My 1st Prop from Scratch - Hellboy's Big Baby Build Thread

Got a bit more done this weekend. Screw heads are in, strap mounts are in (they're not perfect, but were the closest I could find). Everything is glued and screwed together now. I think all that's left is the painted age/wear layer. It's a bit dusty atm...

Thanks for the kid words guys! Been super swamped at work (school), go figure - they think it's more important to do report cards than work on Big Baby?!?!

Here's a few more updates, a bit of aging (which I'm not in love with yet) and a fully 3D printed shell casing that worked out sooooo sweetly.

Oh ya, forgot 2 things. I know I still have to draw the bottle on the ammo, gotta print out a few more 1st. Also, I've uploaded the 3D file for the shell to thingiverse. If you've got a 3D printer, head over there and grab yourself the file! MAd props to Kenzo for the excellent job on the shell. I can't believe how cool these actually look, couldn't keep my hands off them all weekend :love

Thats very cool. Should be getting a 3D printer soon so might go and grab that file.

Thanks again for all the measurements, we made it exactly from your measurements. It even slips into the barrel :lol

Mine was done on a Makerbot Replicator 2X - I'd highly recommend it!

I too am looking to build one of these bad ass big baby's. If I could get any kind of measurements and details on it too it would be greatly appreciated. And this looks phenomenal. I wanna make this and the Samaritan. those are two of my favorite movie guns.

very nice. it inspired me to built one. would you send me measurements and details? thanks in advance.

I too am looking to build one of these bad ass big baby's. If I could get any kind of measurements and details on it too it would be greatly appreciated. And this looks phenomenal. I wanna make this and the Samaritan. those are two of my favorite movie guns.

I learned this when I first joined, you don't get anything out us by just asking. But if start your own research, we will gladly give hints and help to help you along. But you need to prove that you are willing to spend time and possibly money on these things in order to get help.

Just sticking a hand out and saying "Feed med, Seymore" doesn't get you very far. Remember that this hobby is founded on talent and skills. And you show that you have those others will come to your aid.

I am doing some research on it. I know people have said its 10" W. Is that an outside dia? And the barrels inside, was 2" PVC used? Cause it looks really spaced out in the pictures, but In my initial drawings to get an idea of what I'd need it seems kinda spaced out. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Sorry, been busy with school starting back up. Big baby is done, I'll get a decent camera and send some pics soon. As far as size, on the 1st page is the 1:1 image I made in corel draw. I printed that out and used it to make all the parts.

Hope that helps

- - - Updated - - -

I am doing some research on it. I know people have said its 10" W. Is that an outside dia? And the barrels inside, was 2" PVC used? Cause it looks really spaced out in the pictures, but In my initial drawings to get an idea of what I'd need it seems kinda spaced out. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Again, check out the 1st page, the jpg in my 2nd post has the dimensions was exported from corel draw and should be a 1:1 for size. Hope that helps

- - - Updated - - -

Wow! That is an AWESOME build!! Looks fantastic.

What method did you use to shape the MDF rings?

I used autocad and then had them CNC cut. My original plan was to do it by hand, but it's tough to cut a circle exactly; BUT in the end, it was all covered in bondo anyways so one could probably just jigsaw them?!?

- - - Updated - - -

I learned this when I first joined, you don't get anything out us by just asking. But if start your own research, we will gladly give hints and help to help you along. But you need to prove that you are willing to spend time and possibly money on these things in order to get help.

Just sticking a hand out and saying "Feed med, Seymore" doesn't get you very far. Remember that this hobby is founded on talent and skills. And you show that you have those others will come to your aid.

HEHE - feed me seymore - nice.

and I hear ya, everything was initiated by me with tons of help from the amazing RPF. Podman gave me tons of measurements from his prop. And all those measurements are located throughout this thread

- - - Updated - - -

And ya, I used 2" PVC pipes

Last edited:
If you want the exact measurements get them from someone that has the sideshow version.
My mate made big baby for the movie and he had to send the original moulds he made that were used for the screen used hero big baby to sideshow. So theirs is as close as you'll get in terms of accurate sizing.

Hope this helps.

Mark.

So here it is, my final version of Big Baby. It's been done for a while, but just haven't had time to take some pics. Thanks to everyone who helped with my 1st prop from scratch.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back