Tron Legacy Costume

New update:

Finally got the helmet in. The mail service got our address wrong so it took a while for it to arrive. We ended up having to go and pick it up.

Anyway, when I tried on the helmet it turned out to be way too big (because it was made to fit an adult male and I'm a petite female). J (my fiancee) has spent the last day working on shrinking it for me. He had to dremel the white resin visor off, as well as trim the resin base about an inch and a half in (he's currently trimming it a little bit more so the two halves match together). After that he trimmed and heat shaped the plastic visor to fit the new base. He still isn't 100% finished, but it fits a lot better than it did.

Once everything fits together properly we're going to tint the visor, paint the base, stick em together, drill holes in the back, drill holes for the lights, install the lights, and then finish off with the padding. I'm also adding Rinzler's humming sound to the helmet as a little bonus detail.

More to come soon! I'll have proper photos next time.

Helmet was made by Art Funk.

Attachments

• THIS.png
    THIS.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 481
Last edited:
Aww, thank you!

I thought about it, but I was so nervous of what people would say. I figured posting on here, with all of the other Tron fans, would help me get used to the website as well as gain some feedback from fellow fans.

You guys have been most helpful to me from the get go on this costume (I kept track of this thread when considering making Rinzler, saving references and tips before I made an account). It felt awesome being welcomed into the thread with open arms.

I started work on the remake of my Clu helmet. It's a heavily modded version of the pep file since the back and sides weren't as accurate as I liked. It's been resined on the outside and rondoed on the inside so far and is ready for smoothing. Excuse the crappy cell phone pic. I'll have more once I start the bondo/sanding process.

428742_10100654748720328_21700029_52162510_1444264865_n.jpg

Does anyone make good and accurate Legacy costumes on commission? I'd love to get me a Clu costume, but have no idea where I could commission such a piece. Any help would be appreciated.

Got another update: http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2...__07___helmet_02_by_petitealtesse-d4rbdd8.png

(Sorry for the messy work room. We're in the middle of remodeling it. lol)

The first picture is showing the original size of the helmet compared to the size it is now. My fiancee took it in about 50%.

The next pictures are to show the helmet on me (now with tint). And I know... I need to polish it. lol

The bottom two are to show the hands lit up, both in light, and in dark. Now, they are not done. I know they look rough right now. This is all the base. There will be more details added.

We also put on layer of black latex paint onto the chest and some on the legs.

I feel like an idiot for posting on the old forum (I wasn't aware of the hacking =_=) great to see everyone's costumes coming together so well! :D

I'm still waiting for my shipment from CoolNeon..since Novemberish last year. By now I think USPS has swallowed all my EL tapes whole :(

Looks good. What did you use to tint your helmet?

I used a brand that Volpin recommended: VHT Nightshades

It's on Amazon for about $6. I would highly recommend it as opposed to getting a can of spray tint from Auto Zone. I tried the Rustoleum brand and I could not see what so ever. It was very blurry and splotchy. VHT is literally like looking out of a dark pair of sunglasses. It'll be hard to see at night, but during the day it should be fine.

I used a brand that Volpin recommended: VHT Nightshades

It's on Amazon for about $6. I would highly recommend it as opposed to getting a can of spray tint from Auto Zone. I tried the Rustoleum brand and I could not see what so ever. It was very blurry and splotchy. VHT is literally like looking out of a dark pair of sunglasses. It'll be hard to see at night, but during the day it should be fine.
Thanks. I'll have to look into that. I was also considering limo window tint film since the lenses for my helmet are pretty much flat.

Agreed on the VHT NiteShades. Good stuff. I found that my Advance Autoparts store carries it. ~3 passes 10min. apart should give you a nice tinted look.

What i'd like to know is what removes it if you put too much on? I've tried paint thinner & brake fluid to no effect. Tough stuff!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back