UPDATE Star Lord build (yes another one) post #17

grey matter

So, I fully intended to be Captain America this year for Halloween, but someone suggested that I be Star Lord, so I switched it up and decided to do that.

The Jacket

I decided to go with the short jacket like many others did. I ordered mine from cosplaysky.com. Ultimately I was very happy with it and the company worked well with me. The first one I ordered was a stock size that I decided would work based off of their size chart. It was way to short, way too wide, and the sleeves were too short as well. I contacted them and let them know what was up. They let me keep that one and made me a new one for a relatively small fee. They even let me do the custom size option. I sent them all the measurements they needed. Photos of myself and of a jacket (with measurements of it) that was how I wanted it to fit. The new one was better, but still off. They offered to replace it again at no fee at all and I could keep this one too, but I needed it sooner, so they refunded the fee and I used that to tailor the jacket and that did the trick! It fits like a glove now. I used the top to a travel shaving creme can as the thing on his sleeve and printed out the red and blue panel for the other sleeve

The Pants

I ordered a pair of motorcycle riding pants. Had them tailored to fit more like skinny pants like Chris Pratt wears in the movie.

The Boots

I made boot covers from brown and black vinyl. I used decorative brads as the rivets and to hold it all together. I found the rectangular rings on amazon. And I just wore those over my Magnum Mach 1’s.

boots1.jpgboots2.jpgboots3.JPGboots4.jpgboots5.jpg

The Rocket Boosters

I made these from cut PVC board, cardboard, dollar store flashlights, nail polish tops, and small greebles. I used aluminum tape to hold the flashlights to the middle section and used electrical tape for the black details.

rocket_bosters1.jpgrocket_bosters4.jpgrocket_bosters3.jpgrocket_bosters2.jpgrocket_bosters5.jpg

The Rocket Controllers

These were from metal decorative 3M wall hangers. I unscrewed the hook on them and put a button on it. I just drew on the detail lines with a sharpie. I glued these to a cut piece of craft foam and glued them on the pants.

rocket_controller1.jpgrocket_controller2.jpgrocket_controller3.jpg

The Blasters

Nerf blasters repainted.

blaster2.JPGblaster1.JPG

The Holsters

Cut craft foam. I used 3M wall hangers as the blaster holster. Glued those on to the craft foam and them glued those onto the pants.

blaster_holster1.jpgblaster_holster2.JPG

The Belt

This was made from the same vinyl that I made the boot covers from. Just cut the multiple layers and glued them together. I made the “D” rings from PVC board and the buckle from styrene sheets and craft foam and just took an exacto to distress it.

belt1.jpgbelt02.jpgbelt3.jpgbelt4.JPGbelt5.JPGbelt6.JPGbelt7.JPG

The Shirt

Asphalt grey tshirt from American Apparel.

boots1.jpg

boots2.jpg

boots3.JPG

boots4.jpg

boots5.jpg

rocket_bosters1.jpg

rocket_bosters2.jpg

rocket_bosters3.jpg

rocket_bosters4.jpg

rocket_bosters5.jpg

rocket_controller1.jpg

rocket_controller2.jpg

rocket_controller3.jpg

blaster1.JPG

blaster2.JPG

blaster_holster1.jpg

blaster_holster2.JPG

belt1.jpg

belt02.jpg

belt3.jpg

belt4.JPG

belt5.JPG

belt6.JPG

belt7.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Star Lord build (yes another one)

The Mask

This was the Diamond Select Disguise mask. I repainted it and removed the fabric eyes and got a shinier fabric that I could still see through and replaced it.

mask2.jpgmask1.jpg

The Walkman

This was the replica walkman canteen. I sanded down some of the raised text to get it smooth. I painted it to match the correct color. I found some vinyl decals on easy to make it more authentic. And printed out the cassette tape to put in the window. I put an iPod inside to have the soundtrack on loop. The headphones I got online and painted them to more closely match the movie.

walkman3.jpgwalkman2.jpgwalkman1.jpg

Overall, I’m pretty pleased with it. I have been working away from home for the past 4 months, so it was challenging to get this all done as I don’t have all my normal supplies with me. Working in a hotel room was a challenge as well. I definitely want to come back and work on a few things. I want to make the helmet a full wrap around. I want to distress and weather the blasters. I forgot a couple details on the belt. The blaster holsters ripped off the pants and so I want to go back and make those from vinyl as well. Other than that it held up good.

Here are a few shots of it all together.

star_lord3.jpgstar_lord4.jpgstar_lord5.jpgstar_lord1.jpgstar_lord2.jpg

star_lord1.jpg

star_lord2.jpg

star_lord3.jpg

star_lord4.jpg

star_lord5.jpg

mask1.jpg

mask2.jpg

walkman1.jpg

walkman2.jpg

walkman3.jpg

Nice work, you done a great job with this costume.!
And doing it while being away from home, as well... WOW...!!!

Nice work, you done a great job with this costume.!
And doing it while being away from home, as well... WOW...!!!

Thanks! It was tough. I did have to make a trip back home for a wedding and I brought a few things with me to try and get as much done as I could. Not having a seeing machine was one of the hardest parts. But, not having a good area to spray paint was a PITA.

Do you have a Pic of the back of your Boots...?

Ask and ye shall receive.

boots6.jpgboots7.jpgboots8.jpg

Mate, you have seriously done an Outstanding Effort on those...!!! [emoji15]

Mate, you have seriously done an Outstanding Effort on those...!!! [emoji15]

Thanks! It was a fun one to work on too. I hope to make some modifications to this one and wear it again to a con in the coming year as well.

Man, fantastic job specifically on the boot chaps! Everything else was nice, but those were the standout piece IMHO considering the level of detail and relative simplicity with which you did them. I made quickie ones out of pleather and craft foam for Halloween, but have since acquired a well-worn pair of actual riding half-chaps (originally almost $300/pair, but I got them for 20 bucks all beat up, which works well for this costume!) that I'm going to use from here on in.

Cheers!

Man, fantastic job specifically on the boot chaps! Everything else was nice, but those were the standout piece IMHO considering the level of detail and relative simplicity with which you did them. I made quickie ones out of pleather and craft foam for Halloween, but have since acquired a well-worn pair of actual riding half-chaps (originally almost $300/pair, but I got them for 20 bucks all beat up, which works well for this costume!) that I'm going to use from here on in.

Cheers!

Thanks!
I really appreciate that! I'd love to see pics of the half chaps you have, I love the idea of some really nice worn in weathered looking ones. I plan on doing that for mine as well.

Great job. The LED flashlight idea is inspired, and they light up! Can you tell me what which 3M wall hangers you used for the rocket controls and gun holsters?

Great job. The LED flashlight idea is inspired, and they light up! Can you tell me what which 3M wall hangers you used for the rocket controls and gun holsters?

Thanks!

The wall hangers I used were these:

Gun Holsters:
http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3...o-Hook?N=5924736+3293908206+3294529207&rt=rud

Rocket Controls:
http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3...l-Hook?N=5924736+3294529207+3294736533&rt=rud

I am going to look for another solution for the gun holsters. The only issue was that the tended to fall out if my leg moved at just the right angle when walking.

Thanks, I'm thinking magnets in the gun handles and behind the leather will keep it against the leg and the hook will keep it steady.

Great use of the 3M wall hangers.
To keep your guns on your hip how about a small rare earth magnet inside your blaster and the clip?

Hey, I would like to mock-up my own boot tops the same way you did. I'm going to try it in craft foam, though. (Is that dumb?) Can you tell me what belt loop rings and brads you got from amazon?

I'm thinking of trying out your rocket start button idea, as well! It's funny, I've got those hooks in my house and look at them all the time.

The Boots

I made boot covers from brown and black vinyl. I used decorative brads as the rivets and to hold it all together. I found the rectangular rings on amazon. And I just wore those over my Magnum Mach 1’s.

View attachment 399695View attachment 399696View attachment 399697View attachment 399698View attachment 399699

Hey, I would like to mock-up my own boot tops the same way you did. I'm going to try it in craft foam, though. (Is that dumb?) Can you tell me what belt loop rings and brads you got from amazon?

I'm thinking of trying out your rocket start button idea, as well! It's funny, I've got those hooks in my house and look at them all the time.

I'd say that it's not dumb if you are just making a mock up, but for wearing them, I can tell you from experience that they will fall apart after (or during) the first use.

Here are the rings
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UXBRE0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't have a link to the brads, but I got them from a craft store (Michaels)

You don't, by chance, have the stock number for those brads, now, do you? :cool

I'd say that it's not dumb if you are just making a mock up, but for wearing them, I can tell you from experience that they will fall apart after (or during) the first use.

Here are the rings
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UXBRE0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't have a link to the brads, but I got them from a craft store (Michaels)

Hey Gang!

I had planned on doing AoU Captain America for the Wizard World Comic Con here in Richmond. I knew I wasn't going to have enough time to dedicate to that, so I decided to update my Star Lord instead. And I am so happy I did!

I started out by changing the jacket color. I had gotten Cosplay Sky's jacket, and it is very red. I wanted to make it more burgundy to be closer to screen accurate. I used Duplicolor vinyl and fabric spray paint and just taped off the areas I didn't want to get paint on (basically just the hardware). It took two coats in some places, but the color is pretty even. I left some areas a little distressed looking to ad to the age and usage of the jacket. The paint sprays on very easy, but It does make it slightly stiff (think like a heavily starched shirt), but after some wear, it loosened up. The material on this coat is not the best pleather in the world and tears very easily, so I did run into some issues when taping the coat and then removing the tape.

update_jacket.jpg

I also decided to make an orb. I got a compacted styrofoam sphere from the craft store and drew the design on it with a sharpie based off of screen shots. I then used a fine tip etching bit for a dremel to carve it all out. It took four hours to carve altogether. Couple things to note about the dremel and this ball. the styrofoam will melt and stick to the bit and then twirl around it almost like cotton candy. It then immediately cools and hardens. I had to stop occasionally to break it off of the bit. After the carving was done, I sanded it a little to get rid of any major stragglers and then used a cleaning brush to scrub out loose styrofoam from the nooks and crannies. I then used a mix of metallic black acrylic paint and satin black acrylic paint (just the cheap kind form the craft store) and coated the sphere several times. After it had dried, I dry brushed on silver acrylic paint, but did not like the look of it and immediately changed to gunmetal (again, just the cheap kind). I am really pleased with the outcome and since it is foam, it was light as a feather and super durable. I tossed it around and was never afraid that if it dropped it would get damaged. I plan on displaying it on my prop shelf for sure!

update_orb1.jpg update_orb2.jpg update_orb3.jpg update_orb4.jpg update_orb5.jpg update_orb6.jpg

I updated several other parts of the costume, but have not had the chance/forgot to take pictures of it all. I will add some later if I remember, but we are moving to a new house, so a lot of things are packed away.
I updated:
The pants: they now have a vinyl blaster holster padding on the pants and updated clips to hold in the blasters and are a charcoal grey (I used the duplicolor on them too in charcoal grey)
The blasters: added some weathering and blue details to the "barrel"
The bag: made a super quick strap and faux buckle and put it on a "close enough for me" bag I found online (it fit the orb perfectly)
The belt: instead of being glued together it is not sewn together and has the missing detail that it did not have before.
I will do my nest to get pics of this all later.

Other than that, this was the first con that my son has ever been to (well, he walked in the door of one of the hotels of dragon con when he was 2 and that was enough for him, I still owe my wife for taking care of him during that trip) and he decided he wanted to dress up as well. I asked who he wanted to be and he said Rocket Raccoon (I swear there was no prompting from me). Since I only had a couple weeks to throw that together, pack for moving, finish mine, and still work, I decided to buy the rubies costume and add on to it. I knew he would not wear the big mask it had, so I made him a foam one and got raccoon ears and tail. I found these great nerf guns and pained them black and made a harness for them. He was stoked!! We were a huge hit!

Here are some pics from the con, enjoy!

update_RRmask.jpg update_fullsuit1.jpg update_fullsuit2.jpg update_fullsuit3.jpg update_fullsuit4.jpg update_fullsuit5.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back