ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

I think that's because it's engineered to fit on a Denix lower base - and a big part of the "Denix" look is, in my opinion, are the contours of the ejection port scallops, which are just plain wrong on the Denix, and even a little off on the MGC. The sight ramp could be a little cleaner too, but I think that's just the engraving on it. :D

Still, if these could be offered for an MGC or a live fire Mauser, then go for it! (And make one for me too!!!) XD

I would have copied a MGC but I don't own one. I made the first "proto" with a manual machine from aluminum
just to see if I could do it. The blued upper is made from 12L14 and the sight was hand stamped because I
didn't have my CNC running yet. All the others were made by CNC in various stages.I didn't have a CAD/CAM
at the time so everything you see was programmed by hand.

Ah, I understand. If you were at all interested, I have a spare MGC that I could loan for measurements, provided that I could get it well insured against being lost or stolen. It has been very slightly modified, but not in any ways that would cause major measurements to be off.

I could give it a try. I'd probably have to make another proto and make sure it fits the "lower" (I'm using AR15 terms here).
I'm also sure that it's going to take more tooling because the upper for the Denix just screws on and has pins that attach
it to the rear. If I remember correctly the MGC as well as the real Mauser has a key way cut into the upper.
The bright side to a new upper is all the engraving will be there and the bull barrel and upper will be machined as one unit.
There will be no need for a sleeve that fits over the original barrel.

Exactly my thoughts - If this could be done, then that would be AWSOME. The only major thing that I would change between the MGC upper that you would make is the contours of the ejection port scallops, the shape and location of the two holes behind them, and the way the extractor is pinned to the slide, so as to not have that ugly pin visible. Just let me know if you would be interested to try to work something out!

After putting it off long enough, I finally got around to it; I just about finished reshaping the trigger guard blending on my MGC Mauser! It took me about an hour and a half, maybe two, and my fingertips are hurting bad, which is making typing this a pain in my neck. I might have claw hands for the next day or two as well. So, here's a quick pic:

20140806_184004.jpg

It's still not 100% complete, on either side, but I'm quite proud of myself - I used my vintage cast aluminum Mauser as a reference, so while I may have eyeballed it a little, I think I got close enough.

And while I'm at it, I might as well show another, this time of my nearly fully assembled DL-44 (excluding the T track and pushrods).

20140806_183946.jpg

She now sports my steel and brass run 2 scope that I bought from somebody awesome here, as well as a freshly polished scope mount. I'm STILL working on closing the gap between the mount and the upper rings. It's very slow coming, but it is gradually getting smaller. I am also planning on replacing my zinc grill with an aluminum one in the near future as well, but that's yet to come.

Also going to reshape my second MGC trigger, and will be a little more careful than the first one, which works fine, but sits a little loose now.

Thoughts/ideas/opinions anybody? :angel

Also now wondering why the bull barrel issue wasn't caught WAY before it was - If I recall correctly, we had access to still frames from the Naked Runner, where the original bull barreled Mauser made its debut appearance. In this pic here

vlcsnap2011062216h59m25[1].png

you can very clearly see the flat section of the bull barrel, especially if you look at the very end of the barrel, you can see that flat edge as opposed to the cylindrical barrel. You can also make out the left (from our position) edge of the underside of the flat section's taper if you look closely.

Also now wondering why the bull barrel issue wasn't caught WAY before it was - If I recall correctly, we had access to still frames from the Naked Runner, where the original bull barreled Mauser made its debut appearance. In this pic here

View attachment 360404

you can very clearly see the flat section of the bull barrel, especially if you look at the very end of the barrel, you can see that flat edge as opposed to the cylindrical barrel. You can also make out the left (from our position) edge of the underside of the flat section's taper if you look closely.

Where were you... ; )

of course now we see it "clearly" but the images and stills we had were not as good as this still and as said, now that we know it makes sense.
Where did you get the still. It is much cleaner than the ones we used. ?

Where were you... ; )

of course now we see it "clearly" but the images and stills we had were not as good as this still and as said, now that we know it makes sense.
Where did you get the still. It is much cleaner than the ones we used. ?

I was a long time lurker, as I joined back before the RPF moved over and changed, and I got out of it for a while. I was also busy w/ High School. As for the picture, it's on the parts of Star Wars website, along with several other still from the Naked Runner, one other pic in their gallery shows the flat bottom as well, if you look in the same spot.

I'm still personally convinced that the Naked Runner Mauser upper is different from the one used in Star Wars, even though they were both bull barreled, though that's open to controversy.

... only the grip (wood and metal) is smaller as far as I understand. It is just flattened on the ball end of the grip.

Depending on the planned use, you could put full size grips on it and fill the rounded area with bondo or JB if you were painting it anyway...

With the bolo, the barrel length is also only about 4 inches, so if you were going to do a blaster out of it, you would be restricted in that way. But yes, the grip frame is too small, is shaped differently, and there are minor differences in the dimensions between models, like trigger shape, hammer dimensions, etc.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back