The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

While we're here I have a couple-few questions about the cosutme and its makings overall:

1. I am using a kids' Iron Man mask as the base for my helmet. Can anyone give me a good measurement for the distance between the eyes (outside the trim ring), and the hole diameter for the eye (inside the trim ring)? I'll use those measurements to scale my construction - this is one that I can't freaking eyeball, due to the differences in the way the two masks relate positionwise to the head of the wearer.

2. How's everybody planning to darken up the red jackets? Both the trench and the jacket look to be significantly darker than the pieces being produced (like, oxblood vs. cherry, rather than just needing a bit of weathering).

3. Does anyone else plan to use their phone as the walkman? I'm thinking I could do either the front view as a phone wallpaper, or get a phone case and do the back up like the walkman. I'll need a really good straight on photo of it either way though.

Cheers

1. If you have Pepakura you could use the distance between two points tool to get the measurements you need in relation to the eyes using Helagak's file to at least get an idea.

2. This is a pretty good question, I'm scratch making mine so I'm hoping to buy the right shade of fabric from the start.

3. I'm going to be converting a drinkman to hold my phone and make it look more screen accurate.

My coat that I just received feels dark enough. I bought the slim fit ebay linked one. I would definitely consider it an oxblood color.

Thanks - I bought the ebay one from trading.plus (the only one I've seen with the more accurate arm straps) and am still awaiting delivery, so I haven't seen it in person yet.

I am looking at picking up one of the cast Sony Walkmans out there. Does Anybody have any clue as to the colors to paint it? I believe the blue is some kind of metallic?

Really struggling to think of a inexpensive way of making the ear piece. As I'm going helmet-less I really want to have the ear-piece it goes into when not in use. Any suggestions?

Just sharing some recent ebay joy, I found a auction for a light brown leather trench coat and managed to win it for around $90.

I've noticed that the Star Lord trench coat is more of a aged/distressed leather so I'm going to run some tests with airbrushing diluted leather dye to see if I can match the effect.

IMG_2742.JPGIMG_2743.JPGIMG_2744.JPG

With a little can do attitude and research on the forum, I think you could achieve a much better result out of foam and probably for significantly cheaper. Just my .02 though.

VERTIGO - Thanks and noted. Have been saving 100s of pics to hd, searching, googling and subscribing to the various informational threads here! Alotta good 411 here.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before (I'm sure it has since there are so many threads for it) and I would prefer not to have to dig through the hundreds of pages of threads I'm following to find out but could anyone spare the time to tell me what the dimensions of the boot rockets are? I see lots of 3D file threads and some homemade stuff made from pvc or kids binoculars which are all great but I'd like to get a rough idea of the size I'm working with instead of purely eye-balling it.

Really struggling to think of a inexpensive way of making the ear piece. As I'm going helmet-less I really want to have the ear-piece it goes into when not in use. Any suggestions?
Polymer clay, x-acto cut pieces of cereal box cardboard (a few layers, glued together), laser cut acrylic if you can, a single piece of 1/4 inch masonite sawed and sanded into shape... Lots of good options there.

You could probably do it from foam also, though I'm not sure how to do the light on it. I've also never tried using spirit gum/prosthetic adhesive on foam, so I'm not sure how well it would stick to the foam. Maybe something like toupee tape? I've never tried that before either, but it should work, in theory.

This is an exceptionally good thread. Thanks to all the contributors. After finally seeing GoTG I can poke my head into threads like these without worrying about spoilers lol

That's the great thing about a great movie. It breeds great collaboration and discussion!

I got the trench from cosplaysky. I'll post a rundown of the full coat this weekend. There's a lot of good and some bad with it, but after fighting with them (and getting a partial refund), I think it's a good base to work from.

Just got my jacket!

I ordered it in a custom size so it fits pretty well, but they may have misinterpreted one of my measurements: I gave them the length form my Wolverine jacket, from the base of the collar down the zipper edge to the bottom. I have to check when home, but it feels like this one used that same measurement, but from the top of the collar, since the collar on the starlord jacket isn't exactly a separate area of height. Still, fits and feels ok. The arm straps are way more accurate than the ones I'm seeing with the slider buckles, too, which is great.

That said, 2 things: 1. it's got a left handed zipper, which is odd (a ladies pattern perhaps?), and 2. the red is indeed too bright. I'll probably rub it down with some brown and dirty it up quite a bit.

Pics soon.

One more thing, BTW. I was right, I told them the length of my wolverine jacket from the BASE of the collar, and they made it that length from the TOP of the collar. So it's 1.5" shorter than my wolverine jacket. I can't tell if that makes it look bad. One thing I am seeing is it kind of makes me round, which sucks because i've been becoming less-round all summer. This one has the better straps, AND the whole arm detail flap is sewn down, which is nice. The snaps are all functional at the waist pockets and right-side flap, but not on the sleeves or small mini-flaps.

here is a photo
WGXKwGR.jpg

Last edited:
Last commentary on my jacket. It's not a slim-fit jacket, there's no 'cinch' in the middle like you see with the jacket on screen, like this:
Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-800x800.jpg... which is kind of a shame. This jacket is about 75% right and cost less than half what my Wolverine jacket from Heron did, though. If they're willing to make me another in the right length, I'll ask them if they have a slim fit option. I did get it very quickly, which is nice.

^^^Funny I got mine in today too. I'm actually surprised on the quality of it. With that being said it still needs work. I actually don't like how the arm flaps are sewn down.
X8ibjyg.jpg

And its not leather on leather, under the flap is the inner lining.

I don't think they are in the movie.
KoOp9iB.jpg

SKisHQg.jpg

Yelex7M.jpg

I think the inner seams on both arm flaps are open.

Either way I'm going to open them so I can start embossing the leather to add the raised part on the arm flap

You know, I just had an idea for the triangle pattern on these jackets with the perf leather instead (which is all of them thus far, I think). I'm going to try spraying or "sponge pouncing" either some clear plastidip, or some etching spray, through a radiator screen onto the leather, just to give it a similar tone-on-tone kind of pattern. Anybody ever try this kind of thing with leather before?

I was planning on making a stencil and air brushing it on, but the more i think about it I think sponging would give it a better look. The other odd thing about this jacket that hasn't already been mentioned above is they got the raised leather correct on the left shoulder, but they didn't bother on either arm. I think i'll have to cut the inner lining in order to make the raised part on the right arm

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back