the game industry is now ruled by the publishers, it used to be the companies made their stuff in house and gave them time but now there's so much "competition" in their eyes that everything has to be sent to market asap. The internet doesn't help as it lets them halfass stuff and fix it with patches. Square used to make so much stuff in house and now it's all outside studios doing it and not getting any support.

Edit: So there's one last trophy/achievement in Nuka world that's a real pain where you need 100,000 tickets in the arcade and people have found creative ways around it including just making a machine to earn them in a settlement but then i saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kAB3T9TUbQ That's just insane and i bet it only took about 20 minutes to earn them all.

Last edited:
Anyone here started playing Conan Exiles yet? It's the new Conan themed survival game from Funcom and, from what I've read, it's similar to ARK but no dinosaurs. I like Conan and I enjoyed the MMO from years back so I broke my rule on not getting games until they're on sale for cheap and got this one even it's only on early access. So far it's interesting, I've never played a survival game before so there's a bit of a learning curve for me and so far I've died once of thirst, at least once from starvation, and twice from mobs and the sucky thing is that unless you craft a bedroll you lose all of your gear and respawn at the starting point whenever you die, so needless to say my progress in the game has been slow. This game definitely seems to be aimed at co-op because it seems kind of difficult to solo. Anyone want to start an RPF server or clan?

Interesting article about game nostalgia: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/29/the-blue-fields-of-gaming-nostalgia

The one guy mentioned going to Babbage's and it was the same with me. They always had a bunch of cool PC games that I'd never heard of. I got games from there and a store that was called Egghead Software (not sure if it was national or not). I just remember being blown away by DOOM, Dark Forces, and TIE Fighter. Around that same time I got a new modern PC (first Pentium going from a really old PC that barely ran Monkey Island in EGA color). I remember playing the TIE Fighter demo that was timed and about all you could do is fly around and see a Blockade Runner. I also had the demo for X-COM and that was just awesome. It seemed like there were new genres of games coming out all over the place, unlike now where it's just new variations of old themes. Not necessarily bad, but a different feel.

I remember the old demos they used to give away for the PC. I think the magazine was PC gamer if I remember right. But I do remember the mascot was a monkey/coconut named appropriately, Coconut Monkey. Anyone remember that?
Those demos are what got me first hooked on Warcraft 2, and then Starcraft. Fun stuff.

My introduction to video games was Pac-Man and Space Invaders and Galaga and Tempest and Asteroids and Donkey Kong and Tailgunner (my fave) at the local pizza-joint/arcade in the little Colorado town I grew up in.
Then my Dad bought an Atari 2600 for the house, but it was his, not ours, and we had to ask permission to play it (it was a BIG DEAL in those days when my Dad rented a VCR and some movies. We'll never forget the day he brought home "Trancers"). Our first game? PONG!
All my friends had Nintendos, which I played at their houses, but I never had one. I logged many, many, many hours playing Mario Brothers and Duck Hunt and Zelda and whatever that Star Wars game was at friends' houses.
Then I was introduced to Wolfenstein, then DOOM (the be-all, end-all of video games), then Monkey Island and Duke Nukem, then Quake, then TOMB RAIDER with a girlfriend on a first gen console (was it Playstation?). Oh, yah... and DARK FORCES! (somewhere in there).
Short story long, I grew up gaming. I guess I'm among the first generation of kids that grew up gaming.

Game stores these days are nothing like they used to be and it's partly because of the net and partly because the game companies just aren't putting out as many games as they did up until the ps2 era. I'm playing Mad Max for the xbox one right now and honestly it just feels like a slightly better remake of the NES game i have on a shelf, so much wasted potential.

I remember the old demos they used to give away for the PC. I think the magazine was PC gamer if I remember right. But I do remember the mascot was a monkey/coconut named appropriately, Coconut Monkey. Anyone remember that?
Those demos are what got me first hooked on Warcraft 2, and then Starcraft. Fun stuff.

Yeah it was PC Gamer. I remember getting an early incarnation, called something else, and they said they were changing to a new name with a game demo disk. It was such a cool thing back then, even though the magazine was like $7 or $8 at that time. That's where I got the X-COM demo I mentioned, on a 3 1/2" floppy disk. It was like a whole level if I recall correctly. I immediately subscribed and kept it until around 2013 because most stuff was online by that time.

They called it a floppy disk, but it was pretty hard plastic...did that mean something else then? I remember the big giant floppys.
Those things took so much space yet had so little space on them. Couldn't even hold 1 song on them.

TBT, baby!

-MJ

Attachments

• IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
I'm kicking myself for getting rid of all my console demo discs from the 90s. I had Playstation Underground for years and tossed them all when they should be on a shelf in my collection, now they're worth like 30.00 a volume.

I'm kicking myself for getting rid of all my console demo discs from the 90s. I had Playstation Underground for years and tossed them all when they should be on a shelf in my collection, now they're worth like 30.00 a volume.

Really?

Wow. I have a ton of PS2 demo discs! I should list em . Hmmmm . . .

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back