Doctor Strange

I think you misread it. It's actually worse if you do it because it's already very trippy on its own. Benedict himself said that "If any of you have had some Mushrooms, I feel very bad for you."

"More mature than its predecessors and the first blockbuster of the modern superhero era ideally viewed on a magic mushroom trip."

"Doctor Strange is basically a reboot of Iron Man, only with a lot more prettier things to look at while you're stoned."

I don't think I miss read them........

I am mildly amused that more than a few critics are rolling out the old hallucinogenic viewing experience trope. Last time I heard that was for the ending of 2001.

Last edited:
"More mature than its predecessors and the first blockbuster of the modern superhero era ideally viewed on a magic mushroom trip."

"Doctor Strange is basically a reboot of Iron Man, only with a lot more prettier things to look at while you're stoned."

"

I don't think I miss read it.

I am mildly amused that more than a few critics are rolling out the old hallucinogenic viewing experience trope. Last time I heard that was for the ending of 2001.
You know that's a tongue-in-cheek statement, right? The point is only that it's very "trippy." I don't think anyone really thinks it's a good idea to see this on hallucinogens.

i don't know why, b ut this one just doesn't interest me as much as the other franchises for some reason.

and i know i'm going to have problems with a middle aged white woman as 'the ancient one'..will probably take me out of the movie every time she's on screen.

i'll probably see it anyway though... marvel has not let me down yet.

"Controversies around changing the Ancient One from the comics aside, Swinton’s ethereal, unique presence feels right at home here, playing this serene yet oh-so powerful character. "

NeilT I JUST KNOW I am going to have problems with a certain individual if they continue to fill this thread (like they did the Ghostbusters ) with opinions like this. Go see, the film AND THEN perhaps I'll listen to your point of view . You've already stated this before , I'm tired of reading it.

You know that's a tongue-in-cheek statement, right? The point is only that it's very "trippy." I don't think anyone really thinks it's a good idea to see this on hallucinogens.

Of course I do. Same as I don't advise anyone to go to see a film drunk, or with a heavy cold, a crying baby or glued to their mobile. But I guarantee if people keep putting this kind of statement in the general reviews out there on the internet ,some idiots will try to do so. Its the half term holidays next week so I don't doubt some teenagers who are susceptible to this kind of impressionable stupidity (like the copying of the dressing of a terrify clown craze) will think its cool to try and do it.

Last edited:
"Controversies around changing the Ancient One from the comics aside, Swinton’s ethereal, unique presence feels right at home here, playing this serene yet oh-so powerful character. "

NeilT I JUST KNOW I am going to have problems with a certain individual if they continue to fill this thread (like they did the Ghostbusters ) with opinions like this. Go see, the film AND THEN perhaps I'll listen to your point of view . You've already stated this before , I'm tired of reading it.

that's where the ignore button comes in friend. i have no problem if you use it.

Considering how big a fan of comics Peter Laird is..

I can't help but wonder if THEIR Ancient one was based off of marvels ancient one of the same name.

tumblr_nqzfl4asnZ1uz5fu0o1_1280.jpg

Of course I do. Same as I don't advise anyone to go to see a film drunk, or with a heavy cold, a crying baby or glued to their mobile. But I guarantee if people keep putting this kind of statement in the general reviews out there on the internet ,some idiots will try to do so. Its the half term holidays next week so I don't doubt some teenagers who are susceptible to this kind of impressionable stupidity (like the copying of the dressing of a terrify clown craze) will think its cool to try and do it.
And I predict there will be at least one guy who tries this and ends up in the news.

"A bizarre and beautiful detour on the Marvel journey, which culminates in a mind-bending, expectation-inverting final act. Not to be watched under the influence"

The Empire review has at least taken the responsible line with this!!!!

Really good reviews in general, very high RT score. Everybody loves the visuals (mind blowing and beautiful) ,the casting and the way this kicks in a whole other dimension(s) to the Marvel universe. The only criticism seems to be levelled at the story, but being an origin one, it is bound to have similarities to a lot of comic book heros.

Tonight for me. Will report back but Im sure it will be a solid 7.5 or more/10 with some great moments to babble about in spoiler tags! :thumbsup Reviews are sounding like its a solid addition to the MCU.

i don't know why, b ut this one just doesn't interest me as much as the other franchises for some reason.

and i know i'm going to have problems with a middle aged white woman as 'the ancient one'..will probably take me out of the movie every time she's on screen.

i'll probably see it anyway though... marvel has not let me down yet.

In a movie about magic that states in the trailer their ability to remake, bend, create reality, the Ancient One could be ANYONE/THING/ it wants others to see it as. Maybe it is Tilda Swinton, maybe it turns out to be some kind of big lizard...

In a movie about magic that states in the trailer their ability to remake, bend, create reality, the Ancient One could be ANYONE/THING/ it wants others to see it as. Maybe it is Tilda Swinton, maybe it turns out to be some kind of big lizard...

It acknowledges she's of Celtic origin

J

Given that this is out now, shouldnt there be a post release thread so we can post spoiler stuff?

Good film, slow build up though,so far the 1st marvel film my boy had no interest in seeing.

Tonight for me. Will report back but Im sure it will be a solid 7.5 or more/10 with some great moments to babble about in spoiler tags! :thumbsup Reviews are sounding like its a solid addition to the MCU.

Edit: Forgot there will be a reaction thread sorry!

Disappointed. Which is gutting. Not in the sense that it was a bad film, not at all bad. But even with normal expectations, I just came out underwhelmed.

There were some laugh moments sprinkled throughout. Some good action scenes. A few emotional moments but nothing particularly noteworthy I dont think.

I didn't mind the slow build up so much, but that feeling lingered - I kept waiting for the film to enter "great film" category...and it never did for me.

I thought the imagination with some of the fast trippy visuals was great, but the imagination in some of the rest of the film was lacking. Considering they kept talking about endless multiverses, the power that they harness and bending reality etc...it was very basic in the real world. The music, I swear it sounded almost exactly like a few mash ups of other things, such as the newer Star Trek films, my fiance reckons she could hear notes of Harry Potter in there too. That could just be me of course.

Spoiler thoughts below.

I understood Kaecilius (had to look that up, couldnt remember his name) as the "conduit" villain. But I felt nothing for him, except for perhaps a few moments when he was in the body trap. Very underdeveloped, which would be fine if the "main" villain was. But wow...if you honestly think about it, that was some Fantastic Four 2 Galactus stuff. It looked so much better than that, and it was visually lovely. But that was it? I'm not in any way trying to say that this film is on the same level as FF2. It is better. But the main villain.... I don't know if Dormammu is supposed to have more intelligence or be charismatic in any way, and if not...fair enough I suppose, if thats the point of him. But a massive, seemingly straightforward talking head surrounded by colours and smoke dealing with someone that can make hard light constructs...Green Lantern?

And whilst I also understood exactly what they went for with Mordo...that didn't feel tragic, or a believable turn of events at the end. On paper, it probably works. Is steadfast, has his belief tested, loses faith.....goes bad. I just didn't think it worked well on screen. I enjoyed the performance up until the "Ancient One" reveal...never quite hit the high notes with his feelings of betrayal.

Cumberbatch as Strange...he's good. His accent seemed a bit wobbly sometimes. And literally it was like watching House getting his mysticism on sometimes. Not a bad thing. Embodied the ******* turns good guy well, but to save the day....reverses time? You know that thing we all ignore but hate about the 1978 Superman movie!!
Helping out his own operation from within the Astral/physical plane - good. Unique!

I enjoyed the Ancient One, but overall, a seemingly super basic plot line. We never find out much more about her backstory. Has one of the best/beautiful emotional moments though, which was excellent with the lightning, the helicopter, and stretching her last moment into a thousand in the Astral plane.

Rachel McAdams was good - a well utilised role even though it was minor and she sold the emotion and shock and acceptance of everything quite well.

Overall, I enjoyed all the trimmings, but the story was very basic and felt like it was being spelled (lol) out to us in neat little number boxes. My most enjoyable parts were when Strange was training (which was interesting/amusing and I think they could have done much more with this), when Strange started getting his badass on, which was cool (the floating up once the cape catches him was a nice little hero moment), and whilst I wasn't keen on the reversing time stuff, I thought the effects with it, and the way he used it as a gauntlet etc was very, very cool. And the entirety of the New York Sanctum was sublime...a magical museum safe house doubling as a defense against the multiverse that I would kill to go and have a look around. Can't wait for someone to have a go at making the Cloak of Levitation glass case prop! haha.

Overall, a 6.5/10 for me, definitely entertaining, but nowhere close to some of the other Marvel films in my opinion. If I had to choose between Ant man and this, it would be a toss up, because both have some unique ideas, a basic plot, some good effects and some good humour. If I had to choose between Iron Man and this, or Winter Soldier and this etc...you get the picture. Works well as an origin for the GA though I would think, and the post credit scenes does nicely fast forward us to interactions in the MCU, but the full humour angle was a bit weird.

I may go again later in the week to see how a second viewing sits, but I don't quite feel like I "have" to or want to yet.

Last edited:
Edit: Forgot there will be a reaction thread sorry!

Disappointed. Which is gutting. Not in the sense that it was a bad film, not at all bad. But even with normal expectations, I just came out underwhelmed.

There were some laugh moments sprinkled throughout. Some good action scenes. A few emotional moments but nothing particularly noteworthy I dont think.

I didn't mind the slow build up so much, but that feeling lingered - I kept waiting for the film to enter "great film" category...and it never did for me.

I thought the imagination with some of the fast trippy visuals was great, but the imagination in some of the rest of the film was lacking. Considering they kept talking about endless multiverses, the power that they harness and bending reality etc...it was very basic in the real world. The music, I swear it sounded almost exactly like a few mash ups of other things, such as the newer Star Trek films, my fiance reckons she could hear notes of Harry Potter in there too. That could just be me of course.

Spoiler thoughts below.

I understood Kaecilius (had to look that up, couldnt remember his name) as the "conduit" villain. But I felt nothing for him, except for perhaps a few moments when he was in the body trap. Very underdeveloped, which would be fine if the "main" villain was. But wow...if you honestly think about it, that was some Fantastic Four 2 Galactus stuff. It looked so much better than that, and it was visually lovely. But that was it? I'm not in any way trying to say that this film is on the same level as FF2. It is better. But the main villain.... I don't know if Dormammu is supposed to have more intelligence or be charismatic in any way, and if not...fair enough I suppose, if thats the point of him. But a massive, seemingly straightforward talking head surrounded by colours and smoke dealing with someone that can make hard light constructs...Green Lantern?

And whilst I also understood exactly what they went for with Mordo...that didn't feel tragic, or a believable turn of events at the end. On paper, it probably works. Is steadfast, has his belief tested, loses faith.....goes bad. I just didn't think it worked well on screen. I enjoyed the performance up until the "Ancient One" reveal...never quite hit the high notes with his feelings of betrayal.

Cumberbatch as Strange...he's good. His accent seemed a bit wobbly sometimes. And literally it was like watching House getting his mysticism on sometimes. Not a bad thing. Embodied the ******* turns good guy well, but to save the day....reverses time? You know that thing we all ignore but hate about the 1978 Superman movie!!
Helping out his own operation from within the Astral/physical plane - good. Unique!

I enjoyed the Ancient One, but overall, a seemingly super basic plot line. We never find out much more about her backstory. Has one of the best/beautiful emotional moments though, which was excellent with the lightning, the helicopter, and stretching her last moment into a thousand in the Astral plane.

Rachel McAdams was good - a well utilised role even though it was minor and she sold the emotion and shock and acceptance of everything quite well.

Overall, I enjoyed all the trimmings, but the story was very basic and felt like it was being spelled (lol) out to us in neat little number boxes. My most enjoyable parts were when Strange was training (which was interesting/amusing and I think they could have done much more with this), when Strange started getting his badass on, which was cool (the floating up once the cape catches him was a nice little hero moment), and whilst I wasn't keen on the reversing time stuff, I thought the effects with it, and the way he used it as a gauntlet etc was very, very cool. And the entirety of the New York Sanctum was sublime...a magical museum safe house doubling as a defense against the multiverse that I would kill to go and have a look around. Can't wait for someone to have a go at making the Cloak of Levitation glass case prop! haha.

Overall, a 6.5/10 for me, definitely entertaining, but nowhere close to some of the other Marvel films in my opinion. If I had to choose between Ant man and this, it would be a toss up, because both have some unique ideas, a basic plot, some good effects and some good humour. If I had to choose between Iron Man and this, or Winter Soldier and this etc...you get the picture. Works well as an origin for the GA though I would think, and the post credit scenes does nicely fast forward us to interactions in the MCU, but the full humour angle was a bit weird.

I may go again later in the week to see how a second viewing sits, but I don't quite feel like I "have" to or want to yet.

Given that this is out now, shouldnt there be a post release thread so we can post spoiler stuff?

Good film, slow build up though,so far the 1st marvel film my boy had no interest in seeing.

There is :

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=268696
J

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back