Nintendo is releasing a miniature NES with 30 built-in games

Im the same exact way. Guess we are what you call "diehard" fans. Hell I still go to swap meets and look for cartridges when I know I already have the playable game somewhere.
@Solo4114 Bionic Commando is one of the greatest games I have ever played. Did you play Bionic Commando Rearmed on the Xbox arcade a few years ago? He could jump!

Side note, when I was a kid, I didnt know that you were killing Hitler at the end of the game.

I have Re-armed, but never beat it. I should re-download it. I got stuck trying to complete some jumping thing to grab an item, and then just gave up and moved on to some other game. It's a good game, though.

I loved the original. I have two great memories of playing it.

One was at my friend Andy's house in his basement. We beat the game in a night (well, he did most of the work -- I didn't own a Nintendo so I never was all that good at the games), and listened to late 80s hair metal while we played. So, to me, the "soundtrack" to Bionic Commando should basically be the entirety of Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime and maybe a few songs off of Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood.

The other memory was when my friend Jesse came over to my place and brought his NES. We spent the morning playing, and were at the last part where you drop down this long shaft and have to fire your super bazooka into the cockpit of a helicopter. You get ONE shot at this, and if you miss it, the helicopter kills you. Just as we were about to do it, Jesse's dad came by to pick him up. We said "Just give us, like, 5 more minutes! This is the end boss!"

We missed the shot. Never beat the game (well, Jesse never did -- I'd beaten it with Andy and seen the "Kill Hitler" end).

I suspect they will do what Atari has done and release numerous versions with different games on each new one.

That's what I am hoping for as well. Colecovision has done this and Intellivision released their first mini console with 50 games last year, which I absolutely love.

Might seem like a waste but if I can find one cheap enough I wanna gut it and install a Pi with all the games if the factory software can't be modded.

Looks great. However....

I notice the conspicuous absence of:

- Bionic Commando
- Contra
- Super Star Wars games
- Golgo 13
- Metal Gear
- zapper-based games (e.g. Bayou Billy, Operation Wolf, Duck Hunt, etc.)

Same here. Bionic Commando and Contra were the first two games I ever beat. Contra was where I learned the Konami code!

I still have an old NES with all the games I need. I also have an NES emulator on my PC with more games than I need.

I too have a NES unit with games as well.

I was looking into doing this with a pi and this gamegear i'm too scared to repair lol. Apparently you can mod it to play anything old basically.

Well, I know there's some users that actually have done that, or have kept the original hardware and changed out the video portion of the system to include a modern LCD screen so that they can continue playing it (in fact, some of those same users have added a VGA out so they can hook them to their TVs and play them).

I still have my old one, but would jump on this. Mine is in great shape, but in classic style, I still have to push the power button like, 50 times, and blow in the cartridges...
From what I've read, that's all a pretty simple DIY fix of cleaning the copper contacts on the 10-pin cartridge connector. I've been meaning to do it on my old NES and play through some stuff.

On the Raspberry Pi/emulator thing, I've heard a few people talking about how the emulators don't quite get the timing and quirks of the old games. Has this been fixed lately? It would be really cool to get one set up, if so.

Yeah I'm amazed that so many 72 pin connectors are still being made aftermarket, that tells you how many units must still be working after 30 years.

No Pro Wrestling?

I'd consider this although I'm pretty consumed by Destiny ad Fallout 4. I can't imagine taking on old games that used to frustrate me to the point of breaking my original NES, mainly thanks to TMNT.

That thing is small and so cute. The nostalgia is strong with this one :p

Yeah I'm amazed that so many 72 pin connectors are still being made aftermarket, that tells you how many units must still be working after 30 years.

This December marks 24 years since I got my NES, with my very first video game ever: Super Mario Bros 3 :love tis' was love at first sight.
My machine works like a charm. 5 years ago I replaced the button mechanics so the controllers work just as good as they did the day I got it. Amazing technology. At least compared to crappy Xbox 360, nine of those broke down for me :facepalm

I still have my old one, but would jump on this. Mine is in great shape, but in classic style, I still have to push the power button like, 50 times, and blow in the cartridges...

Oh and the best, when you're an hour into a game, and suddenly a black line comes down the screen... then another... and another... as you rush to a save point.

Good times.

But that's what you get with an original...

So true and so classic:)

I was wondering that too, it's freaking identical to the 3 i have here at the house. I stopped buying them as every year it's the same 80 games, it's that way with the handheld too. Maybe they put a sd card slot in it? It's the 25th Anniversary of sonic so maybe that has something to do with it but it looks the same to me. The sd card slot would be good, the handheld has it so you can add more games and it runs and emulator. The one thing the sega has over nintendo is you can use your old genesis carts in the thing.

Edit: Moviefreak They updated that link you posted and admitted they'd been fooled, it is the same system that's out there already.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back