ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Great looking blaster so far, Machiavelli!

Just a quick q - can anyone tell me the outer diameter of the bull barrel in mm's please?

The Hero's bull barrel, starting at the seam line between it and the Mauser receiver is roughly at 22.2mm but that will vary from Mauser to Mauser. And it tapers from there at about .7 degrees outward towards the end of the barrel. An MGC starts around 22.67mm, and the Denix starts roughly at 22.75mm.

Funny enough, 2 and 22 are strangely common numbers to see all over the parts of this prop. Another example is the scope which is around 22.3mm in diameter and roughly 222mm in length.

-Carson

Carson, thanks for the numbers! I haven't got the £'s for a machined bull barrel so I'm going to have a go at my own with some tubing!

Cheers

Andy

This hadn't occurred to me until just now.. Anyone else notice that the crossbar weathering gets much more chipped between the photo-shoot photos and the chronicles photos?
I've stared at these pictures God knows how many times over the last two years and never realized that the crossbar paint was relatively clean in that photo.
..I guess I've been paying too much attention to the geometry of the parts rather than the finish of the prop. :p

QbwLkW2v.png

-Carson

Last edited:
Just a quick q - can anyone tell me the outer diameter of the bull barrel in mm's please?

about 23.6mm at the large end, then tapers down to about 22mm

- - - Updated - - -

oops! I just saw carson answered that already, this last page didn't come up when I hit the last button,
I have been having a few small issues with the web site lately.

about 23.6mm at the large end, then tapers down to about 22mm

- - - Updated - - -

oops! I just saw carson answered that already, this last page didn't come up when I hit the last button,
I have been having a few small issues with the web site lately.

No worries, thanks for the help! :)

This hadn't occurred to me until just now.. Anyone else notice that the crossbar weathering gets much more chipped between the photo-shoot photos and the chronicles photos?
I've stared at these pictures God knows how many times over the last two years and never realized that the crossbar paint was relatively clean in that photo.

-Carson

yeah it looks like they had the mount off quite a few times, probably from all the times he dropped it LOL

... Yes, that extra s c r a p e seems to be from sliding the mount off and on the crossbar. They scraped the paint off exactly where the mount has to slide over the bar which is why the scrape has perpendicular edges. The big dot scrape between the front knob on the crossbar and center knob on the mount is exactly where the center knob screw comes thru the mount. Prob hit as they attached the mount. Maybe they took it apart after production to clean or save and reassembled it for the archive/ chronicles image.

...careful assembly = saved paint!

...but you can easily weather the crossbar by painting it and then sliding the mount on and off a few times...presto! an authentic hero weathing pattern!
; )

Last edited:
Hey All,
I accidentally cracked my rear crystal on the scope drilling a hole to receive the small screws, so Dave hooked me up with another set. Thanks so much for making this journey possible!! I used JB Weld to help secure the front grill, the barrel parts, and the flash hider to ensure there was no rattling of the parts. Here's my final DL-44 build up with weathering:
Started with the Denix:

Scraped off the paint, sanded off the Denix logo, and drilled/tapped holes

With the mount attached:

Now assembled and painted:

The mystery disk side:

Top view:

I didn't go for screen accurate mods to the Denix or the blaster weathering, but I'm very happy with the final product.
-JD

Good work, but if I may suggest a couple tweaks:

Move your scope BACK some. There should only be about a 1-1.5mm gap from the windage knob to the first clamp/ring.

Second, you may want to file your barrel down a little and move the bull barrel closer to the body of the gun.

It's sure a cool thing to hold isn't it?

Kind of off topic, but I have a question all the experts here could probably answer without me making a seperate thread.

I have a Denix I got about 8 years ago. I wanted to strip the paint off so I could use PermaBlue to re-color and weather it.

I started using Oven Cleaner, sprayed heavy and inside a plastic bag overnight. The next day I tried a tooth brush and a wire brush to remove the paint. Didn't work at all.

I tried the Oven Cleaner again, heavier spray and a few days. Again, paint still firm using a wire brush.

I bought 'Paint Stripper' and did the same thing, heavy coats and soaking a few days in a sealed plastic bag. Again, it barely took off any paint.

The only success I had was using a wire wheel in the drill press, but it wouldn't take all the paint off and on some pieces pitted the metal a little.

At $25 for a gallon for laquer thinner I don't want to invest in it unless it's really the best stuff to use to get it down to bare silver metal.

Don't use a wire brush and drill press!

Not sure what others have used...maybe bluing remover or vinegar

..but a light sanding with fine sandpaper or 0000 steel wool works great

Don't rub off the edges or round them. Keep the flats...flat with a small flat block wrapped with sandpaper.

You can fix the pitting by smoothing the area. Don't worry about small scratches as this will look authentic like a real Mauser.

ps:

make sure you field strip ( take apart) the Denix and wash off all the paint stripper with a lot of water! Or it may leach out of the cavities when you don't want it too. It stays live for quite a while and will burn you!

"I didn't go for screen accurate mods to the Denix or the blaster weathering, but I'm very happy with the final product.
-JD[/QUOTE]"

Hey JD - You did great and it looks awesome! Nice Job!

Kind of off topic, but I have a question all the experts here could probably answer without me making a seperate thread.

I have a Denix I got about 8 years ago. I wanted to strip the paint off so I could use PermaBlue to re-color and weather it.

I started using Oven Cleaner, sprayed heavy and inside a plastic bag overnight. The next day I tried a tooth brush and a wire brush to remove the paint. Didn't work at all.

I tried the Oven Cleaner again, heavier spray and a few days. Again, paint still firm using a wire brush.

I bought 'Paint Stripper' and did the same thing, heavy coats and soaking a few days in a sealed plastic bag. Again, it barely took off any paint.

The only success I had was using a wire wheel in the drill press, but it wouldn't take all the paint off and on some pieces pitted the metal a little.

At $25 for a gallon for laquer thinner I don't want to invest in it unless it's really the best stuff to use to get it down to bare silver metal.

I've had good results soaking Denix parts in Simple Green for 24hrs.

Good work...

It's sure a cool thing to hold isn't it?

Thanks scottjua! Coming from you, that means A LOT. I've admired your builds for some time. Good tips! I'll tweak her a bit. It is ridiculously awesome to hold!!! I brought her into work and a local gun store... Everyone freaks about about Han Solo's gun...they love it!
Machiavelli, thanks for the props, bro. Yours looks solid!
JD

Also other than steel wool, get some fine grit sanding sponges from Lowes. Cheap and work great!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back