Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Thanks Guy's :)

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been a little frustrated with this part.

I haven't been happy with the way this part is coming together & I've taken a step backwards to start over, the clay & MDF thing wasn't working :(

The goal is the same & should pretty much look the same but I'll be approaching it differently.

I'll update with some pic's when I've got some progress :)

what was the problem with it?

Building it into a soft rubber mould was causing it all to move a bit. I cut the MDF the right size but it kept lifting & the bottom needs to be flat, I don't want the cast rocking once its all assembled.
I could have removed the MDF a piece at a time & shaved a bit off but I wasn't happy with it.

I'm attempting a new possibly simpler method. Having removed the clay & MDF I've just filled the mould with foam & let it set. Today I'll attempt to cut the bottom flat & then carve the shape into it. If it works out ok I'll just need to seal it & pop it back in the mould to make the final part for this mould :)

sounds logical:) maybe its also a good idea to let the construction under the base be a little more concave to the inside, so just the edge of the base have contact. always difficult to mace a completely accurate level. also the surfaces the base will stand at arent always be 100% perfect so the inner construction could cause wiggling.

sounds logical:) maybe its also a good idea to let the construction under the base be a little more concave to the inside, so just the edge of the base have contact. always difficult to mace a completely accurate level. also the surfaces the base will stand at arent always be 100% perfect so the inner construction could cause wiggling.

The plan with this part has always been to have as much of it in contact with the surface its resting on as possible in an effort to distribute the weight as much as possible :)

yes, of course the weight is a good point:) hopefully it works. my experiences after casting was always: model-absolutely exact, after casting far away from that:) but that was always with the bronze or aluminum casting, so the heat makes things deforming a bit always. its always a not so fun work to true of the bottom.

you could make a rigid wall with mold release wax, without using silicone rubber. With moving parts and dowels with very draft angle, which can be detached from the assembly with threaded fasteners.

parete.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks DD :)
I had considered using just fibreglass but I have the silicone & I need to use it :)
I can build key's into the rubber that will lock it to the jacket so it doesn't droop.

I'm still not happy with how this going so I'm still re-thinking this, I'll get there.... eventually :)

Just read through the whole thread and can only say you are an inspiration. Amazing work and dedication, you must be very proud.

if you ever start selling these, count me in for one!

Best of luck!

Re: Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien) Its back on!

Hello Friend,
It's wonderful.

I hope that sooner or later you will be amazed us.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back