ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso - open build thread!

Just wanted to chime in quickly and say there is some fantastic work being displayed on this thread, it's great to see so much love for one of my new favourite characters in the Star Wars universe! Hope to see lots of Jyns on the convention circuit this year! :)

@Chrononaut, I remember reading your post and I tried prying the buckles loose with a screwdriver, but all that did was start to bend the buckles. Maybe I shouldn't be worried about that, but I sort of overpaid for these ski boots and would like to try first a method that doesn't do any damage to these precious buckles.

Don't judge me, but if I can't get any farther with pre-drilling and then drilling, I'm also considering just taking them to a ski repair shop where they have the equipment to replace/remove buckles. Throwing that out there as a tip for anyone who may not have power tools at their disposal and doesn't mind throwing some money at the problem. Also, a ski shop near a family member offers a $200 trade-in on ski boots in ANY condition! So anyone not sure of what to do with the ski boots they're destroying for their Jyn costumes? Check your local ski shops for trade-in deals.
Huh, interesting. I scratched one buckle slightly when the screwdriver slipped, but mine didn't bend at all. (and holy crap, that's quite the trade-in!)

I ended up cutting up the ski boot around the buckles with a dremel and a metal-cutting bit. It sucked. Plastic liquefied then instantly cooled, but once I got them free, it was easier to punch out the rivets with a drill press then when attached to the boot.

I'm thinking about trying to cast mine to offer, but I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do the two-part mold; I've never done a two-part before.

We finally finished our Belt. I think we managed to track down the correct hardware for it:

jynerso.jpgjynerso_front_LRG.jpgjynerso_holster1_LRG.jpgjynerso_side_LRG.jpgjynerso_back_LRG.jpg

We finally finished our Belt. I think we managed to track down the correct hardware for it:

View attachment 698044View attachment 698046View attachment 698047View attachment 698048View attachment 698045

Looking good! I bought one of your Rey belts last year and I love it! You guys do lovely work.

I ordered some of the dark brown 1.9oz nylon ripstop from ripstopbytheroll.com. It drapes really nicely, much better than the crunchy ripstop I got at Joann's. I took some pictures for color comparison (one inside and one outside). I'm ordering swatches of Kona cotton in hope of finding a color that matches the scarf closely (I'm feeling lazy about dyeing things) and then I might try waxing it. I'll report back if I'm at all successful.

20170115_120258.jpg20170115_120557.jpg

LtCupcake - the ripstop fabric I got at Joann's was much better after I washed it. Before, it was so stiff I could barely fold it up, now it's crisp but much more workable. I think I just threw it in on "Delicate" with the cotton I got, then put it in the dryer on "Air Dry" (no heat).

Last edited by a moderator:
Progress! Following the perfect advice given to me, I successfully removed the buckles! Using the Dremel to get the hole started was the key. I used the cone-shaped grinder that it turned out I already had, to make a little crater in the rivet for the drill to sit. Then I got out the drill, an 18V DeWalt, using first a 1/8" metal bit. (Using a metal bit and eye protection is also super important.) Once the hole was deep, I switched to the 3/16" bit until the top of the rivet just flew off or became weak enough that I could finally wedge a screwdriver underneath it and pry it off and, done! Exactly like you guys said! The first hole took about 20 minutes of going slooooow and figuring it out, once I got that one off, the next three took about 2 minutes. THANK YOU SO MUCH TO @smithjohnj, division 6, @verdaera, @Chrononaut and @kristen jones for their fantastic tips!

IMG_20170115_202011.jpgIMG_20170115_203148.jpgIMG_20170115_201153.jpgIMG_20170115_200913.jpg

Also, I got a roll of that plastic necklace cording in the kid's craft section at Joann's I'm thinking if I superglued together could look really good as the vest tubing. It was only a couple bucks for something like 60 feet. Way cheaper than leather cord or speaker wire or that cut-by-the-foot stuff at Home Depot, and way more flexible like I imagine the actual tubing on the costume is.

I ordered some of the dark brown 1.9oz nylon ripstop from ripstopbytheroll.com. It drapes really nicely, much better than the crunchy ripstop I got at Joann's.

Just wondering (since I haven't ordered the samples from there, yet and they have three or four possible browns in the 1.9 oz) is the ripstop grid more or less pronounced than on the Joann ripstop? (The Ripstop by the roll fabric is uncallendared while the Joann stuff is probably is both calendared -- squished between hot rollers to smooth the weave leaving one side shiny, the other matte and overall crispier feeling -- and has a coating applied.)

I ordered some of the dark brown 1.9oz nylon ripstop from ripstopbytheroll.com. It drapes really nicely, much better than the crunchy ripstop I got at Joann's. I took some pictures for color comparison (one inside and one outside). I'm ordering swatches of Kona cotton in hope of finding a color that matches the scarf closely (I'm feeling lazy about dyeing things) and then I might try waxing it. I'll report back if I'm at all successful.

View attachment 698468View attachment 698469

I also bought the 1.9oz ripstop in dark brown! It's gorgeous, though I was afraid it would be too dark. I also ordered swatches of other nylon colors from ripstopbytheroll, and the coyote 1.9oz ripstop nylon might be closer to what I was looking for. I've been trying to find a cotton twill that matches the coyote or dark brown ripstop colors. I'm waiting on swatches from Organic Cotton now. Let me know if you have any luck, and I'll let you know if I find a match too!

What do you do if you have about zero construction skill but really want to cosplay as Jyn?
Are there any costumer's who have good replicas?
My main worry is just the vest really? Is anybody working on any vests to sell?

This is pretty much the boat I'm in right now. I am only just learning to sew, and I've very overwhelmed by the work I've got ahead of me. I purchased a costume off aliexpress and detailed a breakdown of the construction and quality here, but I haven't received any further input about it. My plan is to use the purchased costume as a reference point and start redoing the pieces as I learn to sew.

Wanted to say that, thanks to this site, and everybody's dedication, I'm starting to get really excited about Jyn stuff coming together! Sadly, my contribution can only ever be beating my head uselessly against a wall. But stuff's starting to come in, and I'm too pumped to not share photos!

IMG_1885.JPGIMG_1886.JPGIMG_1883.JPG

Jacket: Columbia
Vest: Columbia (we're going to redo)
Belt & Holster: Legendary Costume Works
Gun: username 'wondersquid'
Boots: Frye Veronica in Dk Brown Stone Wash
Not pictured: Wig from Wigisfashion

Coming up next: buying gloves and modding them and the boots!

Attachments

• IMG_1883.JPG
    IMG_1883.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1886.JPG
    IMG_1886.JPG
    984.7 KB · Views: 117
Ok, went to see the movie again today. Here's some notes:
- Jyn's shirt - there might be a seam on the collar that lines up with the shoulder seam? (also, finally saw what people think might be the waist dart)
- Scarf - it finally occurred to me why that seam in the middle might exist: if the scarf was cut on the bias, you would need more than one piece to get the length. This would also help with how the scarf drapes.
- Cassian's boot flap is not fully lined - it's lined only on the outer half. The lining is only attached on the outside edges and is cut straight across; the stitching goes all the way around the flap. I didn't see what kind of attachment it had to the outside of the boot. It makes kind of a hidden pocket, which I suppose could hide a magnet closure or something, but it did not appear to be glued down to the top of the flap. I suppose there could also be a hook on the boot that the flap slips over, but again, I didn't see it. The lining ends probably somewhere over the laces of the boot when closed.

What do you do if you have about zero construction skill but really want to cosplay as Jyn?
Are there any costumer's who have good replicas?
My main worry is just the vest really? Is anybody working on any vests to sell?

One good place to start is by going to thrift shops. You can quite often find something similar which can be more easily modded than sewing from scratch. Taking things apart can also help with learning how to sew. Now, obviously, you won't find anything 100% accurate, but sometimes you can get close. And always try multiple thrift stores multiple times...the rule of costuming is "You can have it cheap, you can have it perfect, you can have it fast...but you can only have two of the three." ;)

if the scarf was cut on the bias, you would need more than one piece to get the length. This would also help with how the scarf drapes.

I also believe the scarf is cut on the bias and pieced together. The first picture in this set shows a 45 degree angle cutting across the scarf, even through the folded hem.
scarf.jpg

I have been working to put together a screen accurate pattern, but maybe someone will beat me to i

This is pretty much the boat I'm in right now. I am only just learning to sew, and I've very overwhelmed by the work I've got ahead of me. I purchased a costume off aliexpress and detailed a breakdown of the construction and quality here, but I haven't received any further input about it. My plan is to use the purchased costume as a reference point and start redoing the pieces as I learn to sew.

I purchased a full costume from eBay for about $120 with shipping, and it ended up being just what I needed at the time. I have the skills to sew, but I was in a situation where I didn't have the space nor the time to drape patterns, so I took a gamble and did the one thing I never needed to do before. I'm not sure what the Aliexpress costume is like, but I was shocked at how good the costume was that I purchased.
Here are the basic modifications I was originally going to do (because I'm now just making everything from scratch):
Line vest in red
Add M60 hooks and appropriate cables
Take out vertical machine stitching and replace with yellow hand-stitching
Add bottom communicator

Dye pants

Even if you can't sew, I strongly suggest getting a leather hide or vegan leather hide and cutting a belt. It's actually easier than it looks, and if your costume came with a holster, it will suffice as a good pattern.

The top was fine and actually made out of a natural looking fabric.

Ok, went to see the movie again today. Here's some notes:
- Jyn's shirt - there might be a seam on the collar that lines up with the shoulder seam?

I agree-I posted about that seam a few weeks ago.

EDIT: Since my original post in July there have been more detailed photos and the release of the Visual Guide. What I call the Code Cylinder here and in other post is now identified as a Crozo 2-MAL personal comlink. There are a few changes required to improve the attach diagrams but there are still some unknowns. Perhaps the release of the video or details from the hero props if they come out will provide the final answers.

Since Yutani Exec and spectreseven have been good enough to add some important information to the mix I decided to use their additions to produce some diagrams of the Rogue One Code Cylinder. There is one "blind" spot where we do not have complete information but I believe this combines all of the information as it currently stands. As always I am looking for other to challenge any and all of my assumptions.

View attachment 649960
View attachment 649961

Looking at the work you've done Smithjohnj this item on etsy seems close for those not so skilled in prop fabrication (like me!) - https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/490536690/sale-jyn-
erso-comlink-crozo-2-mal-kit?ga_order=price_desc&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=jyn%20erso&ref=sr_gallery_16

Is there any info on what the second item in her pockets is? I thought it looked close to one of these? http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Code_cylinder

Looking at the work you've done Smithjohnj this item on etsy seems close for those not so skilled in prop fabrication (like me!) - https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/490536690/sale-jyn-
erso-comlink-crozo-2-mal-kit?ga_order=price_desc&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=jyn%20erso&ref=sr_gallery_16

Traywick Designs is a fantastic Etsy shop! The store owner is a total sweetheart and they do a wonderful job with their props. I highly recommend them. I bought her badge a few months ago from them, and I also bought the gun/tonfa kit, which was on sale at Christmas. They use plastic that isn't harmful when sanded.

Also, I last night I finally received several swatches from Organic Cotton for the vest, and this is the nutmeg colored cotton twill with the 1.9oz Ripstop By the Roll ripstop nylon in dark brown. Two of these photos were taken in natural light outside, and one is taken inside, which shows how close the colors are. Still, they aren't perfectly matched as the ripstop nylon has more gray in it and the nutmeg has more red, but the nutmeg cotton twill + dark brown nylon is the best combo I've seen yet. What do you guys think?

20170118_163351.jpg20170118_163445.jpg20170118_163635.jpg

20170118_163351.jpg

20170118_163445.jpg

20170118_163635.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back